The Walking Dead (TV series)
The Walking Dead (2010-) is an American post-apocalyptic horror television series developed for television by Frank Darabont and based on the ongoing comic book series, The Walking Dead, by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard.
Days Gone Bye [1.01]Edit
- Rick Grimes: What's the difference between men and women?
- Shane Walsh: Is this a joke?
- Rick Grimes: No, serious.
- Shane Walsh: Never met a woman who knew how to turn off a light. Born thinking the switch only goes one way: on. Come home, house all lit up, and my job, you see, apparently because my chromosomes happen to be different is that I gotta walk through that house and turn off every single light this chick left on.
- Rick Grimes: Is that right?
- Shane Walsh: Yeah, baby. Oh Reverend Shane is a-preachin' to ya now, boy. Then this same chick, mind ya, she'll bitch about, uh, Global Warming. This is where Reverend Shane wants to quote from the Guy Gospel and say, "Uh, darlin' maybe if you and every other pair of boobs on this planet could just figure out that the light switch, see, goes both ways, maybe we wouldn't have so much Global Warming?"
- Rick Grimes: You say that?
- Shane Walsh: The polite version. Still, that earns me this look of loathing you would not believe and that's when the Exorcist voice pops out "You sound just like my damn Father! Always yellin' about the power bill and tellin' me to turn off the damn lights!"
- Rick Grimes: What do you say to that?
- Shane Walsh: I know what I want to say. What I want to say, "Bitch, you mean to tell me you've been hearing this your entire life and you are still too damn stupid to learn how to turn off a switch?"
- Morgan Jones: Bites kill you. The fever burns you out. But then after a while...you come back.
- Glenn Rhee: [over the radio to Rick] Hey, you. Dumbass. Hey, you in the tank. Cozy in there?
- Glenn Rhee: [to Rick] Nice moves there, Clint Eastwood. You the new sheriff come riding in to clean up the town?
- Merle Dixon: Hey! Y'all be more polite to a man with a gun! Huh? Ah! Only common sense.
- Merle Dixon: Who the hell are you, man?!
- Rick Grimes: Officer Friendly. Look here, Merle. Things are different now. There are no niggers anymore. No dumb-as-shit, inbred white-trash fools either. Only dark meat and white meat. There's us and the dead. We survive this by pulling together, not apart.
- Merle Dixon: Screw you, man.
- Rick Grimes: I can see you make a habit of missing the point.
- Merle Dixon: Yeah? Well, screw you twice.
- Rick Grimes: Ought to be polite to a man with a gun. [cocks gun] Only common sense.
- Merle Dixon: You wouldn't. You're a cop.
- Rick Grimes: All I am anymore is a man looking for his wife and son. Anybody that gets in the way of that is gonna lose. I'll give you a moment to think about that.
Tell It to the Frogs[1.03]Edit
- Merle Dixon: [delirious] That's right. You heard me, bitch. You got a problem? Bring it on if you're man enough, or take it up the chain if you're a pussy. You heard me, you pussy-ass noncom bitch. You ain't deaf. Take it up the damn chain of command or you can kiss my lily-white ass. [laughs] That's right. That's what I said. You heard me. And then this idiot, he takes a swing, you know, and well... [laughs] Oh, you should've seen the look on his face when I punched out his front teeth. Yeah, five of 'em. Pow! Pow! Just like that. Huh. Oh my God. Oh, 16 months... in the stockade, that's what them teeth cost me. That was, that was hard time, but by God, it was worth every minute of it just to see that prick spit his teeth out on the ground. Yes sir, worth every minute. Mmm.
- Merle Dixon: [praying] I didn't behave, I know. I know I'm being punished. I know. I- Oh, I deserve it. I deserve it. I've been bad. Help me now. Show me the way. Go on, tell me what to do. Tell me. Tell me. God!That's okay. Never you mind, silly Christ boy. I ain't begged you before. I ain't gonna start begging now. I ain't gonna beg you now! Don't you worry about me begging you ever! I'll never beg you! I ain't gonna beg you! I never begged you before.
- Dale Horvath: Words can be meager things. Sometimes they fall short.
- Daryl Dixon: Nobody can kill Merle but Merle.
- Shane Walsh: Jim, nobody is gonna hurt you, okay?
- Jim: That's a lie. That's the biggest lie there is. I told that to my wife and my two boys. I said it 100 times. It didn't matter. They came out of nowhere. There were dozens of 'em. Just pulled 'em right out of my hands. You know, the only reason I got away was 'cause the dead were too busy eating my family.
- Daryl Dixon: Hey kid, what'd you do before all this?
- Glenn Rhee: Deliver pizzas. Why?
- Daryl Dixon: You got some balls for a China man.
- Glenn Rhee: I'm Korean.
- Daryl Dixon: Whatever.
- Jim: I remember my dream now, why I dug the holes.
- [Dr. Jenner is speaking to a recording camera.]
- Edwin Jenner: Jenner here. It's Day 194 since Wildfire was declared and 63 days since the disease abruptly went global. There's no clinical progress to report. Item: I finally got the scrubbers in the east sector shut down to save power. Wish I could have done it a month ago, but it took me how long to figure it out. Too bad I never studied engineering. Could have saved a lot of amps. Item: Still not sleeping well. Can't seem to keep regular hours. Living underground doesn't help; not knowing if it's day or night. Just...feeling very...off.
- [Dr. Jenner is speaking to a recording camera after the decontamination process destroyed his samples.]
- Edwin Jenner: The TS-19 samples are gone. The tragedy of their loss cannot be overstated. They were our freshest samples, by far. None of the other samples we gathered came close. Those are necrotic. Useless, dead flesh. [Pause] I don't even know why I'm talking to you. I bet there isn't a single son of a bitch still listening out there, is there? [Gets closer to the camera] Is there? Fine. Saves me the embarrassment. I think tomorrow I'm gonna blow my brains out. I haven't decided. But tonight, I'm getting drunk. [Pours a glass of wine, finishing the bottle. Shows the camera the bottle.] Speaking of which, how far do you think I can chuck this, huh? Pretty far, I bet. [Throws bottle across room, shattering it.] Oh! It is out of the stadium!
- Rick Grimes: [to Jenner] You don't know what it's like out there. You may think you do but you don't. It's only a matter of time. There's too many of those things. My boy, my wife, I never told them what I really thought. I never even hinted, just, just kept it in, kept us moving, kept it in, kept us moving.
- Dale Horvath: I see a chance to make a new start.
- Daryl Dixon: Man, I'm gonna get shit-faced drunk. again.
- Edwin Jenner: This is what takes us down. This is our extinction event.
What Lies Ahead [2.01]Edit
- Andrea: [to Dale] All I wanted after my sister died was to get out of this endless horrific nightmare we live every day. I wasn't hurting anyone else. You took my choice away, Dale. And you expect gratitude? I don't know what to say. I'm not your little girl. I'm not your wife. And I am sure as hell not your problem.
- Carol Peletier: [praying] Father, forgive me. I don't deserve your mercy. I prayed for safe passage from Atlanta and you provided. I prayed for Ed to be punished for laying his hands on me and for looking at his own daughter with whatever sickness was growing in his soul. I prayed you'd put a stop to it, give me a chance to raise her right, help her not make my mistakes. She's so fearful. She's so young in her way. She hasn't had a chance. Praying for Ed's death was a sin. Please, don't let this be my punishment. Let her be safe, alive and safe. Please, lord. Punish me however you want, but show mercy on her.
- Dale Horvath: Listen, your veins are very discolored. You got a hell of an infection there. You could die from blood poisoning.
- T-Dog: [laughs] Oh, man. Wouldn't that be the way? World gone to hell, the dead risen up to eat the living and Theodore Douglas is done here by a cut on his arm. [laughs harder]
- Otis: I ain't gonna sit here while this fella takes this on alone.
- T-Dog: What are you, 70?
- Dale Horvath: 64.
- T-Dog: Uh-huh. And I'm the one black guy. Realize how precarious that makes my situation?
Save the Last One [2.03]Edit
- Lori Grimes: Maybe this isn't a world for children anymore.
- [Daryl finds a walker hanging by a rope and reads off a note on the tree]
- Daryl Dixon: "Got bit. Fever hit. World gone to shit. Might as well quit". Dumbass didn't know enough to shoot himself in the head. Turns himself in a swinging piece of bait. And a mess.
- Daryl Dixon: Look at him. Hanging up there like a big piñata. The other geeks came and ate all the flesh off his legs.
- Andrea: I thought we were changing the subject.
- Daryl Dixon: Call that payback for laughing about my itchy ass.
Cherokee Rose [2.04]Edit
- Rick Grimes: Last time I asked God for a favor and stopped to admire a view, my son got shot. I try not to mix it up with the almighty anymore.
- Hershel Greene: [to Rick] My father didn't bother with comforting lies. He used his fist. He was a loveless, violent drunk and no good to anybody. He drove me from home when I was 15. Didn't lay eyes on this place again for many years. I was not at his deathbed, Rick. I would not grant him that and to this day do not regret it. Some men do not earn the love of their sons. I don't see you having that problem.
