distilled alcoholic beverage made from sugarcane
- There's nought, no doubt, so much the spirit calms
As rum and true religion: thus it was.
- Lord Byron, Don Juan (1824)
- Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash.
- Winston Churchill, According to Churchill's assistant, Anthony Montague-Browne, Churchill had not coined this phrase, but wished he had.
- Fifteen men on the dead man's chest-Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!
- Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island (1883) Ch. 1, The Old Sea-dog at the Admiral Benbow.
- But why's the rum gone?.Oh. That's why.
- Hide the rum.
- I prefer rum... Rum's good.
- Making port, where we can get rum and sultry wenches... once every ten years.
- "Rum's not drinking, it's surviving!
- Romer Treece, in The Deep (1977)