Seth Woodbury MacFarlane (born October 26, 1973) is an American actor, voice actor, animator, screenwriter, comedian, producer, director, and singer. He is the creator of the show Family Guy (1999–2002, 2005–present) and co-creator of American Dad! (2005–present) and The Cleveland Show (2009–2013), for which he also voices many of the show's various characters.
- Stay away from the church. In the battle over science vs. religion, science offers credible evidence for all the serious claims it makes. The church says, “Oh, it’s right here in this book, see? The one written by people who thought the sun was magic?” I for one would like to see some proof that there is a God. And if you say, “a baby’s smile,” I’m going to kick you right in the stomach.
- The 'Family' guy commences to Harvard, Entertainment Weekly, 13 June 2006.
- Why is it that Johnny Spaghetti Stain in fucking Georgia can knock a woman up, legally be married to her, and then beat the shit out of her, but these two intelligent, sophisticated writers who have been together for 20 years can’t get married? It’s infuriating and idiotic. I’m incredibly passionate about my support for the gay community and what they’re dealing with at this current point in time. I have arguments with people where I get red in the face, screaming at the top of my lungs.
- Read Oscar Host Seth MacFarlane's One and Only Gay Interview (From 2008), The Advocate, 25 January 2008.
- They’re literally terrible human beings. I’ve read their newsletter, I’ve visited their website, and they’re just rotten to the core. For an organization that prides itself on Christian values — I mean, I’m an atheist, so what do I know? — they spend their entire day hating people.
- Of PTC, quoted in Read Oscar Host Seth MacFarlane's One and Only Gay Interview (From 2008), The Advocate, 25 January 2008.
- The work of Carl Sagan has been a profound influence in my life, and the life of every individual who recognizes the importance of humanity's ongoing commitment to the exploration of our universe.
- Quoted in Seth MacFarlane donates Carl Sagan's papers to Library of Congress, Los Angeles Times, 28 June 2012.
- My thought is always, ‘It’s only downhill from here’. That’s how I’ve always operated, ever since I began Family Guy. I had the crippling fear that I used up all the funny last week. That crippling insecurity really drives you to do your best. Your moments of pure joy are few and far between, but they do exist.
- Seth Macfarlane: Interview With a Demented Genius, at the annual media leadership conference TheGrill, quoted in Oscar host Seth MacFarlane: 'Crippling insecurity drives you to do your best', Inside Movies, 2 October 2012.