Captain Jack Harkness is a fictional character played by John Barrowman in Doctor Who and its spin-off series, Torchwood. The first openly bisexual character in the history of televised Doctor Who episodes, he made his first appearance in The Empty Child. In The Parting of the Ways he died in battle against Daleks, but was resurrected and given immortality by Rose Tyler while she was a vehicle of the energies of the Time vortex.
- Before we go any further, who the hell orders pizza under the name of "Torchwood"?
- You need to figure out who's side you're on here, because if you don't know, you're not gonna make it out of this alive.
Boom Town [1.11]
- (4 June 2005)
- Mickey [after Jack, Rose Tyler, Mickey and The Doctor have just exited the TARDIS]: That old lady's staring.
- Jack : [Suggestively to Doctor] Probably wondering what four people were doing in a small box.
- Mickey: [Disdainful look at Jack] What are you captain of? The Innuendo Squad? [Jack makes a 'Whatever' sign with his fingers]
The Parting of the Ways [1.13]
- (18 June 2005)
- [Jack is about to leave to rally a resistance to the Daleks]
- Jack: It's been fun...but I guess this is goodbye.
- Rose: Don't talk like that! The Doctor's gonna do it, you just..watch him.
- Jack: Rose...you are worth fighting for. [kisses her passionately, turns to the Doctor] Wish I'd never met you, Doctor. I was much better off as a coward. [kisses him as well] See you in hell.
- [The survivors on the satellite are clamoring, Jack fires off a few rounds from his machine gun to silence them]
- Jack: ONE LAST TIME! Any more volunteers? [silence] There's an army about to invade this station. I need every last citizen to mount a defense!
- Rodrick: Don't listen to him! There aren't any Daleks! They disappeared thousands of years ago!
- [Lynda steps forward to join Jack and his volunteers]
- Jack: Thanks...as for the rest of you, the Daleks will enter the station at floor four-nine-four, and as far as I can tell, they'll head up, not down. But that's not a promise. So here's a few words of advice: keep quiet. And if you hear fighting up above, if you hear us dying, then tell me the Daleks aren't real.
- [Jack is out of ammunition and cornered by three Daleks; he stares them down]
- Dalek: EX-TER-MI-NATE! [guns point at Jack]
- Jack: [defiantly] I kinda figured that.
- [Jack stands with a "bring it on" gesture as the lead Dalek shoots him]
- (16 June 2007)
- Captain Jack: [to Martha] Captain Jack Harkness... and who are you?
- Martha: Martha Jones.
- Captain Jack: Nice to meet you, Martha Jones.
- The Doctor: [Irritated] Oh, don't start!
- Captain Jack: I was only saying "hello"!
- Martha: [flattered] I don't mind.
- Martha: But the thing is, why'd you leave him behind, Doctor?
- The Doctor: [dismissively] I was busy.
- Martha: Is that what happens though, seriously? You just get bored of us one day and disappear?
- Captain Jack: Not if you're blonde.
- Martha: [sarcastically] Oh, she was blonde! Oh, what a surprise!
- The Doctor: [spinning around, irritated] You two, we're at the end of the universe. Okay?! Right at the edge of knowledge itself! And you're busy... [struggling to find the right word] blogging!
- The Doctor: [regarding Jack's immortality] When did you realize?
- Captain Jack: Earth, 1892. Got in a fight on Ellis Island; a man shot me through the heart...then I woke up. Thought it was kinda strange. But then it never stopped. Fell off a cliff, trampled by horses, World War I, World War II, poison, starvation...a stray javelin [the Doctor winces]. In the end, I got the message. I'm the man who can never die...[angrily] and all that time you knew.
- The Doctor: That's why I left you behind. It's not easy, even just looking at you, Jack because...because you're wrong.
- Captain Jack: [sarcastic] Thanks!
- The Doctor: You are, I can't help it! I'm a Time Lord, it's instinct, it's in my gut. You're a fixed point in time and space, you're a fact. That's never meant to happen. Even the Tardis reacted against you, tried to shake you off; flew all the way to the end of the universe just to get rid of you.
- Captain Jack: Last thing I remember, back when I was mortal; I was facing three Daleks, death by extermination...then I came back to life. What happened?
- The Doctor: Rose.
- Captain Jack: [shocked] I thought you sent her back home.
- The Doctor: She came back. Opened the heart of the Tardis and absorbed the Time Vortex itself.
- Captain Jack: And what does that mean exactly?!
- The Doctor: No one's ever meant to have that power. If a Time Lord did that, they'd become a god- a vengeful god. But she was human. [Flashback of Rose resurrecting Jack] Everything she did was so human. She brought you back to life. But she couldn't control it; she brought you back forever. That's something, I suppose; the final act of the Time War was life.
- Captain Jack: Do you think she could change me back?
- The Doctor: I took the power out of her. She's gone, Jack. She's not just living on a paralell world, she's trapped there. The walls have closed.
Journey's End [4.13]
- (5 July 2008)
- Jack: [annoyed] Just my luck! I climb through two miles of ventilation shafts, chasing life signs on this thing, and who did I find!? Mickey Mouse!
- Mickey Smith: [coldly] You can talk, Captain Cheesecake!
- [At the moment, the pair laugh and embrace like old friends]
- Jack: Good to see you! And that's "Beefcake"!
- Mickey: And that's enough hugging!
Small Worlds [1.5]
- (12 November 2006)
- Jack: She calls them fairies; I don't.
- Gwen: What do you call them?
- Jack: Never really had a proper name.
- Gwen: Why not?
- Jack: Something from the dawn of time, how could you possibly put a name to that?
- Gwen: Are we talking alien?
- Jack: Worse.
- Gwen: How come?
- Jack: Because they're part of us. Part of our world, yet we know nothing about them. So we pretend to know what they look like. We see them as happy, we imagine they have tiny little wings and are bathed in moonlight.
- Gwen: But they're not?
- Jack: No. Think dangerous. Think something you can only half-see, like a glimpse, like something out of the corner of your eye. With a touch of myth, a touch of the spirit world, a touch of reality all jumbled together, old moments and memories that are frozen in amongst it. Like debris, spinning around a ring planet, tossing, turning, whirling... backwards and forwards through time.
- Ianto: I blame it on magic mushrooms.
- Jack: What you do in private is none of our business.
Quotes about Jack Harkness
- I've kind of made Jack a hero that I would like to have looked up to as a little boy because as a little boy, I knew I was gay but I didn't know what it was. Didn't know who to talk to about it. … I wanted kids to like him, and I wanted women, men, I wanted everyone to like him. But first I wanted people to hate him. I wanted them to think he was arrogant and pushy and too sure of himself. And I wanted them to follow the arc of the change he went through in the final episodes of Doctor Who.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language