Rio (2011 film)
Rio, often promoted as Rio: The Movie or The Rio Movie, is a 2011 American 3D computer-animated musical comedy film produced by Blue Sky Studios and directed by Carlos Saldanha. The title refers to the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro, where the film is set. The film features features the voices of Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway, will.i.am, Jamie Foxx, George Lopez, Tracy Morgan, Jemaine Clement, Leslie Mann, Rodrigo Santoro and Jake T. Austin. It tells the story of Blu, a male blue macaw who is taken to Rio de Janeiro to mate with a female, a free-spirited macaw, named Jewel. The two eventually fall in love, and together they have to escape from being smuggled by Nigel, a cockatoo. The theme song,Telling the World was sung by Taio Cruz.
20th Century Fox released the film on March 22, 2011 in Brazil, and on April 15, 2011 in the United States.
- [repeated line] Let's fly!
- Natural instincts [scoffs] There's nothing natural about being thrown halfway across a room. I'll show him.
- Maybe we could find a bus schedule or something?
- Not cool, man! Scary, but not cool!
- And you know what? I hate Zamba!
- Yippie-ki-yay, monkey-man!
- BIRDS VERSUS MONKEYS!
- Hey! that's a little too far.
- [to Blu] You think too much! Flying is not what you think up here, it's what you feel in here!
- I don't know how I got up here, but I ain't never coming down!
- This is the spit!
- [last lines of the film] I LOVE YOU, RIO!
- [singing] I'm a feathery freak with a beak, a bird murderer. You think you're badder than me? I never heard of you!
- I'm not interested in your nicked knick-knacks. Your burgled baubles bore me.
- Ah love, it's such a powerful and stupid thing
- Oh pity. Now we have two useless flightless birds.
- Stop your chirping and talk to me!
- Cheese and sprinkles.
- But Fernando, I trusted you!
- That's my big brave boy.
- We're doomed.
- It's just like riding a snowmobile!
- SQUACK, SQUACKETY, SQUACK, SQUACK! (F***, F***, F***, F***!) [gasps; covers her mouth, realizing what she said] I'm sorry, I didn't mean to curse.
- I don't understand. Silvyo was the best guard in the business.
- Besides he's got Jewel.
- Jewel: Is there anything else I need to know?
- Blu: Yes. I can't fly, I pick my beak, and once in a while I pee in the birdbath! Happy?
- Linda: You're right. It's not my fault. [She puts on her glasses and lashes out at Tulio] It's your fault!
- Tulio: What?
- Linda: With your little bird talk and that whole "saves the species." Well you know what? SQUAWK, SQUAWKETY, SQUAWK, SQUAWK!!! (F***, F*******, F***, F***!!!) [Realizes what she said; gasps; covers her mouth] I'm sorry, I didn't mean to curse.
- Jewel: [she and Blu are running away from Nigel] Aw, this is great. I'm chained to the only bird in the world who can't fly!
- Blu: Actually, there are 40 species of flightless birds.
- Jewel: [notices a crate] Duck!
- Blu: No, ducks can fly.
- Jewel: [Blu notices a crate] No, duck!
- Blu: You see, who needs flying?
- Jewel: Birds! Birds need flying. Flying is... is freedom, and... and not having to rely on anyone. Don't you want that?
- Blu: Hmm, I don't know. Sounds a little lonely.
- Blu: Yeah sounds great, it's not like we're just throwing ourselves off of a mountain... right?
- Rafael: Actually, that was pretty much my entire plan.
- Blu: What?!
- Rafael: Don't worry, Blu, it's in your DNA, and if our featherless friends can do it, how hard can it be?
- Man on glider: No, no, wait, wait! [screams] Mommy!
- Rafael: Fun, right?
- Blu: Yeah... fun.
- Mauro: You two are coming with me.
- Jewel: In your little monkey dreams. [spits on the ground]
- Blu: Yeah! [tries to spit too, but it sticks to his beak. He wipes it off.] That was meant for you.
