An editor from far NipponEdit
An editor from far Nippon
Hath deemed it fit to pounce upon
Todd Murphy's gem of pithy wit.
O, Anglophones! Consider it
Full worthy of inclusion here.
Now, teapot tempest, disappear!
Writtenright 21:43, 4 April 2007 (UTC)Writtenright
You're missing my favourite: "The more clearly we can focus our attention on the wonders and realities of the universe around us, the less taste we shall have for destruction." ~Rachel Carson. Sorry I'm really not familiar with wiki editing, could someone add it if they feel its approiate? I'm not even sure how to sign this.
Manfred F. Schieder quoteEdit
-I took out "The world exists for us human beings. It is not we who exist for the world, as the enemies of mankind would have it, for a world without humans lacks every sense of existence." because it's a pretty anti-environmentalist quote, or at the very least, clearly not environmental.
- This is good country, pardner. The least you can do is leave it like you find it. A hundred years from now a better man than you will wonder if you did.
- George Stanley Baker, Above the Door, Sierra County, CA 1959
- After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager".
- A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people.
- Energy Policy will be and should be driven by environmental policy in the future.
- Timothy Wirth, U.S. Senator, February 20, 1991
- Environmentally friendly cars will soon cease to be an option...they will become a necessity.
- Every human has a fundamental right to an environment of quality that permits a life of dignity and well-being
- United Nations Conference on the Human Environment, Stockholm
- Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called "rain".
- Michael McClary
- Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.
- Cree Indian Proverb
- On our crowded planet there are no longer any internal affairs!
- Strict economy in the use of natural resources has not been practiced, but it must be henceforth unless we are immoral enough to impair conditions in which our children are to live
- Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time.
- The road to the future leads us smack into the wall. We simply ricochet off the alternatives that destiny offers: a demographic explosion that triggers social chaos and spreads death, nuclear delirium and the quasi-annihilation of the species… Our survival is no more than a question of 25, 50 or perhaps 100 years.
- The use of sea and air is common to all; neither can a title to the ocean belong to any people or private persons, forasmuch as neither nature nor public use and custom permit any possession therof.
- Elizabeth I of England (1533-1603)
- This is the first age that’s ever paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
- We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.
- Native Indian Proverb
- What good is a house, if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?
- When you've spent half your political life dealing with humdrum issues like the environment, it's exciting to have a real crisis on your hands.
- Margaret Thatcher on the Falklands conflict
- Right now the environment movement is a perfect bogeyman for us. In order to get people to join and donate money [to us] we need opposition.
- Alan Gottlieb, Centre for the Defence of Free Enterprise
- The environment no longer resembles a threatening monster but a beaten dog clinging to its life.
- Klaus Nürnberger
- As the ecological fabric of the natural world unravels around us, perhaps it is time that we begin to speak of the unspeakable, and to listen to that we have deemed unhearable.
- When it really comes down to it, would you really choose economics over environment, where will you be when there is no clean air or water? Screw economics for the moment. I want to live.
- Clara Price
- The bamboo seedling can sow a future of prosperity.
- Kitil Farm, February 2011