Dexter (season 7)
season of television series
Dexter (2006–2013) was a television series airing on Showtime, starring Michael C. Hall. Series is about a serial killer with standards who works for the Miami Metro Police Department as a blood-spatter analyst.
Are You...? [7.01]Edit
- Dexter: [Voiceover: It's simple human nature to keep little secrets about ourselves. I dye my hair. I watch internet pornography. But what if your whole life is a secret? A lie. And exposing the truth could destroy everything you are. What do you do? Run?]
- Mike: His car wasn't found at the crime scene - so...how'd he get to the church?
- Debra: I'm guessing that a man who was about to stab himself in the heart with a sword probably wouldn't see a long walk as a big deal.
- Debra: I had this weird flashback of being on Rudy's table...Brian's tab...whatever the fuck you wanna call him - your brother's table.
- Dexter: Sorry, that must have felt...not good for you.
- Debra: It didn't. But what bothers me is that I was set up on that table the same way Travis Marshall was set up on the altar.
- Dexter: Deb...
- Debra: I mean how do you explain that?
- Debra: Does that happen a lot? I...I mean I know I should know his hours and everything, it's just that I'm always juggling things, so...
- Jamie: Oh, yeah. He works crazy hours - lots of nights 'til 3, 4 a.m.
- Debra: Did you kill all these people?
- Dexter: I did.
- Debra: Are you...? Are you a serial killer?
- Dexter: Yes.
Sunshine and Frosty Swirl [7.02]Edit
- Debra: You make it sound like its OK - like you're the victim here. The people in that box, Dexter, they're the victims.
- Dexter: Victims? A choir director who raped and murdered little boys? A married couple smuggling refugees who killed the ones who couldn't pay? A psychiatrist who manipulated women into taking their own lives?
- Dexter: Sometimes the system doesn't work. Killers fall through the cracks.
- Debra: Don't I fucking know it? I'm talking to one right now.
- Debra: How does it feel, this need to kill? What do you call it?
- Dexter: My dark passenger.
- Debra: It sounds like you're possessed or something.
- Dexter: [Voiceover: He never cared if anybody found the bodies. He just wanted a couple of days of sunshine and Frosty Swirl. Randall didn't change. He couldn't take life in prison. Can I?]
Buck the System [7.03]Edit
- Dexter: [Voiceover: I feel trapped - like there's no escape. And it's not because I'm at the post office... She's got me penned in like a caged animal. And an animal is never more dangerous than when it's...backed into a corner.]
- Debra: Can you promise me if that I wasn't on your ass that you wouldn't slip?
- Dexter: I can promise you that if you don't get off my ass something bad is gonna happen.
- Debra: [To Dexter] What is it about your personal law that is so much better than the one that the rest of us agree to live by?
- Debra: Dexter, I've been thinking a lot about Rita. About how she died. She died because of you. Because you were selfish. You have a son. Harrison is three years old. Someone needs to protect him.
- Dexter: I do.
- Debra: Someone needs to protect him from you.
- Dexter: [Voiceover: I don’t run. I make people run. However, I do run when there’s a bull coming after me with an axe.]
Swim Deep [7.05]Edit
- Hannah: [To Dexter] Look at us talking blood and gore like we're on a date sharing our first sexual experience.
- Isaak: That's true. I don't know who you are.
- Dexter: If you ever find out you'll regret it.
- Dexter: [Voiceover: As kids, Deb and I would try to outrun the waves. But I would always end up diving under them, and swim deep - because I could withstand the pull of the tide. But Deb was always safest on shore. From here on out I'll face the depths by myself.]
Do the Wrong Thing [7.06]Edit
- Debra: You had that tenant with that weird fucking name. Lumen? It was her, wasn't it?
- Dexter: It doesn't matter.
- Debra: It was. Jesus fucking Christ, Dexter. You moved your girlfriend into the house where Trinity murdered your wife so you could kill together?
- Dexter: I wanna take you out.
- Hannah: On a date?
- Dexter: Come on, I'm just gonna keep stalking you.
