“Israel may have the right to put others on trial, but certainly no one has the right to put the Jewish people and the State of Israel on trial.”
-- Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 25 March, 2001 quoted in BBC News Online
"Everybody has to move, run and grab as many (Palestinian) hilltops as they can to enlarge the (Jewish) settlements because everything we take now will stay ours...Everything we don't grab will go to them." -- Ariel Sharon, Israeli Foreign Minister, addressing a meeting of the Tsomet Party, Agence France Presse, Nov. 15, 1998.
And what the guy said above me too*
There sure seems to be a lot of scandelous quotes that allegedly came from "a meeting of militants from the extreme right-wing Tsomet Party" reported by Agence France Presse (on November 15, 1998). Has anyone bothered to subscribe to AFP and verify this? Lazarus 19:02, 6 October 2009 (UTC)
Wikiquote no longer allows unsourced quotations, and they are in process of being removed from our pages (see Wikiquote:Limits on quotations); but if you can provide a reliable, precise and verifiable source for any quote on this list please move it to Ariel Sharon. --Antiquary 17:49, 12 August 2009 (UTC)
- ".ההתיישבות היהודית היא לא מכשול לשלום, ההתיישבות היהודית היא מכשול למלחמה"
- Translation: "The Jewish settlements are not a barrier to peace, the Jewish settlements are a barrier to war."
- ".מלחמת שלום הגליל היתה מהמוצדקות ביותר במלחמות ישראל"
- Translation: "Peace for Galilee's war was one of the most justified of Israel's wars."
- Source: TV interview, 1986?
- "I know I have been portrayed as a general looking for war. Many other headlines speak of that. That’s what people say. But I understand the importance of peace because I saw the horrors of war. That’s how I see it. I lost my best friends in battles — and I had to make decisions of life and death, of others and myself."
- "The right of the Jewish people to the Land of Israel does not mean disregarding the rights of others in the land. The Palestinians will always be our neighbors. We respect them and have no aspirations to rule over them. They are also entitled to freedom and to a national, sovereign existence in a state of their own." --In his UN Speech, September 18, 2005
- "Our desire for peace is strong enough to ensure that we will achieve it, if only our neighbors are genuine partners in this longed-for goal. If we succeed in working together we can transform our plot of land, which is dear to both peoples, from a land of contention to a land of peace – for our children and grandchildren." --In his UN Speech, September 18, 2005
- "I want to thank the Soviet Army for saving the Jews and the mankind in World War II." --during his visit to Moscow, September 5, 2001
Can anyone find a source of his famous quote from the six-day or maybe Yom kippur war? After conquering a lot of Egyptian territory, he supposedly jumped in a lake or river and said something among the lines: "We bathe in their water, we eat their fish!" At least this is how screenwriter John Milius quotes him.
Quotes about Ariel Sharon (unsourced)Edit
- "I believe Mr. Sharon to be a man of peace." --President George W. Bush speaking of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in a public news conference in 2003.