The Great Invocation
The Great Invocation is a 1937 mantra by Alice Bailey.
The Great InvocationEdit
- From the point of Light within the Mind of God
- Let light stream forth into the minds of men.
- Let Light descend on Earth.
- From the point of Love within the Heart of God
- Let love stream forth into the hearts of men.
- May Christ return to Earth.
- From the centre where the Will of God is known
- Let purpose guide the little wills of men –
- The purpose which the Masters know and serve.
- From the centre which we call the race of men
- Let the Plan of Love and Light work out
- And may it seal the door where evil dwells.
- Let Light and Love and Power restore the Plan on Earth.
Quotes about The Great InvocationEdit
- Some time ago I gave out to the world – under instruction from the Christ – an Invocation that is destined to become of major usefulness in bringing about certain great events. These are:
- An outpouring of love and light upon mankind, from Shamballa.
- An invocatory appeal to the Christ, the Head of the Hierarchy, to reappear.
- The establishing on earth of the divine Plan, to be accomplished willingly by humanity itself.
- Incidentally, these three events are relatively near, and will be brought about by a conscious working out of the immediate phase of the Plan, which it is the divine intention to bring about to a certain extent, before the reappearance of the Christ. The establishing of right human relations, is the immediate task, and is that phase of the Plan of Love and Light to which humanity can most easily respond, and for which they are already evidencing a sense of responsibility.
- Little attention has been paid to the factor of invocation as expressed by the people of the world; yet down the ages the invocative cry of humanity has risen to the Hierarchy, and brought response. . . .
- Now the Great Invocation, as used by the Hierarchy itself, has been given out to the world. So reactionary is human thinking, that the claim made by me, that it is one of the greatest of the world's prayers, and is on a par with the other voiced expressions of spiritual desire and intention, will evoke criticism. That is of no importance . . .
- The uniqueness connected with the Invocation, consists in the fact that it is, in reality, a great method of integration. It links the Father, the Christ and humanity in one great relationship. . . . The Great Invocation relates the will of the Father (or of Shamballa), the love of the Hierarchy, and the service of Humanity, into one great Triangle of Energies; this triangle will have two major results: the "sealing of the door where evil dwells", and the working out through the Power of God, let loose on earth through the Invocation, of the Plan of Love and Light . . .
- The Invocation has been sent out by the combined Ashrams of the Masters and by the entire Hierarchy; it is used by its Members with constancy, exactitude and power. It will serve to integrate the two great centres: the Hierarchy and Humanity, and to relate them both in a new and dynamic manner to the "centre where the Will of God is known".
- I ask you, therefore, during the coming years, to prepare, to use, and to distribute the Invocation, and make it a major endeavour.
- Suggested Visualizations
- When you say the first line: “From the point of Light . . . ,” visualize (or think of, if you cannot visualize) the Buddha...hand raised in blessing...see emanating from... Buddha, a brilliant golden light... [streaming into] the minds of men everywhere.
- When you say... “Let Light descend on Earth,” visualize the physical sun... see emanating from it beams of white light... [entering & saturating] the Earth.
- When you say: “From the point of Love . . . ,” visualize the Christ (the Embodiment of Love)...standing, arms raised in blessing, and see emanating from the heart... [and] hands of the Christ... brilliant rose coloured light (not red)... entering the hearts of men everywhere.
- When you say... “May Christ return to Earth,” remember that this refers to the Hierarchy as a whole...not only to the Christ. He is the heart centre of the Hierarchy, and although He is now among us, the remainder of the Hierarchy (that part of it which will externalize slowly over the years) still must be invoked...the magnetic conduit for Their descent must be maintained.
- When you say: “From the centre where the Will of God is known . . . ,” (which is Shamballa)...Visualize beams of light streaming from this brilliant sphere, entering the world, galvanizing mankind into spiritual action.
- Do this with focused thought and intention, your attention fixed on the ajna centre...There is nothing better you can do for the world or yourselves than to channel these great spiritual potencies.
- This new Invocation, if given widespread distribution, can be to the new world religion what the Lord's Prayer has been to Christianity and the 23rd Psalm has been to the spiritually minded Jew.
- Lucis Trust, "The Use and Significance of the Great Invocation," https://www.lucistrust.org/the_great_invocation/the_use_and_significance_the_great_invocation1, accessed Nov 20, 2021
- This invocation is a mantram for "Light and Power" and presents what may be considered a blueprint of the Divine Plan as the Plan is intended to express itself on Earth through the medium of the human race. The Tibetan Teacher and Master of the Wisdom, Djwhal Khul, labored most meticulously with Alice A. Bailey, his amanuensis, to ensure that this ancient Word of power was translated with great exactitude into the English language.
