Talk:Bram van Velde
A cleanup tag is added to the article, because the layout is not according to standards. The key problem here is the following layout:
- A painter is someone who can’t use words. His only escape is to be a seer.
- Painting is so stupid, so simple. I paint to get out of the through. I paint my misery.
- Artists don’t live in the everyday world. That’s why people think they’re an odd bunch.
- The most difficult thing is when you can’t do anything. When you just have to wait.
- short quotes, 9 November 1965; p. 54
Over-quoting in two sectionsEdit
- The discussion item was started at the Wikiquote:Administrators' noticeboard (see here), and is restarted here as suggested. Ass a start the problem is rephrased
In the latest revision two sections where added by User:FotoDutch, which seem to suffer from over-quoting:
- Conversations with Samuel Beckett and Bram van Velde (1965 - 1969); contained 50 quotes (in total about 100 lines of text) from 16 pages of text of the original.
- Conversations with Samuel Beckett and Bram van Velde (1970 - 1972); contained 29 quotes (about 90 lines of text) from 16 pages of text of the original.
There is the specific situation here that there are quotes taken from one book chapter, which publishes interviews. The Wikiquote:Limits on quotations prescribes two guidelines:
- Spoken-word (speeches, standup comedy, interviews, etc.) Five quotes maximum for any work not in the public domain.
- Books A recommended maximum of five lines of prose or eight lines of poetry for every ten pages of a book not in the public domain, or
Now both sections were trimmed down:
- First section was trimmed back to 10 short quotes (in total about 10 lines)
- The spoken-word speech-limit prescribes 5 quotes, so here: 10 short quotes = 2 times the limit
- The books-limit prescribes 8 lines of prose for 16 pages, so here: 10 lines = 1,25 times the limit
- Second section was trimmed back to 8 longer quotes (in total about 25 lines)
- The spoken-word speech-limit prescribes 5 quotes so here: 8 quotes = 1.6 times the limit
- The books-limit prescribes 8 lines of prose for 16 pages, so here: 25 lines = 3 times the limit
So overall the two sections where trimmed back to 1.25 to 3 times the limit. Now the new situation is, that User:FotoDutch doesn't except the trimming down and restored the initial over-quoting. My question is, what should be done here now? -- Mdd (talk) 10:39, 23 November 2015 (UTC)