- Daryl Dixon: [to Carol] It's a Cherokee Rose. The story is that when American soldiers were moving Indians off their land on the Trail of Tears, the Cherokee mothers were grieving and crying so much 'cause they were losing their little ones along the way from exposure and disease and starvation. A lot of them just disappeared. So the elders, they said a prayer; asked for a sign to uplift the mothers' spirits, give them strength and hope. The next day this rose started to grow where the mothers' tears fell. I'm not fool enough to think there's any flowers blooming for my brother. But I believe this one bloomed for your little girl.
- Maggie Greene: [to Glenn] I`ll have sex with you.
- Jimmy: I want a gun.
- Daryl Dixon: And people in hell want Slurpees.
- Merle Dixon Hallucination: [to Daryl] You're a joke is what you are, playing errand boy to a bunch of pansy-asses, niggers and democrats. You're nothing but a freak to them. Redneck trash. That's all you are. They're laughing at you behind your back. You know that, don't you? I got a little news for you, son. One day they gonna scrape you off their heels like you was dogshit. Hey. They ain't your kin, your blood. Hell, you had any damn nuts in that sack of yours, you'd got back there and shoot your pal Rick in the face for me. Now you listen to me. Ain't nobody ever gonna care about you except me, little brother. Nobody ever will. Come on. Get up on your feet, before I'm gonna have to kick your teeth in. Let's go.
- Glenn Rhee: Dale, you think Andrea's on her period? I'm only asking 'cause it's like all the women are acting really weird. And I read somewhere that when women spend a lot of time together, their cycles line up and they all get super crazy hormonal at the same time.
- Dale Horvath: I'm gonna advise you to keep that theory to yourself.
- Daryl Dixon: [to Andrea] Shoot me again? You best pray I'm dead.
- Dale Horvath: [referring to Otis] You've been vague about that night about what happened.
- Shane Walsh: Otis died a hero.
- Dale Horvath: So you've said.
- Shane Walsh: A little boy lived because of what went down that night. I think you oughta show some gratitude.
- Dale Horvath: I wasn't there.
- Shane Walsh: No man, you weren't.
- Dale Horvath: But I was the time you raised your gun on Rick. You had him in your sights... and you held him there. I know what kind of man you are.
- Shane Walsh: You think I'd shoot Rick? That is my best friend. That's the man that I love, I love him like he's my brother. You think that's the kind of man I am?
- Dale Horvath: That's right.
- Shane Walsh: [menacingly] Well maybe we oughta just think that through. See, if I'm the kind of man that would gun down his own best friend, what'd you think I do to some guy I don't even like when he starts throwing accusations my way. What'd you think?
Pretty Much Dead Already [2.07]Edit
- Shane Walsh: Hell, when you really look at it in the cold light of day, you're pretty much dead already.
- Shane Walsh: These things ain't sick! They're not people! THEY'RE DEAD!! All they do, THEY KILL!! These things right here! they're the things that killed Amy! They killed Otis!! They're gonna kill all of us.
- Rick Grimes: Shane, STOP!!
- Shane Walsh: Hey, Hershel. Man, let me ask you something. could a living, breathing person, could they walk away from this?
- [Shoots a walker 3 times]
- Rick Grimes: STOP IT!!
- Shane Walsh: That's 3 rounds in the chest. Someone who's a alive, could they just take that?!! Why is it still coming?!!
- [Shoots a walker twice]
- Shane Walsh: That's its heart, its lungs!! Why is it still coming?!!
- [Shoots a walker 3 times]
- Rick Grimes: Shane, enough!!
- Shane Walsh: Yeah, you're right, man. That is enough.
- [Walks toward the walker and shoots it in the head]
- Shane Walsh: Enough risking our lives for a little girl who's GONE!!! Enough living next to a barn full of things that are trying to kill us!! Enough! Rick, it ain't like it was before!! Now, if y'all wanna live, if y'all wanna survive, you gotta fight for it!! I'm talking about fighting, right here!! Right now!!
- Hershel Greene: [to Rick] You people are like a plague! I do the Christian thing, give you shelter, and you destroy it all!
- Dave: [to Rick] You don't know what we've had to go through out there, the things we've had to do. I bet you've had to do some of those same things yourself. Am I right? 'Cause ain't nobody's hands clean in what's left of this world.
- Hershel Greene: You want me to cover Glenn?
- Rick Grimes': You missed all that gun training. It could've come in handy now.
- Hershel Greene: Nah, I can shoot. Just don't like to.
- Maggie Greene: What's going on with you?
- Glenn Rhee: Your dad saved my life today. And Rick saved us both. And I - I froze.
- Maggie Greene: Well, you were being shot at.
- Glenn Rhee: No, that...
- Maggie Greene: You don't have anything to prove.
- Glenn Rhee: All I've done - and then this. Okay? It's because of what you said.
- Maggie Greene: That I love you?
- Glenn Rhee: Yeah. A bullet hit the wall behind me and I - I thought of you - losing me, hurting. And I couldn't take it, so I hid to stay alive.
- Maggie Greene: [Reaching out to embrace him] Glenn...
- Glenn Rhee: [Backs away from her] No, no, no. No, you don't get it. Rick, your dad - they were counting on me and I - I only thought of myself.
18 Miles Out [2.10]Edit
- Shane Walsh: He knows where the farm is, Rick. Where we are-- he knows. Say he finds his way back to his people... (pulls out his glock)
- Rick Grimes: Shane, no! [pushes him] Not now. Just not now!
- Shane Walsh: Well, when, Rick? When?
- Rick Grimes: When I've had a chance to think about it.
- Randall: Don't let him kill me. Please don't.
- Rick: Shut up! We're going back. It's a man's life. I need a night to think it through.
- Shane Walsh: You're gonna bring this piece of garbage... this piece of garbage who - he shot at you, Rick. He ran with men who tried to kill you. You gonna bring him back to where Lori sleeps? To where Carl sleeps?
- Rick Grimes: He'll be locked up in the barn, unless you bust it open.
- Shane Walsh: Oh, don't start that shit.
- Rick Grimes: I'm taking the night.
- Shane Walsh: Man, you take that... you think on it, Rick. Keep struggling with it. It ain't hard, man. The right choice is the one that keeps us alive. It's always the same with you. It's like the first moment - it's whenever you're put to the test.
- Rick Grimes: Stop acting like you know the way ahead, like you know the rules. There are no rules, man. We're lost.
- Shane Walsh: No-no-no, man. I know exactly where I am.
- Rick Grimes: You don't know shit anymore.
- Shane Walsh: I don't think you can do it, Rick.
- Rick Grimes: It's my call, man.
- Shane Walsh: I don't think you can keep them safe.
- Shane Walsh: Rick, you can't just be the good guy and expect to live. Okay? Not anymore.
- Rick Grimes: I'm not the good guy anymore.
- Rick Grimes: You want to kill me, you're going to have to do better than that wrench.
- Andrea: The pain doesn't go away. You just make room for it.
Judge, Jury, Executioner [2.11]Edit
- Dale Horvath: The world that we knew is dead. And this new world is ugly.It's Harsh.It's-- it's survival of the fittest. And that's a world I don't wanna live in, and I don't-- And I don't believe that any of you do. I can't. Please. Let's just do what's right. Isn't there anybody else who's gonna stand with me?
- Carol Peletier: You know, we'll see Sophia again in heaven some day. She's in a better place.
- Carl Grimes: No, she's not. Heaven is just another lie, and if you believe it, you're an idiot.
- Carol Peletier: Everyone either avoids me or they treat me like I'm crazy. I lost my daughter. I didn't lose my mind!
- Daryl Dixon: [to a dying Dale] Sorry, brother.
Better Angels [2.12]Edit
- Rick Grimes: Dale could... could get under your skin. He sure got under mine, because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought, how he felt. That kind of honesty is rare and brave. Whenever I'd make a decision, I'd look at Dale. He'd be looking back at me with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another. I couldn't always read him, but he could read us. He saw people for who they were. He knew things about us-- The truth Who we really are. In the end, he was talking about losing our humanity. He said this group was broken. The best way to honor him is to unbreak it. Set aside our differences and pull together, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and take control of our lives Our safety our future. We're not broken. We're gonna prove him wrong. From now on We're gonna do it his way. That is how we honor Dale.
- Rick Grimes: What happened to Dale had nothing to do with you.
- Carl Grimes: He died, Dad.
- Rick Grimes: Yeah, feels like there's a lot of that going around. That's why I need you.
- Shane Walsh: We tried to kill each other, man. What did you think, we gonna forget about it all, we're gonna ride off into the sunset together?
- Rick Grimes: You're gonna kill me in cold blood? Screw my wife? Have my children - my children - call you daddy? Is that what you want? That life won't be worth a damn. I know you. You won't be able to live with this.
- Shane Walsh: What you know about what I can live with? You got no idea what I can live with, what I live with!
- Rick Grimes': [last words spoken to Shane as he stabs him in the chest] You did this to us! This was you, not me! NOT ME!
