Arun Jaitley (28 December 1952 - 24 August 2019) was an Indian politician belonging to the Bharatiya Janata Party. He served as the Minister of Law from 2000 to 2002. On 26 May 2014, he was appointed the Finance Minister of India.
|This political figure article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- When the international prices rise, we expect the government to cut its share of profit and its revenue earnings and share the burden of the increase with the common man.
- Responding to fuel price raise by the UPA government, as quoted in "India announces fuel price rise", BBC News (6 September 2005)
- He has embarrassed the government. By continuing as minister without portfolio he has earned himself a price for silence.
- If the prime minister was in the know of it, then he is equally culpable. If he was not aware, then it is for him to introspect as to what kind of government he is running.
- It is a wake-up call for all of us unless we put our house in order. The people of this country are becoming restless.
- The last 60 years have seen collapse of many democracies. For a poor country, it is more difficult to sustain a democracy. From poverty, we have come to being a developing nation. Not only did we survive, we have the distinction of becoming world’s largest democracy.
- On the occasion of the Indian Parliament completing 60 years, as quoted in "Democracy is behind our growing global stature says PM", ABP Live (13 May 2012)
- So the world needs other engines to carry the growth process. And in a slow down environment in the world, an economy which can grow at 8-9% like India certainly has viable shoulders to provide the support to the global economy
- On the 2015 Chinese stock market crash, as quoted in "India - we can take the economic lead as China stumbles", BBC News (27 August 2015)
- I have already made it clear that there is an atmosphere of complete peace in the country. This country has never been intolerant and won’t be so in the future too.
- On the allegations of religious intolerance in India, as quoted in "There’s complete peace in country, no intolerance: Arun Jaitley ", Hindustan Times (3 November 2015)
Quotes about JaitleyEdit
- Last week I went to see Arun Jaitley. He is one of the few politicians whom I respect. I have known him from the time I was a junior reporter and can say honestly that he is one of a handful of politicians who is not in politics for personal gain but for public service. He is in the process of moving out of the house in Lutyens’ Delhi that was allotted to him as a senior minister. While waiting to see him I noticed blank spaces on the walls where pictures have been taken down. His decision to surrender his government house as soon as he demitted office is remarkable in itself. I know millionaires and maharajahs who have to be physically evicted.
- Tavleen Singh, It’s time opposition tried to address what actually happened this general election June 16, 2019