1957 film by Joshua Logan
- Directed by Joshua Logan. Written by Paul Osborn, based on the eponymous 1954 novel by James Michener.
- And then she said, "I am not allowed to love. But I will love you if that is your desire . . ."taglines
- Hana-ogi: It is very difficult for Japanese women to speak in public. I have never done so, but, perhaps, now it is the time. Major Gruver has asked me to be his - his wife. He knows there are many people in his country who will be disturbed by this. I know my people will be shocked, too. But, I hope they will learn to understand and, someday, approve. We are not afraid because we know this is right. I hope I can continue as a dancer, and I hope when I am old, I will be able to teach children to dance. My own children.
- Reporter: Major? The big brass are gonna yell their heads off about this, and the Japanese aren't gonna like it much either. Have you got anything to say to them, sir?
- Major Lloyd "Ace" Gruver, USAF: Yeah. Tell 'em we said, "Sayonara."
- - And then she said, "I am not allowed to love. But I will love you if that is your desire . . ."
- THEY LIVE JAMES A. MICHENER'S STORY OF DEFIANT DESIRE.
- Marlon Brando - Major Lloyd "Ace" Gruver, USAF
- Patricia Owens - Eileen Webster
- James Garner - Captain Mike Bailey, USMC
- Martha Scott - Mrs. Webster
- Miiko Taka - Hana-ogi
- Miyoshi Umeki - Katsumi Kelly
- Red Buttons - Airman Joe Kelly
- Kent Smith - Lieutenant General Mark Webster
- Reiko Kuba - Fumiko
- Soo Yong - Teruko
- Ricardo Montalban - Nakamura