polar region on the Earth's northern hemisphere
- Even in our day, science suspects beyond the Polar seas, at the very circle of the Arctic Pole, the existence of a sea which never freezes and a continent which is ever green.
- As I stood there on the top of the world and I thought of the hundreds of men who had lost their lives in the effort to reach it [North Pole], I felt profoundly grateful that I had the honor of representing my race.
- The fiery skies of the winter, the summer nights' miraculous sun.
Walk against the wind. Climb mountains.
Look to the North.
- O proudly name their names who bravely sail|
To seek brave lost in Arctic snows and seas!
- Iceland, though it lies so far to the north that it is partly within the Arctic Circle, is, like Norway, Scotland, and Ireland, affected by the Gulf Stream, so that considerable portions of it are quite habitable.
- Oh!" said Pooh again. "What is the North Pole?" "It's just a thing you discover," said Christopher Robin, not being quite sure himself.
- Far to the North under the Great Bear, Sápmi shines.
Ridge upon ridge, lake stretching into lake.
Rocky cliffs, craggy peaks point to the sky.
Streams laugh, woods whisper.
Steely precipices drop, descend into the stormy sea.
- Hidden in wonder and snow, or sudden with summer, This land stares at the sun in a huge silence Endlessly repeating something we cannot hear. Inarticulate, arctic, Not written on by history, empty as paper, It leans away from the world with songs in its lakes Older than love, and lost in the miles.
- As an eyewitness to the changing topography of the Arctic, I was stunned to see the rapid repercussions of global warming for the region, its wildlife habitat and indigenous cultures.