- Hannah: I'm just... I'm just trying to do the right thing.
- Dexter: Do the wrong thing.
- Dexter: [Voiceover: Chemistry. I've heard some people have it - an attraction that can't be quantified or explained. Is that the reason behind this...loss of control? Maybe the desire to get Hannah on my table was just a way to deny the effect she has on me - so now what?]
- Dexter: This can't happen again.
- Hannah: Which part, the horse tranquilizer?
- Dexter: The sex part.
- Hannah: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
- Dexter: [Voiceover: She isn't drawn to my darkness like Lila. Or blind to it like Rita. And she doesn't need it like Lumen. She accepts both sides of me - the whole Dexter. So why am I walking away from this? Because when some chemicals mix, they combust...and explode.]
- Sal Price: You broke into my apartment?
- Dexter: No, I very carefully picked your lock.
- Hannah: [To Dexter] Do you realize what happened? We were looking out for each other. That's big for people like us, maybe even historic.
- Debra: I can't let this happen. There has to be some fucking justice. It's you, Dex.
- Dexter: Me?
- Debra: You know what I'm saying? She deserves it. I want you to make it right. Do what you do.
- Debra: But, go figure, some asshole broke into his apartment and disappeared all the files on Hannah, thank you very much.
- Dexter: [Voiceover: You're welcome.]
- Dexter: How do you think you're gonna live with knowing you're responsible for a murder?
- Debra: Don't tell me what I can and can't handle. Turns out there's a fuck-all lot that I can live with these days.
- Debra: Are you fucking her?
- Dexter: Deb, I can explain.
- Debra: I know what fucking is - no explanation necessary.
- Debra: Are you in love with her?
- Dexter: I don't know.
- Debra: Is it because she's a serial killer? Does that turn you on or something?
- Isaak:That's how love is. It's a powerful weapon. It can work for us or against us, can't it?
- Dexter:I don't understand much about love.
- Isaak:I suppose the heart knows something that we just don't know.
- Dexter:Or maybe the heart is just wrong.
- Isaak:Love can be inconvenient, perhaps inappropriate. It can be dangerous. Make us do things we wouldn't dream of doing. But wrong? That just depends on where we end up, doesn't it?
- Isaak:We're outsiders, you and I. On the periphery. Watching everybody else. Pretending we're just like them, but knowing we're not. Best we can hope for is to find a place where we don't have to pretend. It's a shame, really. Under different circumstances, I think you and I might have been great friends.
- Dexter: [Voiceover: Everyone wants an Argentina - a place where the slate is wiped clean. But the truth is Argentina is just Argentina. No matter where we go, we take ourselves, and our damage, with us. So is home the place we run to, or is it the place we run from? Onlt to hide out in places where we're accepted unconditionally, places that feel more like home to us - because we can finally be who we are.]
Helter Skelter [7.09]Edit
- Isaak: Well, just where are you running off to all...helter skelter?
- Dexter: I'm hungry.
- Isaak: You've been tasked with killing two men, a loved one's life hangs in the balance of it, and...you're hungry?
- Dexter: [Voiceover: Watch any western and you'll know a man out for vengeance should dig two graves. One for his enemy, and one for himself. I won't be needing mine. But I'll see to it that Isaak isn't alone in his.]
- Dexter: [To Hannah] When you asked me on my boat if I've ever been scared like that, I have...twice. When I was three, seeing my mother murdered. And when I realized these past three days that I might never see you again.
- Jurg: Isaak hasn't checked in yet. If anything has happened to him, it would be a shame to have to kill you after such a lovely meal.
- Hannah: Well, let's hope that doesn't have to happen.
The Dark...Whatever [7.10]Edit
- Dexter: [Voiceover: Monsters, aliens, phantoms - none of them are real. The thought that an actual person could do this is too awful. So our imaginations create a way to make it easier to take. But even the strongest of imaginations can't protect us once we know the truth.]
- Hannah: Oh, right. You've known him for what? 24 hours, and you think you understand him?
- Dexter: Well, I have a sense for this sort of thing.
