Talk:El Goonish Shive
Hi. I am not a reader of EGS, but I've been watching the page. It seems the editors on this page are doing wonderful work. From looking at the page, I notice that EGS, or at least the fans quoting to it, has a strong emphasis on on dialog. I strongly suggest looking at Talk:Buffy the Vampire Slayer to see a set of rules it might be useful to adapt for formatting dialog. Thanks! ~ MosheZadka (Talk) 04:22, 14 July 2005 (UTC)
Why, thank you. It may not be much, but this page is my first indelible mark on the Internet. I am heartened by your compliment and I will continue to add to the collection. Also, I have made the Wikipedia stub on 'Sore Thumbs' and added profiles on Noah and Mr. Tensaided to the El Goonish Shive article there. -- Jeremy J. K. Turcotte, Arnprior, Ontario, Canada, who made this page from scratch.
I'm baaack! I've made a few additions to the page, and someone else has, too. I took your advice and registered, Moshe. And I have taken up the alien language Uryuomoco. Teejvio hel meq! --Jeremy.
Hey, hey, hey, it's Jeremy back. I've really been working hard on adding all this stuff the last few weeks (I put in the subcategories, you know) and the cleanup banner is much to my chagrin. Would someone toss me a bone as to what is wrong?
- Jeremy -- I added the cleanup tag based on the formatting of the quotes. The content here is very good, but the layout of the quotes is not quite up to snuff. Take a look at some of the templates or other pages for ideas. Basically, the formatting is all over the place: no divider lines between quotes, individual quotes mixed in with bits of dialogue, etc. Bottom line is that it just needs some tweaking to better organize things and make it look a little better. UDScott 17:30, 30 November 2005 (UTC)
- I would like to add to UDScott's note above that one issue I have with the page as it stands is that absolutely nothing enables the reader to verify quotations: nothing has links to the comics, nothing has dates, nothing has chapters. This means that this page is (likely) an inaccurate mess: this isn't a diss against the hardworking contributors: my own pages are usually an inaccurate messes when I begin them. However, the wiki power of collaborative fixes magically makes them more accurate -- but such is not possible without clear citations :) ~ MosheZadka (Talk) 16:27, 1 December 2005 (UTC)
- I still think this page needs some organization, perhaps by date, so that the quotes can be verified (as Moshe suggested above). That is why I added the cleanup tag again. UDScott 20:21, 6 December 2005 (UTC)
- In any case, cleanup tags should never be removed without an edit summary, and should rarely be removed without either a note on the talk page which justifies such removal, or massive formatting edits which fix the problems. Removing tags without comment is almost vandalism, I believe. ~ MosheZadka (Talk) 20:49, 6 December 2005 (UTC)
I, Jeremy James Kenneth Turcotte, am proud to say that on this 24th of February, 2006, the El Goonish Shive Wikiquote article has exactly 270 quotes. Of these, I have personally added 210 to 240 of these quotes, and at least 260 of them are funny (in context, at least). It is the largest webcomic article on Wikiquote, edging out Dinosaur comics (236 quotes) and 8-Bit Theater (116 quotes). Booh yeah!
- This is an obscene amount of quotes to have, and it seems like quotes are being added for the sake of having the most quotes. Wouldn't it be better to simply have a few of the funniest ones, and cull the rest? I don't see anyone who isn't already a fan wading through all of that text, and a fan would probably simply look up the archives of the actual comic. Besides, a lot of these quotes are meaningless out of context. Personally, I think about 90% of this list could stand to be deleted. 188.8.131.52 11:18, 16 March 2007 (UTC)
Hey, would anybody out there mind helping me reference all these quotes? There sure are a lot of them... ~Jeremy
- Thanks for the help sourcing the stuff; keep up the good work! Some other things, though: the filler, news page and strips since March 2006 still need to be combed for quotes. Please? ~Jeremy.
- There! Done!Jerermicus rex 22:22, 25 February 2007 (UTC)
- If no-one objects, I'm taking down the cleanup banner. Jerermicus rex 14:26, 20 April 2007 (UTC)
The move of El Goonish Shive (EGS) to the 910CMX Community (from Keenspot) broke just about every link on this page -- I found only two links that still worked. As I updated the links on my own web site, I wrote down the regular expressions I needed to fix those links, and applied the ones here that looked most applicable. There is one incorrect quote I intend to fix later, and each of the external links needs a parallel link to the appropriate archive page, since the new site has a much improved archive system. -- Haylo 2009Feb14