combustible fuel containing hydrocarbons formed by natural processes such as anaerobic decomposition of buried dead organisms, examples being coal, petroleum and natural gas
(Redirected from Fossil fuels)
Fossil fuels are fuels formed by natural processes such as anaerobic decomposition of buried dead organisms, containing organic molecules originating in ancient photosynthesis that release energy in combustion. Such organisms and their resulting fossil fuels typically have an age of millions of years, and sometimes more than 650 million years. Fossil fuels contain high percentages of carbon and include petroleum, coal, and natural gas. Commonly used derivatives of fossil fuels include kerosene and propane.
- This generation has altered the composition of the atmosphere on a global scale through radioactive materials and a steady increase in carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels.
- Lyndon Johnson, in Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States: Lyndon B. Johnson, 1965, p. 54.
- It seems to me we need something like the Manhattan Project. We need some urgency saying, "Here's what we should be doing. We've got to get off fossil fuels."
- Lee Iacocca, "The Long View: Iacocca Says Detroit Is Living in the Past", Morning Edition, NPR, 26 April 2007.
- At issue is not whether the global economy will pass away. It is passing away. Rising populations and debt combined with depletion of freshwater sources and fossil fuel make the status quo untenable. The only question is whether civil society will survive the transition.
- Daniel Suarez, Freedom (2010) Chapter 6: Waymeet.
- We have a moral responsibility to help working families in the fossil fuel industry find new jobs.
- Bernie Sanders, in "Sanders Introduces Major Clean Energy Jobs Package", 8 December 2015.
- We have a moral responsibility to stand up to the fossil fuel industry and leave our children a healthy and habitable planet.
- Bernie Sanders, statement, 4 January 2016.
- To control global warming, only one solution: stop burning fossil fuels.
- Jacques Dubochet, Parcours, Éditions Rosso, 2018, page 153 (ISBN 9782940560097).