This page is a collection of quotations from the era of the fifth official incarnation of The Doctor from the BBC science fiction television programme Doctor Who, during which the role of the Fifth Doctor was played by Peter Davison. As Doctor Who stories in other media (such as books, audio plays, etc) are the subject of intense debate as regarding their place in the series' overall canon, these quotations are largely taken from episodes broadcast on television.
- The Fifth Doctor’s catchphrase:
- Brave heart, Tegan.
- Sorry, must dash!
- (4 January - 12 January 1982)
- The Doctor [looking in the mirror at his newly-regenerated form]: That's the trouble with regeneration. You quite never know what you're going to get.
- The Doctor: Which is the quickest way out of here?
- [Each of the women at the fountain point in different directions.]
- The Doctor: Yes. Well, That's democracy for you. Come on.
- The Doctor: Tell me, Portreve, off the record, will I find the Doctor here?
- The Portreve: Oh, yes, Doctor, very soon.
- The Doctor: Good.
- The Doctor (to Adric) Don't you understand? The regeneration is failing!
Four to Doomsday [19.2]Edit
- (18 January - 26 January 1982)
- The Doctor: (to Monarch) "You know, I come here from time to time myself and nothing on earth changes quite so often as the fashion! You wouldn' t belief the way some people look!"
- Lin Futu: I am Lin Futu.
- The Doctor: Well I'd never have guessed it, you look in the best of health to me!
- The Doctor: (to Adric) Now listen to me, you young idiot; you're not so much gullible as you are idealistic.
- (1 February - 9 February 1982)
- The Doctor: An apple a day keeps the... Ah, never mind.
- The Doctor: There's always something to look at if you open your eyes!
- Tegan: Hello?
- Old Woman: You, my dear, can't possibly exist, so go away.
The Visitation [19.4]Edit
- (15 February - 23 February 1982)
- Terileptil Leader: Such pride in something so stupid!
- Richard Mace: I assure you sir, there is nothing primitive about me.
- Tegan: If anything he's saved us a long walk!
- The Doctor: I like long walks!
Black Orchid [19.5]Edit
- (1 March - 2 March 1982)
- Adric: So what is a railway station?
- The Doctor: Well, a place where one embarks and disembarks from compartments on wheels drawn along these tracks by a steam engine; rarely on time.
- Nyssa: What a very silly activity.
- The Doctor: D'You think so? As a boy, I always wanted to drive one.
- [after a cricket match]
- Sir Robert: Superb innings! Worthy of the Master.
- The Doctor: [alarmed] The Master?
- Sir Robert: Well, the other Doctor! [The Doctor still looks alarmed] W.G. Grace!
- The Doctor: [relieved] Yes, of course!
- [Speaking on why he wouldn't have attacked Anne and killed the butler]
- The Doctor: And besides —
- Sir Robert: Besides what?
- The Doctor: Well, it wouldn't be cricket.
- (8 March - 16 March 1982)
- The Doctor: When did you last have the pleasure of smelling a flower, watching a sunset, eating a well-prepared meal?
- Cyberleader: These things are irrelevant.
- The Doctor: For some people, small, beautiful events are what life is all about!
- Tegan: I'm just a mouth on legs.
- (22 March - 30 March 1982)
- The Doctor [about the Concorde ]: It's amazing.
- Nyssa: What?
- The Doctor: This thing is smaller on the inside than it is on the outside.
- The Doctor: It's times like this I wish I still had my scarf.
- The Doctor: The illusion is always one of normality.
Arc of Infinity [20.1]Edit
- (3 January - 12 January 1983)
- The Doctor: You know how it is; you put things off for a day and next thing you know, it's a hundred years later.
- The Doctor: It's too late! Omega controls the Matrix!
Mawdryn Undead [20.3]Edit
- (1 February - 9 February 1983)
- The Doctor: Well, there's a probability of anything. Statistically speaking, if you gave typewriters to a treeful of monkeys, they'd eventually produce the works of William Shakespeare.
- Nyssa: [trying to draw the Doctor's attention away from his conversation with Tegan to the approaching craft on the viewscreen] Doctor...
- The Doctor: Of course, you and I both know that at the end of a millennium they'd still be tapping out gibberish.
- Tegan: And you'd be tapping it out right alongside them. I only asked you a simple question.
- [Upon seeing Mawdryn's disfigured colleagues]
- Tegan: Who are they?
- The Doctor: Fools, who tried to become Time Lords.
- (15 February - 23 February 1983)
- The Doctor: The outside universe is breaking through!
- The Black Guardian: (to Turlough): This is your last chance, boy... KILL THE DOCTOR!
- (1 March - 9 March 1983)
- Tegan: But what if the White Guardian tells me something important?
- The Doctor: ...Thank him politely. [The Doctor smiles] Won't be long.
- Striker: You are not an Ephemeral. You are a... a time dweller. You travel in time.
- The Doctor: You're reading my thoughts.
- Striker: You are a Time Lord, a lord of time. Are there lords in such a small domain?
- The Doctor: And where do you function?
- Striker: Eternity. The endless wastes of eternity.
The King's Demons [20.6]Edit
- (15 March - 16 March 1983)
- The Doctor: You may disguise your features but you can never disguise your intent.
The Five Doctors [20.7]Edit
- (23 November 1983)
- Third Doctor: I've reversed the polarity of the neutron flow so the TARDIS should be free of the force field now.
- The Fifth Doctor: [After bidding his past incarnations farewell.] Well, I'm still not the man I used to be... [in relief] Thank Goodness.
Warriors of the Deep [21.1]Edit
- (5 January - 13 January 1984)
- Tegan: What year are we in?
- The Doctor: Around two thousand and eighty-four.