Today, this mantram is known all over the world as "The Great Invocation"; it has been translated into over a hundred languages and is used on a daily basis by millions of human beings. Every year, World Invocation Day is dedicated to the ceaseless sounding of The Great Invocation - in almost every country of the world.
- Michael D. Robbins, The Great Invocation, Seven Ray Institute
- At this time, the Great Invocation is the greatest aid to humanity. The fulcrum, the axis of the Great Invocation, is Christ - the reappearance of the great Lord, [the] Christ...a living individual...
Mantrams are like chemical or geometrical formulas; changing one word gives the mantram an entirely different result, or makes it misleading, dangerous or useless. Mantrams are transmitters of energy. When the transmitter is not constructed in a particular order, the energies can be destructive or negative, creating confusion and chaos in the subtle planes of human endeavor. Many mental disorders are the result of a misuse of prayers, mantrams and chanting. Let us not forget that the Hierarchy uses the Great Invocation in its original form every day.... Those who, with good intentions, want to change the Great Invocation, would do better to create a totally different invocation of their own - instead of distorting a masterpiece painting with their unskilled brush.
- Torkom Saraydarian in "Triangles of Fire" quoted by the TSG Foundation
- The Great Invocation — An ancient formula, translated by Hierarchy for the use of mankind to invoke the energies which will change our world. Translated into many languages, it is used daily by millions of people.
- Share International Glossary of Esoteric Terms
- The Triangles movement was inaugurated by the Master Djwhal Khul through Alice Bailey...It was an attempt (and a very successful one) to link people in mental substance – getting them to form a more powerful unit than their own separated selves. The Triangles movement consists in organizing those triangles. To be a member of a triangle, you simply agree with two friends to form one. You do not have to be in the same location. You do not have to say the Great Invocation at the same time of day. You each say it aloud wherever and whenever it is convenient, and as you do, each of you mentally links up with the two other members of the triangle. Visualize circulating above the heads of the three of you a triangle of white light. See your triangle linked to a network of such triangles which covers the whole world.
- Humanity has been given an extraordinarily potent tool whereby the energy of the Masters can be invoked at will. It is called the Great Invocation. The Christ Himself used it for the first time in June 1945, when He announced to His Brothers, the Masters of Wisdom, that He was ready to return to the world at the earliest possible moment, as soon as humanity took the first steps towards sharing and co-operation for the general good. It was translated by the Masters and released to the world by the Tibetan Master Djwhal Khul through His amanuensis Alice A. Bailey. The Great Invocation is a very potent prayer. By its use, any group of transmitters can invoke the energies of the Christ and the Masters, and, acting as instruments, allow these energies to pass through their chakras in a simple, pleasant and scientific manner.
The important thing is regularity. What is required is for the group to meet regularly, at least once a week, always at the same time. In this way the Masters can depend on a group of individuals being physically present at that time. By the use of the Great Invocation, the group aligns itself with Hierarchy, and the Masters transmit the energies through the group to the world. This process of Transmission will go on into the New Age and beyond, for as long as humanity exists.
- There is no real difference between the Triangles work and Transmission groups; the only difference is one of potency and the amount of time devoted to the activity... It (the Great Invocation) should be thought, mentally... The Masters transmit energy all the time. They are the Custodians of the destiny of this planet. You are safe in the hands of the Masters of Wisdom.
This Great Invocation used by the Christ for the first time in June 1945, was released by Him to humanity to enable man himself to invoke the energies which would change our world, and make possible the return of the Christ and Hierarchy. This is not the form of it used by the Christ. He uses an ancient formula, seven mystic phrases long, in an ancient sacerdotal tongue. It has been translated (by Hierarchy) into terms which we can use and understand and, translated into many languages, is used today in almost every country in the world.
- Benjamin Creme in Transmission: A Meditation for the New Age, Share International (1983)
- The Great Invocation is so powerful a mantram and so broad in its margin of error that it can be said perfectly, semi-perfectly or very inadequately and it will still invoke the energies, as long as you say it with intention. You have to bring the will into it. When you say it, your attention must be focused at the ajna centre between the eyebrows. It is the intention of the will linked with Hierarchy that does it.
Potent as it is, it can be made even more so if used in triangular formation. If you wish to work in this way, arrange with two friends to use the Invocation, aloud, daily. You need not be in the same town, or country, or say it at the same time of day. Simply say it when convenient for each one, and, linking up mentally with the two other members, visualize a triangle of white light circulating above your heads and see it linked to a network of such triangles, covering the world.
Group Meditations that use the Great InvocationEdit
- The Great Invocation Lucis Trust