Beside the Dying Fire [2.13]Edit
- Hershel Greene: I can't profess to understand God's plan. Christ promised a resurrection of the dead. I just assumed he had something a little different in mind.
- Rick Grimes: We're all infected.
- Daryl Dixon: What?
- Rick Grimes': At the C.D.C., Jenner told me. Whatever it is, we all carry it.
- Carol Peletier: And you never said anything?
- Rick Grimes': Would it have made a difference?
- Glenn Rhee: You knew this whole time?
- Rick Grimes': How could I have known for sure? You saw how crazy that mo-
- Glenn Rhee: That is not your call. Okay, when I found about the Walkers in the barn, I told, for the good of everyone.
- Rick Grimes: Well, I thought it best that people didn't know.
- Rick Grimes': [to Lori] I killed him. I killed Shane. He came at me. He killed Randall to get me in the woods. He planned it. I had - I had no choice. I gave him every chance... and he kept leading me further out. He pushed me, and I let him. After awhile, I knew - I knew what he was doing, what he was up to. And I kept going. I didn't stop. I could have, but... I just wanted it over. Dogging me every step of the way. Acting like I stole you and Carl, like... like I was in the way. I just wanted it over. I wanted him dead. I killed him. He turned. That's how I knew Jenner was right. Carl put him down.
- Maggie Greene: I'm not sitting here, waiting for another herd to blow through. We need to move, now.
- Rick Grimes': No one is going anywhere.
- Carol Peletier: Do something.
- Rick Grimes: I am doing something! I'm keeping this group together. Alive! I've been doing that all along, no matter what; I didn't ask for this! I killed my best friend for you people, for Christ sake! You saw how he was like. How he pushed me, how he compromised us, how he threatened us. He staged the whole Randall thing, led me out to put a bullet in my back. He gave me no choice! He was my friend, but he came after me. My hands are clean. Maybe you people are better off without me. Go ahead. I say there's a place for us, but maybe... maybe it's just another pipe dream. Maybe... Maybe I'm fooling myself again. Why don't... why don't you go out and find out yourself. Send me a postcard! Go on, there's the door. You can do better. Let's see how far you get. No takers? Fine. But get one thing straight. You're staying, this isn't a democracy anymore.
- Lori Grimes: The baby is about to be here and we need to talk-
- Rick Grimes: About what?
- Lori Grimes: Things. We've been avoiding them-
- Rick Grimes: You want to talk? Talk to Hershel. I'm doing stuff, Lori. Things.
- Tomas: It was coming at me, bro.
- Rick Grimes: Yeah, yeah, I get it. I get it. Shit happens.
- [Rick kills Tomas]
- Axel: I like my pharmaceuticals, but I'm no killer.
- Oscar: I ain't never pleaded for my life. And I ain't about to start now.
Walk with Me [3.03]Edit
- Merle Dixon: Now, how's about a big hug for your old pal Merle?
- Merle Dixon: I plucked you and your mute here out of the dirt, blondie. Saved your asses. How about a thank you?
- Michonne: You had a gun on us.
- Merle Dixon: Ooh, she speaks. Who ain't had a gun on 'em in the past year, huh? Show of hands, y'all. Anybody? Hmm? Shumpert, Crowley. Y'all had a gun on y'all? Hell I think I'd piss my pants if some stranger come walking up with his mitts in his pockets. That'd be the son of a bitch you'd really want to be scared of.
- The Governor: Welcome to Woodbury!
- Andrea: So what's your real name? If it's not asking too much.
- The Governor: I never tell.
- Andrea: Never say never.
- The Governor: [beat] Never.
Killer Within [3.04]Edit
- Lori Grimes: [to Carl] You are going to beat this world, I know you will. You are smart, and you are strong, and you are so brave, and I love you. You gotta do what's right. It's so easy to do the wrong thing in this world. So, so, if it feels wrong don't do it, alright? If it feels easy don't do it, don't let this world spoil you. You're so good, my sweet boy. Best thing I ever did and I love you, I love you. My sweet, sweet, boy I love you.
Say the Word [3.05]Edit
- Merle Dixon: Look at this. She sent us a biter-gram, y'all.
- Daryl Dixon: You know, my mom, she liked her wine. She liked to smoke in bed. Virginia Slims. I was playing out with the kids in the neighborhood. I could do that with Merle gone. They had bikes, I didn't. We heard sirens getting louder. They jumped on their bikes, ran after it, you know, hoping to see something worth seeing. I ran after them, but I couldn't keep up. I ran around a corner and saw my friends looking at me. Hell, I saw everybody looking at me. Fire trucks everywhere. People from the neighborhood. It was my house they were there for. It was my mom in bed burnt down to nothing. That was the hard part. You know, she was just gone. Erased. Nothing left of her. People said it was better that way. I don't know. Just made it seem like it wasn't real, you know?
- Carl Grimes: I shot my mom. She was out. Hadn't turned yet. I ended it. It was real. I'm sorry about your mom.
- Daryl Dixon: I'm sorry about yours.
Made to Suffer [3.08]Edit
- The Governor: What happened tonight is horrible. We haven't have a day like that since the wall was built. I failed in my duty. I should say that we're going be OK, and we're safe we will bury our dead tomorrow and watch TV on the sofa. But I won't. Because I can't. Cause I'm afraid. I'm afraid that the terrorists want what we have! They want to destroy us! And worst. Because one of those terrorists is one of our own. Merle! The man I counted on! Man I trusted. He brought them here! He let them in. How could you! You lied! He betrayed us all! This is one of the terrorists huh. Merle's own brother! So what should we do with them, huh?
- Woodbury Crowd: Kill them!!!
- The Governor: What? What do you want?
- Woodbury Crowd: Kill them!!!
- The Governor: You wanted your brother. Now you got him.
The Suicide King [3.09]Edit
- The Governor: When I asked you where your loyalty was you said it was here. Well prove it. Prove it to us all. Brother against brother. The winner goes free. A fight, to the death!
Merle Dixon: The shit you doing, pointing that thing at me?
Daryl Dixon: They were scared, man.
Merle Dixon: They were rude is what they were. Rude and they owed us a token of gratitude.
Daryl Dixon: They didn't owe us nothing.
Merle Dixon: You helping people out of the goodness of your heart? Even though you might die doing it? Is that something your Sheriff Rick taught you?
Daryl Dixon: There was a baby!
Merle Dixon: Oh, otherwise you would have just left them to the biters, then?
Daryl Dixon: Man, I went back for you. You weren't there. I didn't cut off your hand, neither. You did that. Way before they locked you up on that roof. You asked for it.
Merle Dixon: You know what's funny to me? You and Sheriff Rick are like this now. Right? I bet you a penny and a fiddle of gold that you never told him that we were planning on robbing that camp blind.
Daryl Dixon: It didn't happen!
Merle Dixon: Yeah, it didn't. 'Cause I wasn't there to help you!
Daryl Dixon: What, like when we were kids, huh? Who left who then?
Merle Dixon: What?!! Huh?!! Is that why I lost my hand?!!
Daryl Dixon: You lost your hand 'cause you're a simple-minded piece of shit!
[Merle grabs Daryl by the shirt]
Merle Dixon: Yeah? You don't know!
[Daryl's shirt rips open, Merle looks horrified, Daryl's back is covered with scars from years of childhood abuse]
Merle Dixon: I... I didn't know he was...
Daryl Dixon: Yeah, you did.
[Daryl tries to hastily cover up his back with the torn pieces of his shirt and his knapsack]
Daryl Dixon: He did the same to you. That's why you left first.
- Merle Dixon: I can't go with you, I... I tried to kill that black bitch. Damn nearly killed that Chinese kid.
- Daryl Dixon: He's Korean.
- Merle Dixon: Whatever. Doesn't matter man I just can't go with you.
- Daryl Dixon [to Merle]: I might be the one walking away, but you're the one who's leaving. Again.
I Ain't Judas [3.11]Edit
- Merle Dixon: You're the farmer, Hershel.
- Hershel Greene: And you're the black sheep, Merle.
Arrow on the Doorpost [3.13]Edit
- The Governor: I thought you were a cop, not a lawyer.
- Rick Grimes: Either way, I don't pretend to be a governor.
- Michonne: [in reference to her Walker "pets"] They deserve what they got. They weren't human to begin with.
This Sorrowful Life [3.15]Edit
- Merle Dixon: [to Rick] You know something? You're right. I don't know why I do the things I do. Never did. I'm a damn mystery to me.
- Merle Dixon: Maybe these people need somebody like me around, huh? Do their dirty work. The bad guy.
- Merle Dixon: You got to play the hand you're dealt. I only got one.
- Michonne: You talk about the weight of what you have to do, how you can handle it. A bad man, someone truly evil? They're light as a feather. They don't feel a thing.
- Michonne: The truth is this could have been your shot. With your skills, a whole new beginning. But you choose to stay on the outside. No one's gonna mourn you, not even Daryl. He's got a new family.