- Hannah: Oh, yeah - you and your dark...whatever, part of you.
- Dexter: That you don't think exists?
- Hannah: Because it doesn't!
- Clint: You got the devil inside you, boy.
- Dexter: No, I think it's just me.
- Dexter: [Voiceover: The dark passenger has been with me ever since I can remember - pulling the strings, running the show. But as it turns out, I'm no puppet.]
Do You See What I See [7.11]Edit
- Dexter: [Voiceover: Christmas is a time of expectation. If you’re good, a red-suited fat man will break into your house and leave you presents. But Santa Claus doesn’t exist. The most wonderful time of the year celebrates a lie.]
Surprise, Motherf**ker ! [7.12]Edit
- Dexter: We both knew it would come to this - one of us dead or behind bars.
- Hannah: Yeah, except I always thought it would be you.
- Dexter: Sorry.
- Hannah: Yeah, me too.
- Dexter: LaGuerta is the one who set me up.
- Debra: So you repay the favour?
- Dexter: Would you prefer my normal method of conflict resolution?
- Debra: Not fucking funny.
- LaGuerta: So what's your advice?
- Tom: Get on your knees and start kissing anything anything that even remotely resembles an ass.
- Hannah: How's the wrist?
- Debra: Stronger every day. How's facing life without the possibility of parole?
- Hannah: [To Debra] Except that you're the lieutenant of homicide and you wear a big shiny badge and yet, you know exactly what your brother is. Don't worry, I'm not gonna tell anyone, they wouldn't believe me even if I did. But knowing that you have to live with it is...punishment enough. Still, I'm curious - how do you justify arresting me and not him? Or is the law just something you make up as you go along? Turning a blind eye whenever you feel like it or Dexter is involved.
- LaGuerta: Debra, we've known each other a long time. Is there something you wanna get of your chest?
- Debra: Yes. I think you've been under a lot of stress.
- LaGuerta: You wanna know what I think? I think I'm not the only one who made a mistake, trying to protect someone they care about.
- Dexter: [To Harry] Somewhere along the line the fake life that we created as a cover for me to kill became real. It's not fake to me...anymore. I don't wanna lose it. I'm gonna stand my ground.
- Dexter: [To Hector] The normal reasons. I've never killed for the normal reasons. I used to think I was special - a special kind of killer, but tonight I'm not.
- [ Debra walks in on Dexter preparing to kill LaGuerta]
- Debra: Oh God...Dexter?
- Dexter: You shouldn't be here.
- Debra: Why...shouldn't I be here? What are you doing?
- Dexter: What needs to be done.
- Debra: Are you gonna kill her?
- Dexter: You need to leave. I need to finish this.
- Debra: Dexter you can't!
- Dexter: I can. And I will.
- Debra: No! Fuck, Jesus, Dexter you can't do this!
- Dexter: It's the only solution. The only way to end this.
- Debra: [getting hysterical] No, no, no I can't let you go through with this!!
- LaGuerta: [waking up] Shoot him Deb. You have to end this. Shoot him.
- [Dexter picks up one of his knives]
- Debra: [aiming her gun at him] Stop!
- LaGuerta: Do it Debra! Shoot him!
- [Deb doesn't move or say anything]
- LaGuerta: Do it!! Shoot him!! This is not who you are. You're a good cop. You're a good person. You're not like him.
- [Deb starts to cry]
- LaGuerta: Put him down!!!
- Debra: ...
- Dexter: It's true. Everything she said. You're a good person. It's okay...
- [Dexter drops the knife and puts his hands up]
- Dexter: Do what you gotta do.
- Debra: [crying] ...Dex...
- [Deb pulls the trigger and shoots LaGuerta, killing her. She instantly breaks down and runs to her body]
- Debra: [Sobbing hysterically] OH MY GOD!! OH MY GOD!!!
- Dexter: [Voiceover: We all make rules for ourselves. It's these rules that help define who we are. So when we break those rules, we risk losing ourselves and becoming something unknown. Who is Deb now? Who am I? Is this a new beginning, or the beginning of the end?]