Yoda is a character from the Star Wars franchise. He was created by George Lucas and is usually portrayed by Frank Oz. He is an extraterrestrial green man who is among one of the leaders of the Jedi Council. He later exiled himself to Dagobah knowing that the Galactic Republic became a Galactic Empire. He first appeared in The Empire Strikes Back (1980), where he teaches Luke Skywalker the ways of the light side of the Force.
- "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you."
- "Into exile I must go. Failed I have."
- "Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship."
- "[strains to speak as voice gradually grows softer] Remember, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware: Anger, fear, aggression - the dark side, are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. [Whispering now] Luke... Luke... do not... [struggles to speak] Do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor... or suffer your father's fate, you will. Luke... [Luke leans in close] ...when gone, am I, the last of the Jedi, will you be. Luke... the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned. Luke... [with great effort] ...There... is... another... Sk... Sky... walker... [Yoda dies, then disappears into thin air]"
- Return of the Jedi (final words)
- "Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." Luke... We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters.
Encyclopedic article on Yoda on Wikipedia