1956 film by John Ford
He had to find her...he had to find her... taglines
- Our turnin' back don't mean nothin', not in the long run. She's alive, she's safe for a while. They'll keep her and raise her as one of their own til, until she's of an age to... Injun will chase a thing till he thinks he's chased it enough. Then, he quits. Same way when he runs. Seems like he never learns there's such a thing as a critter that'll just keep comin' on. So we'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth.
- I figure a man's only good for one oath at a time. I gave mine to the Confederate States of America.
- Well, Reverend, that tears it! From now on, you stay out of this. All of ya. I don't want you with me. I don't need ya for what I got to do.
- Let's go home, Debbie.
- [repeated line] That'll be the day.
- It just so happens we be Texicans. Texican is nothin' but a human man way out on a limb, this year and next. Maybe for a hundred more. But I don't think it'll be forever. Some day, this country's gonna be a fine good place to be. Maybe it needs our bones in the ground before that time can come.
- Ethan Edwards: Well Reverend, looks like you've got yourself surrounded.
- Reverend Clayton: Yeah and I figure on getting myself unsurrounded.
- Reverend Clayton: I say we do it my way. That's an order!
- Ethan: Yessir. But if you're wrong don't ever give me another.
- Reverend Clayton: You wanna quit Ethan?
- Ethan: That'll be the day.
- Cavalry soldier: It's hard to believe they're white.
- Ethan: They ain't white, not anymore. They're Comanche.
- Ethan: What you saw wasn't Lucy... What you saw was a buck wearin' Lucy's dress. I found Lucy back in the canyon. Wrapped her in my coat, buried her with my own hands, I thought it best to keep it from ya.
- Brad Jorgensen: Did they...? Was she...?
- Ethan: What do you want me to do? Draw you a picture? Spell it out? Don't ever ask me! Long as you live, don't ever ask me more.
- Reverend Clayton: Well, the prodigal brother. Ain't seen you since the surrender. Come to think of it, I didn't see you at the surrender.
- Ethan: I don't believe in surrenders.
- Brad: There's only one way you can stop me from looking for Lucy, mister, and that's kill me!
- Ethan: Alright, but I'm giving the orders, hear. I'm giving the orders or we're splitting up right here and now!
- Martin Pawley: Well sure Ethan. The only real reason were here ain't it - is to find Debbie and Lucy?
- Ethan: If they're still alive.
- [Brad Jorgenson takes a small boulder and attempts to crush the skull of a dead Comanche warrior]
- Reverend Clayton: Jorgenson!
- Ethan: Why don't you finish the job?
- [Ethan shoots out the eyes of the Comanche warrior]
- Reverend Clayton: What good did that do ya?
- Ethan: By what you preach... none. But, what that Comanch believes - ain't got no eyes... can't enter the spirit land... has to wander forever between the winds. You get it Reverend.
- Martin: You know, Laurie, I was just thinking that maybe it's about time you and me started going steady, huh?
- Laurie Jorgensen: Why Martin Pawley, you and me been going steady since we was three years old!
- Martin: We have?
- Laurie: 'Bout time you found out about it.
- Laurie: [Martin is preparing to join a raid against the Indians and rescue Debbie] You're not goin', not this time.
- Martin: Are you crazy?
- Laurie: It's too late. She's a woman grown now.
- Martin: But I gotta go, Laurie, I gotta fetch her home.
- Laurie: Fetch what home? The leavings a Comanche buck sold time and again to the highest bidder, with savage brats of her own?
- Martin: [upset] Laurie, shut your mouth.
- Laurie: Do you know what Ethan will do if he has a chance? He'll put a bullet in her brain.
- Laurie: I tell you, Martha would want him to.
- Martin: Only if I'm dead.
- Martin: [speaking to Debbie for the first time in five years] Debbie... Debbie, Debbie, don't you remember? I'm Martin, I'm Martin, your brother, remember? Debbie, remember back.
- Martin: Do you remember how I used to let you ride my horse? And tell you stories?
- Martin: Oh don't you remember me, Debbie?
- Debbie Edwards: [sad] I remember, from always. At first I prayed to you to come and get me, take me home. You didn't come.
- Martin: But I've come now, Debbie.
- Debbie: These are my people... Go. Go, Martin, please!
- He had to find her... he had to find her...
- The Biggest, Roughest, Toughest ...and Most Beautiful Picture Ever Made!