Elizabeth Lynne Cheney (/ˈtʃeɪni/; born July 28, 1966) is an American attorney and politician who has been the U.S. representative for Wyoming's at-large congressional district since 2017. She was Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs in the George W. Bush administration and chaired the House Republican Conference, the third-highest position in the House Republican leadership, from 2019 to 2021.
- The U.S. does not torture; in fact, what holds up the release from Guantanamo is getting a guarantee from their governments that they won't be tortured. Guantanamo and prisons in Afghanistan are completely consistent with international obligations. Just because the Geneva Convention might not technically apply does not mean that America does not treat people with the spirit of the convention. . . . While we are doing things militarily in the war on terror, we are also spreading hope and opportunity so that the young people do not become recruits for the terrorists.
- Maha Akeel, Arab News, "Correcting Perceptions About America is My Job: Liz Cheney," Nov. 16, 2005"
- Sometimes there is a tendency to talk about women as though we are a herd...women believe this or women want that. But we very much vote on the issues depending on what's important.
- G. Robert Hillman, "New Bush Campaign Aims to Appeal to Women Voters," Dallas Morning News, May 12, 2004.
- Find something you really love and make it your career. Don't let anyone discourage you or tell you it's not practical. I have loved the Middle East since I was a little girl. I read my first book about ancient Egypt when I was 10, and I've been hooked ever since. . . I have been blessed to have had great, strong women mentors, beginning with my mother. I have also met incredibly impressive women in the Arab world. They are demonstrating enormous courage as they work to expand women's rights and human freedom in their countries. I am inspired to work harder every time I spend time with them.
- Barbara Kantrowitz and Holly Peterson, "What I Learned: Whether they're running universities, political campaigns or major corporations, these 11 remarkable women have found their own ways of overcoming obstacles," Newsweek, October 15, 2007.
- It is incredible, but not surprising, that the Democrats would try to remove God from committee proceedings in one of their first acts in the majority. They really have become the party of Karl Marx,” she added.
- House democrats to strike 'so help me God' from oath, Breitbart News 29 January 2019
- On January 6, 2021 a violent mob attacked the United States Capitol to obstruct the process of our democracy and stop the counting of presidential electoral votes. This insurrection caused injury, death and destruction in the most sacred space in our Republic. .... The President of the United States summoned this mob, assembled the mob, and lit the flame of this attack. .... There has never been a greater betrayal by a President of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution. I will vote to impeach the President.
- King, Ledyard (January 13, 2021). "Read the statement from GOP Rep. Liz Cheney, chair of the House GOP Conference, on why she'll vote to impeach Donald Trump". USA Today. Retrieved on January 13, 2021.
- The 2020 presidential election was not stolen. Anyone who claims it was is spreading THE BIG LIE, turning their back on the rule of law, and poisoning our democratic system.
- Alex Rogers and Manu Raju (May 3, 2021). "Cheney calls out Trump's latest attempt to promote 'BIG LIE' amid criticism from within her own party". cnn.com. Retrieved on May 7, 2021.
- Mr. Bannon's and Mr. Trump's privilege arguments do appear to reveal one thing, however: they suggest that President Trump was personally involved in the planning and execution of January 6th
- These text messages leave no doubt: The White House knew exactly what was happening here at the Capitol
- Donald Trump Jr. said his father needed to 'condemn' Capitol violence as it unfolded, Meadows' texts reveal (Updated 0624 GMT (1424 HKT) December 14, 2021)
Quotes about CheneyEdit
- Rep. Liz Cheney, daughter of Dick, is trying to prolong her father's endless war in Afghanistan. [...] Colorado's freshman Democratic Rep. Jason Crow teamed up with Republican Rep. Liz Cheney to advance legislation that would make it more difficult for any president to draw down troop deployments in Afghanistan. I live in the same media market as Crow's district. I can tell you that his 2018 campaign was focused on gun control. It was not a campaign promising voters that he would go to Washington to make common cause with Liz Cheney, and help her efforts to glorify and fortify her daddy's policy of endless war. But that’s exactly what his bill does. [...] Cheney initiatives that may seem superficially reasonable when calmly uttered by a Cheney usually have an insane ulterior motive. In this case, that truism applies: The Crow-Cheney legislation may sound like it includes reasonable requests, but they are designed to make the Afghanistan deployment permanent. In practice, nobody can predict with 100 percent certainty what will ensue once a nineteen-year military occupation ends. What we can know is that it's a bad idea to continue a policy that isn't working — and there’s plenty of evidence that it isn’t.
- Official website
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Profile at Vote Smart
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission
- Legislation sponsored at the Library of Congress
- 2014 Campaign contributions at OpenSecrets.org
- Appearances on C-SPAN