- Merle Dixon: You keep trying to get under my skin, I'm gonna cut that tongue out. Your buddy's turning you over 'cause he's trying to save his own ass. You're as much on the outside as I am, girl.
- Michonne: Maybe. But once the Governor's done with me, at least I won't have to live with myself. You said you killed 16 men since this thing started? You ever kill anyone before?
- Merle Dixon: No.
- Michonne: And how about before Woodbury? Before you met him? Huh. So he saves your life, cleans you up, fed you a line of bullshit. Why would you kill somebody else for him? You know, we can go back.
- Merle Dixon: Ain't happening.
- Michonne: Both of us. We can just go back.
- Merle Dixon: I can't go back. Don't you understand that? I can't.
- [The Governor has subdued Merle, and draws his gun]
- Merle Dixon: I ain't gonna beg. I ain't begging you!
- The Governor: No. [shoots Merle]
Welcome to the Tombs [3.16]Edit
- The Governor: [to Milton] I told you to kill her but you didn't. And now you're gonna turn and you're gonna tear away the flesh from her bones. In this life now you kill or you die. Or you die and you kill.
- Carl Grimes: You didn't wake me up.
- Rick Grimes: I knew you were up all night reading comics with a flashlight.
- Daryl Dixon: Smells good.
- Carol Peletier: Just so you know, I liked you first.
- Daryl Dixon: Stop. You know, Rick brought in a lot of them, too.
- Carol Peletier: Not recently. Give the stranger sanctuary, keep people fed, you're gonna have to learn to live with the love.
- Patrick: [to Daryl] Uh, Mr. Dixon? I just want to say thank you for bringing that deer back yesterday. It was a real treat, sir. And I'd be honored to shake your hand. [Daryl licks his fingers then shakes Patrick's hand]
- Rick Grimes: Wasn't much use without my gun.
- Daryl Dixon: No, you were. All this time you've taking off, you earned it. We wouldn't be here without you.
- Rick Grimes: It was all of us.
- Daryl Dixon: No, it was you first. You gonna help us figure this out?
- Rick Grimes: I screwed up too many times. Those calls you gotta make, I start down that road... I almost lost my boy - who he was. Whatever else this place needs, I'm here for it.
- Daryl Dixon: Like I said, you earned it. But for what it's worth, you see mistakes. I see when the shit hits, you're standing there with a shovel.
- Daryl Dixon: I'm gonna take a group out. Best not waste any more time.
- Michonne: I'm in.
- Hershel Greene: You've haven't been exposed. Daryl has. You get in the car with him...
- Michonne: He's already given me fleas.
- Daryl Dixon: Those douchebags in the vines took themselves out, holding hands, kumbaya-style.
- Bob Stookey: They wanted to go out together same as they lived. That makes them douchebags?
- Daryl Dixon: It does if they could have gotten out.
- Hershel Greene: Some council meeting, huh?
- Sasha: We're two members short.
- Hershel Greene: I think we should make some new rules before they get back. I hereby declare we have spaghetti Tuesdays every Wednesday. First we have to find some spaghetti.
- Tyreese: How's Glenn doing?
- Hershel Greene: He made it through the night. He's breathing on his own now. Maggie and Bob are with him. He seems stable enough for me to get some air.
- Daryl Dixon: He's a tough son of a bitch.
- Hershel Greene: He is.
- Daryl Dixon: You're a tough son of a bitch.
- Hershel Greene: I am.
- Megan Chambler: [Holding up a pawn] What's this one called?
- The Governor: That's a pawn. They're your soldiers.
- Megan Chambler: Do they die?
- The Governor: Sometimes.
- Megan Chambler: Do you lose if they die?
- The Governor: [Glances in the bedroom] No, not necessarily. You can lose a lot of soldiers but still win the game.
- [Megan holds up the king]
- The Governor: That's the king. That's the guy you want to capture.
- [Megan goes to the kitchen counter, returns with a Sharpie]
- The Governor: What're you doing?
- Megan Chambler: You'll see.
- [Megan uses Sharpie on the king pieces, then holds up the king with eye patch markings]
- Megan Chambler: Looks like you.
- The Governor: Yeah.
- [Phillip chuckles, admires the king piece]
- The Governor: Come on, let's play.
- The Governor: [Setting up chess pieces] See, these are pawns...
Dead Weight [4.07]Edit
- The Governor: You can't think forever. Sooner or later, you've got to make a move.
- Megan Chambler: You never let me win anyway.
- The Governor: Well, that wouldn't be winning. That's what my daddy used to say. He used to beat me at chess, too. Heck, he used to beat me at everything.
- Megan Chambler: Was your dad mean?
- The Governor: Sometimes.
- Megan Chambler: Were you bad?
- The Governor: Sometimes.
- Pete Dolgen: Man, what happened here? I mean, what the hell is going on in this cabin? Were they storing those biters?
- Caesar Martinez: They were his wife and kid, man.
- Pete Dolgen: No, they were biters. What about those heads?
- Caesar Martinez: Belonged to the guys who did the wrong thing to the wrong man.
- The Governor: Probably best not think too much about it.
- Mitch Dolgen: Better listen to One Eye Bri, Pete. I can never tell if he's winking or blinking. But you know how to regulate. Don't you, Bri? He was always like this, Martinez?
- Caesar Martinez: Oh, yeah. Ice in the veins. You should have seen him back in the day.
- Mitch Dolgen: End of the world don't mean shit when you got a tank.
- Pete Dolgen: I was Army, too. Stationed out of Fort Benning. Stayed for a while after it all started.
- Mitch Dolgen: That's my Pete. He's too loyal to bounce.
- The Governor: I remember the first smoke I ever had. Me and my brother huddled in the garage puffing on one of my dad's Lucky Strikes. He must have smelled the smoke, because he came barging in looking to beat up on us. But my brother got between us. Said he stole them. Wasn't true. It was me. But that was my brother. Hero. He got two black eyes and a broken rib for that. And I got beat anyway.
Too Far Gone [4.08]Edit
- Glenn Rhee: I could use a vacation. Get away. Just for a weekend.
- Maggie Greene: Yeah.
- Glenn Rhee: You know, our anniversary is coming up.
- Maggie Greene: It is?
- Glenn Rhee: One of these days.
- Maggie Greene: You've ever been to Amicalola Falls? Tallest waterfalls in Georgia.
- Glenn Rhee: Mm-mmm.
- Maggie Greene: My Dad took me there when I was little. When we were up there, all the way at the top looking down, I felt like I was flying.
- Glenn Rhee: I'll go load up the station wagon.
- Hershel Greene: If you understand what it's like to have a daughter, then how can you threaten to kill someone else's?
- The Governor: Because they aren't mine.
- The Governor: Rick! Come down here. We need to talk.
- Rick Grimes: It's not up to me. There's a council now. They run this place.
- The Governor: Is Hershel on the council? What about Michonne? She on the council, too?
- Rick Grimes: I don't make decisions anymore.
- The Governor: You're making the decisions today, Rick. Come down here. Let's have that talk.
- Rick Grimes: [points to Tara] You. You in the ponytails. Is this what you want? Is this what any one of you want?
- Mitch Dolgen: What we want is what you got. Period. Time for you to leave, asshole.
- Rick Grimes: Look, I fought him before. And after, we took in his old friends. They've become leaders in what we have here. Now you put down your weapons, walk through those gates you're one of us. We let go of all of it, and nobody dies. Everyone who's alive right now. Everyone who's made it this far. We've all done the worst kinds of things just to stay alive. But we can still come back. We're not too far gone. We get to come back. I know we all can change.
- [The Governor looks at Michonne's sword, and there is a tense pause]
- The Governor: [quietly] Liar.
- Rick Grimes: NO! [draws his revolver & fires at the Governor]
- The Governor: Go through the fences. Get in your cars, get your guns. We go in, kill them all!
- Rick Grimes: Don't look back, Carl. Just keep walking.
- Carl Grimes: I tied the door shut.
- Rick Grimes: We don't need to take any chances.
- Carl Grimes: You don't think it'll hold?
- Rick Grimes: Carl.
- Carl Grimes: It's a strong knot. Clove hitch. Shane taught me. Remember him?
- Rick Grimes: Yeah, I remember him. I remember him every day.
- Beth Greene: [writing in her diary] Hey. I know it's been a while. I'm gonna be honest, I forgot about you. After the farm, we were always moving. But something happened. Something good. Finally. We found a prison. Daddy thinks that we can make it into a home. He says we can grow crops in the field, find pigs and chickens, stop running, stop scavenging. Lori's baby is just about due. She'll need a safe place when it comes. The rest of us, we just need a safe place to be. I woke up in my own bed yesterday. My own bed in my own room. But I've been keeping my backpack. Keeping my gun close. I've been afraid to get my hopes up thinking we can actually stay here. The thing is, I've been starting to get afraid that it's easier just to be afraid. But this morning Daddy said something. If you don't have hope, what's the point of living? So I unpacked my bag and I found you. So I'm gonna start writing in you again. And I'm gonna write this down now because you should write down wishes to make them come true. We can live here. We can live here for the rest of our lives.
