Elijah Cummings (18 January 1951 – 17 October 2019) was an American politician of the Democratic Party who served as the U.S. Representative for Maryland's 7th congressional district from 1996 to 2019. He previously served in the Maryland House of Delegates.
|This article about a political figure is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I’ve often said our children are the living messages we send to a future that we will never see. But now our children are sending us to a future that they will never see. There’s something wrong with this picture.
- Speech at the funeral of Freddie Gray (April 27, 2015)
- I want to first of all, thank you. I know that this has been hard. I know that you face a lot. I know that you are worried about your family — but this is part of your destiny. And, hopefully, this portion of your destiny will lead to a better — a better, a better Michael Cohen, a better Donald Trump, a better United States of America and a better world.
And I mean that from the depths of my heart.
When we’re dancing with the angels, the question will be asked: "In 2019, what did we do to make sure we kept our democracy intact?" Did we stand on the sidelines and say nothing? … Come on, now — we can do more than one thing. And we have got to get back to normal.
- Closing statement to public hearing of Michael Cohen before Congress (27 February 201) · "WATCH: Cummings says Cohen seems to be 'crying out' to keep democracy intact" PBS News Hour (27 February 2019)
- Cobb, Jelani (October 18, 2019). "What Elijah Cummings Meant to Baltimore". New Yorker (New York).