- Tegan: [Looking around] Little seems to have changed since my time.
- The Doctor: Absolutely nothing, Tegan. There are still two power blocs, fingers poised to annihilate each other.
- The Doctor: I sometimes wonder why I like the people of this miserable planet so much.
- The Doctor: Tegan, make a wish! [Tegan shuts her eyes]
- Nilson: [pointing a gun at the Doctor]: Goodbye Doctor!
- The Doctor: Goodbye! [and shoots him with the ultra-violet light generator]
- [On the violence that resulted in the deaths of Humans, Silurians, and Sea Devils.]
- Turlough: They're all dead you know.
- The Doctor: [looking around at the carnage] There should have been another way.
The Awakening [21.2]Edit
- (19 - 20 January 1984)
- (26 January - 3 February 1984)
- Turlough: [Cheerfully reading about Frontios from the TARDIS log] Fleeing from the imminence of a catastrophic collision with the Sun, refugees from the doomed planet Earth...
- The Doctor: And if anyone happens to ask whether I made any material difference to the welfare of this planet, you can tell them I came and went like a summer cloud.
- The Doctor: Oh, marvellous. You're going to kill me. What a finely tuned response to the situation.
- The Doctor: A risk shared is a risk doubled.
- The Doctor: [Trying to pass Tegan off as an android] I got this one cheap because the walk's not quite right. And then there's the accent...
- (8 February - 15 February 1984)
- Davros: If I were you, I'd be dead.
- The Doctor: I lack your practice, Davros.
- Davros: You are soft, like all Time Lords. You prefer to stand and watch. Action requires courage; something you lack.
- Tegan: A lot of good people have died today. I'm sick of it.
- The Doctor: You think I wanted it this way?
- Tegan: No. It's just I don't think I can go on.
- The Doctor: You want to stay on Earth?
- Tegan: My aunt Vanessa said, when I became an air stewardess, if you stop enjoying it, give it up.
- The Doctor: Tegan...
- Tegan: It's stopped being fun, Doctor.
- Davros: Once the Doctor has been exterminated, I should build a new race of Daleks.They will be even more deadly! And I Davros, shall be their leader! This time we shall triumph! The Daleks shall once more become the supreme beings!!!
- Davros: The Daleks are dead. Long live the new Daleks! Oh! What's happening? No! No! It cannot be! I AM NOT A DALEK! I CANNOT DIE! I.. AM.. DAVROS!!!
Planet of Fire [21.5]Edit
- (23 February - 2 March 1984)
- [The Master's last words before his apparent incineration]
- The Master: Doctor, help me! I'll give you anything in creation! [The Doctor doesn't move] Would you show no mercy to your own —
- Turlough: [His departing words] I don't want to go, Doctor. I've learnt a lot from you.
The Caves of Androzani [21.6]Edit
- (8 March - 16 March 1984)
- The Doctor: Androzani Major was becoming quite developed last time I passed this way.
- Peri: When was that?
- The Doctor: ...I don't remember. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the future.
- Peri: Doctor, why do you wear a stick of celery in your lapel?
- The Doctor: Does it offend you?
- Peri: No, just curious.
- The Doctor: Safety precaution. I'm allergic to certain gases in the praxis range of the spectrum.
- Peri: Well, how does the celery help?
- The Doctor: If the gas is present, the celery turns purple.
- Peri: And then what do you do?
- The Doctor: I eat the celery. If nothing else, I'm sure it's good for my teeth.
- Stotz: You better turn this ship around Doctor!
- The Doctor: Why?
- Stotz: Because I'll kill you if you don't!
- The Doctor: Not a very convincing argument actually, Stotz, because I'm going to die soon anyway, unless of course —
- Stotz: I'll give you to the count of three!
- The Doctor: Unless of course I can find the antidote… I owe it to my young friend to try because I got her into this —
- Stotz: One,
- The Doctor: So you see —
- Stotz: Two,
- The Doctor: I'm not going to let you stop me now!
- Stotz: Three!
- Morgus: Jek, where's the Spectrox?
- Sharaz Jek: Morgus!
- Morgus: Take one more step and we shoot!
- Sharaz Jek: Do you think bullets could stop me now? You stinking offal, Morgus, look at me! [tears off his mask, revealing his hideously scalded face] Look at me!
- The Doctor: Is this death?
- Peri: There must be something I can do, tell me!
- The Doctor: Too late Peri... going soon. It's time to say goodbye.
- Peri: Don't give up! You can't leave me now!
- Doctor: I might regenerate... I don't know...
- Peri (off-screen): Please!
- Doctor: Feels different this time...
- The Doctor imagines his companions and enemies confronting him as he dies:
- Tegan: What was it you always told me, Doctor? Brave heart?
- Turlough: You must survive, Doctor. Too many of your enemies would delight in your death.
- Kamelion: Turlough speaks the truth, Doctor.
- Nyssa: You're needed. You mustn't die, Doctor.
- Adric: You know that, Doctor.
- Doctor: Adric?
- The Master: No, my dear Doctor, you must die! Die, Doctor! Die, Doctor!
- The Fifth Doctor's last thought:
- The Doctor: Adric?
NOTE: The following quotation occurred in an episode after the Fifth Doctor's era had officially ended (in the era of the Tenth Doctor to be exact) and thus is not technically part of this Doctor's era. As the quote involves the Fifth Doctor, however, it is included here for the sake of completion.
- (16 November 2007)
- Fifth Doctor: That could blow a hole in the space-time continuum, the size of — [The Tenth Doctor turns the TARDIS console screen towards him] ... actually, the exact size of Belgium. That's a bit undramatic, isn't it? "Belgium"?
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language