- Tara Chambler: I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Brian, that man, told us you were bad people. I know it's not true. I can see it's not, so what we did, what I did I mean, I'm a piece of shit. Why would you want my help?
- Glenn Rhee: I don't want it, I need it. I have to find Maggie.
- Tara Chambler: Who's Maggie?
- Glenn Rhee: She's my wife.
- Tara Chambler: You guys got separated?
- Glenn Rhee: I was on the bus and then I got off to help and she didn't see me.
- Tara Chambler: How do you know if she made it?
- Glenn Rhee: I don't know. But Hershel, Maggie's father, was a great man. And he told me all I had to do was believe, and that's what I'm gonna do.
- Abraham Ford: Son of a dick.
- Beth Greene: So you want to spend the rest of our lives staring into a fire and eating mud snakes? Screw that.
- Beth Greene: [to Daryl] I know you look at me and you just see another dead girl. I'm not Michonne. I'm not Carol. I'm not Maggie. I've survived and you don't get it 'cause I'm not like you or them. But I made it and you don't get to treat me like crap just because you're afraid.
- Beth Greene: You're gonna miss me so bad when I'm gone, Daryl Dixon.
- Daryl Dixon: Merle had this dealer. This janky little white guy. A tweaker. One day we were over at his house watching TV. Wasn’t even noon yet and we were all wasted. Merle was high. We were watching this show and Merle was talking all this dumb stuff about it. And he wouldn’t let up. Merle never could. Turns out it was the tweaker’s kid’s favorite show. And he never sees his kids, so he felt guilty about it or something. So he punches Merle in the face. So I started hitting the tweaker like, hard. As hard as I can. Then he pulls a gun, sticks it right here. He says, "I’m gonna kill you, bitch." So Merle pulls his gun on him. Everyone’s yelling. I’m yelling. I thought I was dead. Over a dumb cartoon about a talking dog. The tweaker punched me in the gut. I puked. They both started laughing and forgot all about it.
- Joe: [to Daryl] A bowman. I respect that. See a man with a rifle, he could have been some kind of photographer or a soccer coach back in the day. But a bowman’s a bowman through and through.
- Joe: Why hurt yourself when you can hurt other people?
- Lizzie Samuels: Did you have kids?
- Carol Peletier: I did. A kid. A daughter.
- Lizzie Samuels: What was she like?
- Carol Peletier: She was sweet. She didn't have a mean bone in her body.
- Lizzie Samuels: Is that why she isn't here now?
- Mika Samuels: When we were giving them names, we were just pretending things weren't bad. Things are bad. Those things, they're bad. They are. We can't pretend anymore.
- Lizzie Samuels: I'm not pretending. You were.
- Tyreese: The whole world is haunted now.
- Eugene Porter: I'm well aware it sounds bananas. But looking at the fossil record, knowing what I know about this infection, you cannot say for certain it isn't what killed off the dinosaurs. Now, do I believe that's what happened? No. But it's enjoyable as hell to think about an undead ankylosaur going after a diplodocus. That there is a video game worth a pre-order.
- Joe: See, going it alone, that ain't an option nowadays. Still, it is survival of the fittest. That's a paradox right there. So I laid out some rules of the road to keep things from going Darwin every couple hours. Keep our merry band together and stress-free. All you got to do is claim. That's how you mark your territory, your prey, your bed at night. One word, claimed.
- Daryl Dixon: There ain't no us.
- Joe: You leaving right now? No? Then it sure seems like there's an us.You a cat person, Daryl? I am. Loved 'em since I was three years old. Vicious creatures. Anyway, I'll tell you, and this is true, ain't nothing sadder than an outdoor cat that thinks he's an indoor cat.
- Joe: [with regard to Len] Well teach him a lesson, gents. He's a lying sack of shit. I'm sick of it. Teach him all the way.
- Joe: Seems to me like things are finally starting to fall together. At least for guys like us.
- Joe: [to Rick] Look, we can settle this. We're reasonable men. First, we're gonna beat Daryl to death. Then we'll have the girl. Then the boy. Then I'm gonna shoot you and then we'll be square.
- Joe: [to Rick] What the hell are you gonna do now, sport?
- [Rick lunges forward and rips open Joe's throat with his teeth, killing him]
- Dan: [holds Carl at knifepoint] I'll kill him!
- Michonne: [to Dan while aiming a revolver at him] Let the boy go.
- Rick Grimes: [to Michonne as he prepares to gut Carl's captor] He's MINE.
- Michonne: We went to a refugee camp. Andre and my boyfriend Mike, that was Andre's father, and our friend Terry. At the camp, it just got worse and worse. People were leaving. People giving up. But I didn't. I was coming back from a run. I saw the fences were down. I heard the moans. It was over. And Mike and Terry, they were high when it happened. They were bit. Could have stopped it. Could have killed them. But I let them turn. I made it so they couldn't bite, couldn't scratch. I tied chains around their necks. It was insane. It was sick. It felt like what I deserved, dragging them around so that I would always know. I found out that they kept me safe. They hid me. The walkers didn't see me anymore. I was just another monster.
- Rick Grimes: They're gonna feel pretty stupid when they find out...
- Abraham Ford: Find out what?
- Rick Grimes: They're screwin' with the wrong people.
No Sanctuary [5.01]Edit
- Alex: We should never have put up the signs. What the hell did we think was gonna happen? We brought them here.
- Gareth: We were trying to do something good. We were being human beings.
- Alex: What are we now, Gareth?
- Rick Grimes: [to Gareth] There's a compound bow and a machete with a red handle. That's what I'm gonna use to kill you.
- Martin: I don't have any friends. I mean, I know people. They're just assholes I stay alive with. I don't have any friends. The other one your friend? The woman? I used to have them. Used to watch football on Sundays. Went to church. I know I did. But I can't picture it anymore. It's funny how you don't even notice the time go by. Horrible shit just stacks up day after day. You get used to it.
- Tyreese Williams: I haven't gotten used to it.
- Martin: Of course you haven't. You're the kind of guy who saves babies. It's kind of like saving an anchor when you're stuck without a boat in the middle of the ocean. Been behind some kind of walls, right? You're still around, but you haven't had to get your hands dirty. I can tell. See, you're a good guy.
- Mary: The signs they were real. It was a sanctuary. People came and took this place.
- Carol Peletier: Just tell me where--
- Mary: - And they raped and they killed and they laughed over weeks. But we got out and we fought and we got it back. And we heard the message: you're the butcher or you're the cattle.
- Eugene Porter: I'm not fleet of foot. I sure as hell can't take a dead one down with sharp buttons and hella confidence.
- Gabriel Stokes: I have no weapons of any kind. The word of God is the only protection I need.
- Gabriel Stokes: I'm a sinner. I sin almost every day. But those sins, I confess them to God, not strangers.
- Abraham Ford: I'd like to propose a toast. I look around this room and I see survivors. Each and every one of you has earned that title. To the survivors!
- [everybody toasts]
- Abraham Ford: Is that all you want to be? Wake up in the morning, fight the undead pricks, forage for food, go to sleep at night with two eyes open, rinse and repeat? 'Cause you can do that. I mean, you got the strength. You got the skill. Thing is, for you people, for what you can do, that's just surrender. Now, we get Eugene to Washington and he will make the dead die and the living will have this world again. And that is not a bad takeaway for a little road trip.
- Abraham Ford: Come with us. Save the world for that little one. Save it for yourselves. Save it for the people out there who don't got nothing left to do except survive.
- Gareth: [to Bob] Good news is you're not dead yet. That's a relief, right? But try not to read too much into the word 'yet' there. It'll just drive you crazy, Bob. I want to explain myself a little. You see, we didn't want to hurt you before. We didn't want to pull you away from your group or scare you. These aren't things that we want to do. They're things we got to do. You and your people took away our home. That's fair play. Now we're out here like everybody else trying to survive. And in order to do that, we have to hunt. Didn't start that way, eating people. It evolved into that. We evolved. We had to. And now we've devolved...into hunters. I told you, I said it. Can't go back, Bob. I just hope you understand that nothing happening to you now is personal. Yeah, you put us in this situation and it is almost kind of a cosmic justice for it to be you, but we would have done this to anybody. We will. But at the end of the day, no matter how much we hate all this ugly business...
- [Bob looks down to see his leg has been amputated[
- Gareth: ...a man's got to eat. [taking a bite out of a piece of meat] If it makes you feel any better, you taste much better than we thought you would.
Four Walls and a Roof [5.03]Edit
- Bob Stookey: [to Gareth and the Hunters] I've been bitten, you stupid pricks! I'm tainted meat!
- [Rick has Gareth at his mercy]
- Gareth: We can walk away, and we will never cross paths again! I promise you!
- Rick Grimes: But you'll cross someone's path. You'd do this to anyone, right? Besides, I already made you a promise.
- Gareth: No!
- [Rick kills Gareth with his machete]
- Gabriel Stokes: This is the Lord's house!
- Maggie Greene: No. It's just four walls and a roof.
