Grigori Yakovlevich Perelman (born 13 June 1966) is a Russian mathematician. He has made contributions to Riemannian geometry and geometric topology. In 1994, Perelman proved the soul conjecture. In 2003, he proved (confirmed in 2006) Thurston's geometrization conjecture. This consequently solved in the affirmative the Poincaré conjecture.
|This article about a mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- If the proof is correct then no other recognition is needed.
- David S. Richeson (8 March 2012). Euler's Gem: The Polyhedron Formula and the Birth of Topology. Princeton University Press. p. 285. ISBN 1-4008-3856-8.
Quotes about Grigori PerelmanEdit
- By the end of 2006 it was generally believed that Perelman’s proof was correct. That year, the journal Science named Perelman’s proof the “Breakthrough of the Year.” Like Smale and Freedman before him, the forty-year old Perelman was tapped to be a Fields Medals recipient for his contributions to the Poincaré conjecture (in fact, Thurston also received a Fields Medal for his work that indirectly led to the final proof). The countdown for the $1 million prize had begun (some wonder if Perelman and Hamilton will be offered the prize jointly).
- David S. Richeson (8 March 2012). Euler's Gem: The Polyhedron Formula and the Birth of Topology. Princeton University Press. p. 284. ISBN 1-4008-3856-8.
- Revolutions in mathematics are quiet affairs. No clashing armies and no guns. Brief news stories far from the front page. Unprepossessing. Just like the raw damp Monday afternoon of April 7, 2003, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Young and old crowded the lecture theater at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). They sat on the floor and in the aisles, and stood at the back. The speaker, Russian mathematician Grigory Perelman, wore a rumpled dark suit and sneakers, and paced while he was introduced.
- Donal O'Shea (30 October 2008). The Poincaré Conjecture: In Search of the Shape of the Universe. Penguin Books Limited. p. 12. ISBN 978-0-14-190034-6.