The Player (film)
1992 film by Robert Altman
Making movies can be murder. (taglines)
Griffin Mill Edit
- I was just thinking what an interesting concept it is to eliminate the writer from the artistic process. If we could just get rid of these actors and directors, maybe we've got something here.
- This is a red wine glass. Can I have my water in a water glass?
- [after watching The Bicycle Thief] Great movie, huh? So refreshing to see something like this after all these... cop movies and, you know, things we do. Maybe we'll do a remake of this!
- Can we talk about something other than Hollywood for a change? We're educated people.
June Gudmundsdottir Edit
- I like words and letters, but I'm not crazy about complete sentences.
- Malcolm McDowell: Griffin? Griffin! Hi, how are you? Listen: the next time you want to badmouth me, have the courage to do it to my face. You guys are all the same.
- June Gudmundsdottir: I don't go to movies.
- Griffin Mill: Why not?
- June Gudmundsdottir: Life is too short.
- Griffin Mill: It lacked certain elements that we need to market a film successfully.
- June Gudmundsdottir: What elements?
- Griffin Mill: Suspense, laughter, violence. Hope, heart, nudity, sex. Happy endings. Mainly happy endings.
- June Gudmundsdottir: What about reality?
- Larry Levy: I'll be there right after my AA meeting.
- Griffin Mill: Oh Larry, I didn't realize you had a drinking problem.
- Larry Levy: Well I don't really, but that's where all the deals are being made these days.
- Griffin Mill: [Asked to look at police mug shots] Um, no. I - I mean, I - You're putting me in a terrible position here. I would - I would hate to get the wrong person arrested.
- Detective Susan Avery: Oh, please! This is Pasadena. We do not arrest the wrong person. That's L.A.!
- Detective Susan Avery: Mr. Mill, have you been going to detective school?
- Griffin Mill: No, actually, we're doing a... a movie right now, called Lonely Room, and Scott Glenn plays a detective much like yourself.
- Detective Susan Avery: Is he a black woman?
- Griffin Mill: So, what's the story?
- Walter Stuckel: Twenty-five words or less? Okay. Movie exec calls writer. Writer's girlfriend says he's at the movies. Exec goes to the movies, meets writer, drinks with writer. Writer gets conked and dies in four inches of dirty water. Movie exec is in deep shit. What do you think?
- Griffin Mill: That's more than 25 words and it's bullshit.
- Griffin Mill: Let's go to Acapulco.
- June Gudmundsdottir: Is that the thing to do?
- Griffin Mill: It's a thing to do.
- June Gudmundsdottir: What took you so long?
- Griffin Mill: Traffic was a bitch.
- Making movies can be murder.
- Now more than ever!
- Everything you've heard is true!
- In Hollywood, it's not who you know, it's who you kill.
- The Best Movie Ever Made!" - Griffin Mill
- Tim Robbins - Griffin Mill
- Greta Scacchi - June Gudmundsdottir
- Fred Ward - Walter Stuckel
- Whoopi Goldberg - Detective Avery
- Peter Gallagher - Larry Levy
- Brion James - Joel Levison
- Cynthia Stevenson - Bonnie Sherow
- Vincent D'Onofrio - David Kahane
- Dean Stockwell - Andy Civella
- Richard E. Grant - Tom Oakley
- Sydney Pollack - Dick Mellon
- Lyle Lovett - Detective DeLongpre
- Dina Merrill - Celia
- Gina Gershon - Whitney Gersh
- Jeremy Piven - Steve Reeves
- Malcolm McDowell - himself
- Cher - herself
- Bruce Willis - himself
- Julia Roberts - herself
- Jeff Goldblum - himself
- Anjelica Huston - herself
- Peter Falk - himself
- Lily Tomlin - herself
- Burt Reynolds - himself
- Jack Lemmon - himself
- Nick Nolte - himself
- John Cusack - himself