- Bob Stookey: Nightmares end. They shouldn't end who you are. And that is just this dead man's opinion.
- [Rick reads the map to Washington DC that Abraham has left for him & his group]
- Abraham Ford: Sorry I was an asshole. Come to Washington. The New World’s gonna need Rick Grimes.
- Noah: [to Beth] See, they think I'm scrawny. They think I'm weak. But they don't know shit about me. About what I am. About what you are.
- Joan: I guess it's easy to make a deal with the devil when you're not the one paying the price.
- Steven Edwards: When everything started, Dawn reported to a guy named Hanson. They had orders to clear the hospital and move everyone to Butler Park. It was close to midnight when we heard the jets, the bombs. The screams. I was on the third floor. Dawn and Hanson's teams were doing a final sweep. And we knew it was bad. Just didn't know how bad till we came up here. The city had fallen. And everyone we evacuated...they were just...gone.
- Dawn Lerner: A good man's mistakes almost ended everything for us, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let that happen again. Every sacrifice we make needs to be for the greater good. The second it isn't, the second we lose sight of that, it's all over.
- Dawn Lerner: Who the hell do you think you are?
- Beth Greene: He attacked me. Just like he attacked Joan. Just like you let him. You know what's happening here and you let it happen. You're letting it happen!
- Dawn Lerner: So that we make it!
- Beth Greene: No one's coming, Dawn! No one's coming. We're all gonna die and you let this happen for nothing.
- Eugene Porter: The smartest man I ever met happened to love my hair. My old boss, T. Brooks Ellis, the director of the Human Genome Project. He said my hair made me look like, and I quote, "a fun guy," which I am. I just ain't Samson.
- Abraham Ford: Gotten to the point where everyone alive is strong now. We have to be. You're either strong and they can help you so you help them or you're strong and they can kill ya. So you gotta kill them. You gotta kill them and...[sighs] I want to say it's never easy. That's not the truth. It's the easiest thing in the world now.
- Eugene Porter: [to Tara] I appreciate the positive affirmations and looking the other way on the perversion, but I know empirically and definitively I cannot survive on my own.
- Tara Chambler: [to Eugene] Welcome to the human race, asshole.
- Maggie Greene: I know why you have the haircut.
- Eugene Porter: I told you, it's 'cause I like it.
- Maggie Greene: I believe that. I like it, too. I think you like it for a reason. You're not the person people think you are. You want 'em to know who you are.
- Eugene Porter: Not following you.
- Maggie Greene: If you didn't have that mullet, you'd probably be like everybody else in the labs. But you're not like everybody else. I think a lot of people in your position probably woulda given up, but you didn't.
- Eugene Porter: There were people-- a lot of them along the way-- they made sure I didn't give up. It wasn't me remotely.
- Maggie Greene: It was. You started this thing. And you're not like Samson. He was kind of a mess.
- Eugene Porter: Not following you.
- Maggie Greene: Well, his story goes that one day when a lion attacked him, God gave him strength and he tore it apart. Then he goes back one day, he's by himself, and he sees that bees have made a hive in the carcass. So later he tells this riddle to people. "Out of the eater, something to eat. Out of the strong, something sweet." And I always thought, "How the hell are people supposed to know the answer when it's just about his own life? When the only place the answer is, is in his own head?"
- Carol Peletier: You said we get to start over.
- Daryl Dixon: Yeah.
- Carol Peletier: Did you?
- Daryl Dixon: I'm tryin'. Why don't you say what's really on your mind?
- Carol Peletier: I don't think we get to save people anymore.
- Daryl Dixon: Then why are you here?
- Carol Peletier: I'm tryin'.
- Daryl Dixon: Some days, I don't know what the hell to think.
- Carol Peletier: I don't know if I believe in God anymore or heaven, but if I'm going to hell, I'm making damn sure I'm holding it off as long as I can.
- Noah: We can get her back. We can get Beth back.
- Daryl Dixon: What's it gonna take?
- Noah: A lot. They got guns, people.
- Daryl Dixon: So do we.
- Tyreese Williams: My dad always told Sasha and me that it was our duty as citizens of the world to keep up with the news. When I was little and I was in his car, there were always those stories on the radio. Something happens 1,000 miles away or down the block. Some kind of horror I couldn't even wrap my head around. But he didn't change the channel. He didn't turn it off. He just kept listening. To face it. Keeping your eyes open. My dad always called that paying the high cost of living.
- Martin Hallucination: I tried to tell you. I tried to tell you, man. It was gonna be you. You're the kind of guy who saves babies. You think Gareth would have been able to follow you guys if you'd have just put a bullet in my brain? Cut me up like your sister did? Oh, whoa, whoa. Don't get up. If I hadn't told them that you were there, maybe Gareth wouldn't have gone after you. Maybe they wouldn't be dead. Maybe Bob wouldn't be dead. Maybe him being alive, maybe something about that would have changed things with Beth. Domino shit. Maybe not. Maybe you wouldn't be bit right now.
- Bob Stookey Hallucination: Man, that is bullshit. I got bit at the food bank. It went the way it had to, the way it was always going to. Just like this.
- The Governor Hallucination: You told me you'd earn your keep. You had no idea what you were talking about, did you? Did you?! Your eyes were open, but you didn't want to see. Even though I made you see it. I showed you. But did you adapt? Did you change? No. That you would sit there in front of a woman who killed someone you loved and you would forgive her. That's all there is. This is all there is. This is it.
- Tyreese Williams: I didn't know who I was talking to. I said I would do what I had to to earn my keep, but I didn't know you. But I know-- I know who I am. I know what happened and what's going on. I know. You didn't show me shit. You, you're dead. Everything that you were is dead. And it's-- it's not over. I forgave her because it's not over. It's not over. It's-- it's not over. I didn't turn away. I kept listening to the news so I could do what I could to help! I'm not giving up. You hear me? I'm not giving up! People like me-- people like me, they can live. Ain't nobody got to die today.
- Gabriel Stokes: If you ever want to talk about your father or about Beth -
- Maggie Greene: Please, stop.
- Gabriel Stokes: Whenever you're ready, I'm here.
- Maggie Greene: You never even met them.
- Gabriel Stokes: I know you're in pain.
- Maggie Greene: You don't know shit. You had a job. You were there to save your flock, right? But you didn't. You hid. Don't act like that didn't happen.
- Abraham Ford: Plan just got dicked!
- Glenn Rhee: Hey, we can make it together. But we can only make it together.
- Rick Grimes: When I was a kid I asked my grandpa once if he ever killed any Germans in the war. He wouldn't answer. He said that was grown-up stuff, so so I asked if the Germans ever tried to kill him. But he got real quiet. He said he was dead the minute he stepped into enemy territory. Every day he woke up and told himself, "Rest in peace. Now get up and go to war." And then after a few years of pretending he was dead he made it out alive. That's the trick of it, I think. We do what we need to do and then we get to live. But no matter what we find in DC, I know we'll be okay. Because this is how we survive. We tell ourselves that we are the walking dead.
The Distance [5.11]Edit
- Rick Grimes: You should keep your gates closed.
- Deanna Monroe: Why?
- Rick Grimes: Because it's all about survival now. At any cost. People out there are always looking for an angle. Looking to play on your weakness. They measure you by what they can take from you. By how they can use you to live. So bringing people into a place like this now--
- Deanna Monroe: Are you telling me not to bring your people in? Are you already looking after this place? Aaron says I can trust you.
- Rick Grimes: Aaron doesn't know me. I've killed people. I don't even know how many by now. But I know why they're all dead. They're dead so my family, all those people out there, can be alive. So I could be alive for them.
- Deanna Monroe: Sounds like I'd want to be part of your family.
- Carol Peletier: I'm gonna wash that vest. We need to keep up appearances, even you.
- Daryl Dixon: Hey, I ain't starting now.
- Carol Peletier: I'm gonna hose you down in your sleep.
- Daryl Dixon: You look ridiculous.
- Aiden Monroe: You three need new gigs. You're not ready for runs yet.
- Glenn Rhee: Yeah, pretty sure you got that backwards.
- Rick Grimes: We won't get weak. That's not in us anymore. We'll make it work. And if they can't make it then we'll just take this place.
- Daryl Dixon: [to Buttons the horse] Yeah, you used to be somebody's, huh? Now you're just yours.
- Aaron: I know you're feeling like an outsider. It's not your fault, you know. Eric and I, we're still looked at as outsiders in a lot of ways. We've heard our fair share of well-meaning, but hilariously offensive things from some otherwise really nice men and women. People are people. The more afraid they get, the more stupid they get. Fear shrinks the brain. They're scared of you and me for different reasons. They're less scared of me because they know me. It's less and less every day. So let them get to know you. You should go to Deanna's party tonight.
- Daryl Dixon: I got nothing to prove. I met a lot of bad people out here doing a lot of bad shit. They weren't afraid of nothing.
- Aaron: Yeah, they were.
- Jessie Anderson: You know, everyone's been through it somehow. Everyone.
- Rick Grimes: And a lot of things disappeared.
- Jessie Anderson: But a lot of bullshit went with it. They're all from totally different backgrounds, different places. They never would have even met. And now they're part of each other's lives. They are each other's lives. I'm just saying, we all lost things, but we got something back. It isn't enough, but it's something.
- Carol Peletier: You can never tell anyone, especially your mom. Because if you do one morning you'll wake up and you won't be in your bed.
- Sam Anderson: Where will I be?
- Carol Peletier: You'll be outside the walls far, far away tied to a tree. And you'll scream and scream because you'll be so afraid. No one will come to help because no one will hear you. Well, something will hear you. The monsters will come. The ones out there. And you won't be able to run away when they come for you. And they will tear you apart and eat you up all while you're still alive. All while you can still feel it. And then afterwards, no one will ever know what happened to you. Or you can promise not to ever tell anyone what you saw here and then nothing will happen. And you'll get cookies. Lots of cookies.
- Reg Monroe: How is it that you called this extremely early morning meeting, yet I'm the one bringing breakfast?
- Noah: 'Cause you're a good guy.
- Reg Monroe: The evidence seems to go in that direction.
- Rick Grimes: You ever heard about the broken window theory? Boils down to this-- you keep the windows intact, you keep society intact.
- Eugene Porter: So you’re aware, I’m on record as stating that I should not be here. You well know that I’m not combat ready or even for that matter combat inclined.
- Eugene Porter: I got you all to DC, which, in this man's opinion, is damn near nirvana by current standards.
- Tara Chambler: Except you didn't get us here. We got you here.
- Eugene Porter: But were it not for me and my mention of this city's potential for home and hearth, not a one of you would have had the vision to come here, let alone the cojones to travail such a fraught and punishing pilgrimage. And that, sister, is a fact. That's as cold and hard as they come.
- Tara Chambler: God, you're really that much of a coward?
- Eugene Porter: Yes, I am. I told you I was.
- Glenn Rhee: Nicholas, don't talk, just listen. Those four people you lost on that run, that's on you. And Noah, that's on you, too. Those five lives, you have to carry that. People like you are supposed to be dead, but these walls went up just in time, so you're not. You don't go outside those walls anymore. Not by yourself, not with anyone else. And that's how you're gonna survive.
- Nicholas: Who the hell do you think you are?
- Glenn Rhee: I'm someone who knows who you are. I know what you did. And it's not gonna happen again.
- Enid: It's their world. We're just living in it.
- Rick Grimes: You still don't get it. None of you do! We know what needs to be done and we do it. We're the ones who live. You, you just sit and plan and hesitate. You pretend like you know when you don't. You wish things weren't what they are. Well, you want to live? You want this place to stay standing? Your way of doing things is done. Things don't get better because you-- you want them to. Starting right now, we have to live in the real world. We have to control who lives here.
- Deanna Monroe: That's never been more clear to me than it is right now.
- Rick Grimes: Me? Me? You-- You mean-- you mean me? Your way is gonna destroy this place. It's gonna get people killed. It's already gotten people killed. And I'm not gonna stand by and just let it happen. If you don't fight, you die. I'm not gonna stand by--
- [Michonne knocks Rick out]
- Morgan Jones: What's the W for?
- W Man: You know, the first settlers here, they put bounties on wolves' heads. Brought the natives into it. Made them hunt them. Didn't take them too long to kill them all. They're back now. Thoughts?
- Morgan Jones: Everything gets a return.
- Reg Monroe: The cavemen, they were all nomads. And they all died. Then we evolved into this and we lived. Civilization starts when we stop running. When we live together. When we stop sending people away from the world and from each other.
- Rick Grimes: I don't want to lie anymore.
- Carol Peletier: You said you don't want to take this place. And you don't want to lie? Oh, sunshine, you don't get both.
- Carol Peletier: [to Pete] I could kill you right now. I could. I will. And then who would believe I did it because I didn't like you? No one. They'd believe you tried to hurt me. Definitely believe that. Come at me. No? Yeah? No. The way this has played out, you have a chance. You're here. Your wife's there. You're a small, weak nothing. And with the world how it is, you're even weaker. Play your cards right, maybe you don't have to die. And I want my dish back clean when you're done.
- Daryl Dixon: Why?
- Morgan Jones: Why? Because all life is precious, Daryl.
First Time Again [6.01]Edit
- Rick Grimes: I know this sounds insane, but this is an insane world. We have to come for them before they come for us, it's that simple.
- Eugene Porter: [to Heath] I fully respect the hair game.
- Heath: This was supposed to be a dress rehearsal.
- Glenn Rhee: I'm supposed to be delivering pizzas, man.
- Maggie Greene: [to Tara] Glenn saves people. Even people like that. I couldn't accept it either. But then I thought about you. How we were on different sides of that fence on the worst day of my life. And now you're one of the most important people in the world to me. Things can get better. We can make them better.
- Abraham Ford: [to Sasha] Well, look at me. You didn't see Reg the night he got it. That was a mess. And Pete. His face just blowing up like Pompeii right when we were cheek to cheek. I still think I got some of his brains in my ear.
- Morgan Jones: You with that man Carter, in the armory-- that's you. You're still the same man I met in King County. The one that came back and told me it wasn't over. That was you. Same you that's right in front of me right now.
- Rick Grimes: I wanted to kill him. So it would be easier. So I wouldn't have to worry about how he could screw up or what stupid thing he'd do next because that's who he is. Just somebody who shouldn't be alive now. I wanted to kill him. But all that hit me and I realized I didn't have to do it. He doesn't get it. Somebody like that they're gonna die no matter what.
- Carol Peletier: [to Sam] Your dad used to hit you and then he got himself killed. It happened. Now it's done. You live with it or it eats you up. Go home.
- Denise Cloyd: Listen, I'm a little nervous here. I'm a psychiatrist. I went to med school. I was even gonna be a surgeon, but after the panic attacks, I got really interested in psychology. And I think I'm really trying to lower expectations here.
- Morgan Jones: My people have guns. Yours don't. They may be aiming rifles at you right now. Eyes at the scopes. Fingers on the trigger. Boom. It's gonna happen any second now unless you get the hell out of here and you don't ever come back. You keep choosing this life, you will die.
- Wolf: We didn't choose.
- Eugene Porter[to Denise]: You're a doctor.
- Denise Cloyd: Are you?
Here's Not Here [6.04]Edit
Always Accountable [6.06]Edit
Start to Finish [6.08]Edit
No Way Out [6.09]Edit
- Bud: If you have to eat shit, best not to nibble. Bite, chew, swallow, repeat. It goes quicker.
- Glenn Rhee: People you love, they made you who you are. They're still part of you. If you stop being you, that last bit of them that's still around inside, who you are, it's gone.
- Gabriel Stokes: We've been praying together. Praying that God will save our town. Well, our prayers have been answered. God will save Alexandria because God has given us the courage to save it ourselves.
- Rick Grimes: I was wrong. I thought after living behind these walls for so long that maybe they couldn't learn. But today I saw what they could do, what we could do, if we work together. We'll rebuild the walls. We'll expand the walls. There will be more. There's gotta be more. Everything Deanna was talking about is possible. It's all possible. I see that now. When I was out there with them when it was over when I knew we had this place again I had this feeling. It took me a while to remember what it was because I haven't felt it since before I woke up in that hospital bed. I want to show you the new world, Carl. I want to make it a reality for you. Please, Carl let me show you. Plea-- please, son, don't die.
The Next World [6.10]Edit
Knots Untie [6.11]Edit
- Abraham Ford: [to Glenn] When you were, uh, pouring the Bisquick, were you trying to make pancakes?
- Abraham Ford: Good gracious, Ignatius.
- Rick Grimes: We heard the name Negan. A while back, Daryl and Abraham had a run-in with his men. Who is he?
- Paul 'Jesus' Rovia: Negan's the head of a group of people he calls the Saviors. As soon as the walls were built, the Saviors showed up. They met with Gregory on behalf of their boss. They made a lot of demands, even more threats. And he killed one of us-- Rory. He was 16 years old. They beat him to death right in front of us. Said we needed to understand, right off the bat. Gregory's not exactly good at confrontation. He's not the leader I would've chosen, but he helped make this place what it is, and the people like him.
- Maggie Greene: He made the deal.
- Paul 'Jesus' Rovia: Half of everything. Our supplies, our crops, our livestock, it goes to the Saviors.
- Glenn Rhee: And what do you get in return?
- Paul 'Jesus' Rovia: They don't attack this place. They don't kill us.
- Daryl Dixon: Why not just kill them?
- Paul 'Jesus' Rovia: Most of the people here don't even know how to fight, even if we had ammo.
- Daryl Dixon: Well, how many people does Negan have?
- Paul 'Jesus' Rovia: We don't know. We've seen groups as big as 20.
- Daryl Dixon: Now, hold up. So, they show up, they kill a kid, and you give them half of everything? These dicks just got a good story. The bogeyman, he ain't shit.
- Paul 'Jesus' Rovia: Well, how do you know?
- Abraham Ford: A month ago, we took his guys out PDQ. Left them in pieces and puddles.
- Daryl Dixon: You know, we'll do it. If we go get your man back, kill Negan, take out his boys, will you hook us up? We want food, medicine, and one of them cows.
- Rick Grimes: Confrontation's never been something we've had trouble with.
- Maggie Greene: You give us supplies, we'll save Craig and take care of Negan and the Saviors, permanently.
- Gregory: I'm sorry, I find this whole conversation pretty funny. I mean, you balked when I proposed that your people work for our supplies, but now isn't that exactly what's happening here? See, I had leverage and I used it. See? It wasn't personal.
- Maggie Greene: Yes. We need food. You have it. We're willing to work for it.
- Gregory: Then I'll get supplies for your people.
- Maggie Greene: Good.
- Gregory: I'll talk to Jesus and he'll make the arrangements. See, this was fun. Exciting.
- Maggie Greene: Half.
- Gregory: Excuse me?
- Maggie Greene: Half of what you have. I saw what happened out there. Negan's expecting more supplies from this place. And more and more. And if it keeps going like that, pretty soon you won't have anything left. What happens then? Without ammo, without fighters you'd be a dead man. So half of everything you have right now or the deal's off. You see? I have leverage.
Not Tomorrow Yet [6.12]Edit
The Same Boat [6.13]Edit
- Paula: You're some kind of stupid, getting knocked up at a time like this. You think that's funny?
- Maggie Greene: When was it ever smart to get knocked up? Women used to just die in childbirth. And they always thought the world was gonna end. Living through it, why would you just give up?
- Paula: But are you gonna live through it? Anyway, that's cute. Babies are the point. Children are our future. Making bite-size snacks for the dead. The point is to stay standing.
- Maggie Greene: No. Walkers do that. I'm choosing something.
- Molly: Y'all are worse than a bunch of evangelical second graders.
- Paula: I was a secretary before. I fetched coffee for my boss and made him feel good about himself. I spent most of my days reading stupid inspirational e-mails to try and feel good about myself. There was this one that kept going around. A young woman was having a hard time and told her mom she wanted to give up, so her mom went to the kitchen and started boiling three pots of water. She put a carrot in one, an egg in another, and ground coffee beans in the last one. After they had boiled a while, her mom said, "Look, all three things went through the same boiling water. The carrot went in strong and came out soft. The egg was fragile and came out hard. But the coffee beans changed the water itself." You're supposed to want to be the coffee beans. See, to me, coffee was just a thing that my boss would drink up. No matter how many times I refilled his damn cup, it was just never enough. I was at work when the Army took over DC. We weren't allowed to leave. They had to evacuate all the important people first-- members of Congress, government employees. So I was stuck with my boss. Not my family-- my husband, my four girls. My boss was weak and stupid and he was going to die and he was going to take me down, too. He was the first person I killed so that I could live. I stopped counting when I hit double digits. That's right around the time I stopped feeling bad about it. I am not like you. I'm still me, but better. I lost everything and it made me stronger.
- Carol Peletier: You sure about that?
- Paula: I'm alive.
- Carol Peletier: With those people, those killers.
- Paula: Your people are killers, Carol. That makes you a killer.
- Carol Peletier: You-- you're the one.
- Paula: Excuse me?
- Carol Peletier: You're the one who's afraid to die. And you're going to. You will die. It's what's gonna happen if you don't work this out.
- Paula: Are you going to kill me?
- Carol Peletier: I hope not.
Twice as Far [6.14]Edit
Last Day on Earth [6.16]Edit
- Rick Grimes: You wanna make today your last day on Earth?
- Lead Savior: No. But that is a good thing to bring up. Think about it. What if it's the last day on Earth for you? Or someone you love? What if that's true? Maybe you should be extra nice to those people in that RV. 'Cause you never know... [snaps fingers] Just like that. Be kind to each other. Like you said. Like it was your last day on Earth.
- Rick Grimes: You do the same.
- Negan: Pissin' our pants yet? Boy, do I have a feeling we're getting close. Yep. Gonna be pee-pee pants city here real soon. Which one of you pricks is the leader?
- Lead Savior: [points to Rick] It's this one. He's the guy.
- Negan: [to Rick] Hi. You're Rick, right? I'm Negan. And I do not appreciate you killing my men. Also, when I sent my people to kill your people for killing my people, you killed more of my people. Not cool. Not cool! You have no idea how not cool that shit is, but I think you're gonna be up to speed shortly. Yeah. You are so gonna regret crossing me in a few minutes. [smiles] Yes you are. You see, Rick, whatever you do, no matter what, you don't mess with the New World Order, and the New World Order is this, and it's really very simple so even if you're stupid which you very may well be, you can understand it. You ready? Here it goes, pay attention. [aims his baseball bat at Rick] Give me your shit... or I will kill you. Today was career day. We invested a lot so you could know who I am and what I can do. You work for me now. You have shit, you give it to me; that's your job. Now, I know that is a mighty, big, nasty pill to swallow, but swallow it you most certainly will! You rule the roost. You built something. You thought you were safe. I get it. But the word is out. You are not safe. Not even close. In fact, you are pegged. More pegged if you don't do what I want and what I want is half your shit. And if that's too much, you can make, find, or steal more and it'll even out sooner or later. This is your way of life now. The more you fight back, the harder it will be. So, if someone knocks on your door... heh, you let us in. We own that door. You try to stop us and we will knock it down. You understand? [holds his ear up to Rick] What? No answer? You don't really think that you were gonna get through this without being punished, now did you? I don't wanna kill you people. Just wanna make that clear from the get go. I want you to work for me. You can't do that if you're dead, now can you? I'm not growing a garden. But you killed my people, a whole damn lot of them; more than I'm comfortable with. And for that, for that you're gonna pay. So now... I'm gonna beat the holy hell outta one of you. [shows Rick his baseball bat] This, this is Lucille. And she is awesome. All this, all this is so we can pick out which one of you gets the honor. [looks at Abraham] Huh. God, I gotta shave this shit. [walks over to Carl] You got one of our guns. Yeah, you got a lot of our guns. Shit kid. Lighten up. Least cry a little. [chuckles; walks over to Maggie] Jesus! You look shitty! Let's just put you out of your misery right now.
- Glenn Rhee: [attemps to stop Negan] No! No!
- [Glenn is violently restrained and held at gunpoint by Dwight]
- Maggie Greene: Stop it!
- Negan: Nope. Nope, get him back in line.
- Glenn Rhee: [dragged back in line] No! No... Don't... don't...
- Negan: [smiles] All right, listen. Don't any of ya do that again. I will shut that shit down, no exceptions. First one's free. It's an emotional moment. [smiles to Glenn] I get it. [to Rick] Sucks, don't it? Moment you realize you don't know shit. [looks at Carl] This is your kid, right? [chuckles] This is definitely your kid.
- Rick Grimes: So stop this!
- Negan: Hey! Do not make me kill the little future serial killer; don't make it easy on me. I gotta pick somebody. Everybody's at the table waiting for me to order. [walks alone the line-up; whistling] I simply cannot decide. I got an idea. [points Lucille at each victim] Eeny. Meeny. Miny. Moe. Catch. A tiger. By. His toe. If. He hollers. Let him go. My mother. Told me. To pick. The Very. Best. One. And you. Are... [makes his choice] It. Anybody moves, anybody says anything, cut the boy's other eye out and feed it to his father and then we'll start. You can breathe, you can blink, you can cry. Hell, you're all gonna be doing that. [violently strikes his victim over the head] Woah! Look at that! Taking it like a champ. [continues to beat his victim]
- Andrew Lincoln - Rick Grimes
- Steven Yeun - Glenn Rhee
- Chandler Riggs - Carl Grimes
- Norman Reedus - Daryl Dixon
- Melissa McBride - Carol Peletier
- Jon Bernthal - Shane Walsh
- Sarah Wayne Callies - Lori Grimes
- Laurie Holden - Andrea
- Jeffrey DeMunn - Dale Horvath
- Michael Rooker - Merle Dixon
- Lennie James - Morgan Jones
- Lauren Cohan - Maggie Greene
- Scott Wilson - Hershel Greene
- Emily Kinney - Beth Greene
- Danai Gurira - Michonne
- David Morrissey - Philip "The Governor" Blake
- Chad L. Coleman - Tyreese Williams
- Sonequa Martin-Green - Sasha Williams
- Michael Cudlitz - Sgt. Abraham Ford
- Lawrence Gilliard, Jr. - Bob Stookey
- Josh McDermitt - Eugene Porter
- Christian Serratos - Rosita Espinosa
- Alanna Masterson - Tara Chambler
- Andrew J. West - Gareth
- Seth Gilliam - Gabriel Stokes
- Ross Marquand - Aaron
- Alexandra Breckinridge - Jessie Anderson
- Tovah Feldshuh - Deanna Monroe
- Austin Nichols - Spencer Monroe
- IronE Singleton - Theodore "T-Dog" Douglas
- Tyler James Williams - Noah