- Rafael: Come on, can't we all just get along?
- Mauro: This isn't your fight, Big Nose!
- [The marmosets laugh, until one bird grabs Mauro's arm and glares at him.]
- Spoonbill: You mess with my friends, you mess with me.
- Other Birds: AND US!
- Pedro: Yeah, little King Kong! [The marmosets and birds have an intense stare-off]
- Little Green Bird: [panicky] I don't know what's going on here! [flies off]
- Pedro: [battle cry] Birds versus monkeys! [The birds charge in.]
- Linda: How do you know?
- Fernando: Because I'm... I'm the one who took them.
- Linda: You?!
- Fernando: I didn't mean to hurt anybody... I needed the money.
- Linda: But Fernando, I trusted you!
- Fernando: I know, but– [Before he can finish, Tipa and Armando enter]
- Rafael: [flying alongside the trolley, whispering to Blu] Down here! Just tell her, "You have beautiful eyes."
- Blu: That's good, great idea! [to Jewel; confidently] I have beautiful eyes.
- Jewel: Okay...
- Jewel: Whoa, whoa, wait. Luiz... is a bulldog?
- Luiz: You got something against dogs?
- Jewel: I do when they're drooling on me.
- Luiz: It's a medical condition.
- [As she is happily flying, Jewel notices Blu walking away sadly]
- Jewel: Hey, where you going? [Blu ignores her and keeps on walking] Blu? [Blu stops walking] Blu, what's wrong?
- Blu: Nothing. Everything's perfect. You'll be off to the rain forest. I'll be back with Linda. Just like we planned.
- Jewel: I...
- [Nico and Pedro fly down towards them]
- Nico: Hey, birds! Stop yapping and start flapping! Let's go!
- Jewel: I... I... I guess I thought maybe...
- Blu: What? That you...you'd come to Minnesota? [Jewel just looks at him] Great, I guess I... I'll knit you a scarf.
- Jewel: No, that's not what I meant.
- Blu: Look Jewel, I can't spend my life walking around following you wherever you're going.
- Jewel: Hey, it's not my fault you can't fly.
- Pedro: [to Nico as they watch Blu and Jewel] Awkward...
- Rafael: [to Blu and Jewel] Okay, okay. You know what? It's just good. Just clear the air. Just be completely honest with each other.
- Blu: You want honesty? [to Rafael and Jewel] Fine, fine, I can be honest. I don't belong here. In fact, I never wanted to even come here in the first place. [stammers] And... and... and you know what...? I hate samba! [Jewel and Rafael gasps and Nico starts crying into Pedro's wing]
- Pedro: Hey! That's a little too far.
- Nico: Make the mean bird take it back!
- Blu: Yeah, I said it. Every song sounds exactly the same! [sings] "Tico, taco ya-ya-ya. Tico, taco ya-ya-ya!" [groans] I'm "tico-taco" out of here.
- Jewel: [angrily] Fine! See you around, pet! [starts flying away from Blu]
- Rafael: No, no! Wait, wait, wait! Come back! You belong together. You are Juliet to his Romeo! Sure, they both die at the end, but you get my point! Oh, young love. Always so melodramatic. [to Nico and Pedro] All right, boys. Go after her. [starts flying to Blu] Blu, come back here, come on!
- Nigel: [catches Jewel as she is flying] Going somewhere, pretty bird?
- Jewel: Oh, yeah! I was just on my way to claw your eyes out! [punches Nigel in the face; Nico and Pedro see Nigel get a hold of Jewel]
- Nigel: Temper, temper. Now come along, my dear. We're going to a parade. And everybody loves a parade! [flies away with Jewel]
- Jewel: Let go of me!
- Pedro: [as he, along with Nico, watch Nigel take Jewel by force] Hey, get back here! Ain't nobody mess with a friend of Pedro. I ain't havin' it! It's on! [starts punching the air]
- Nico: What are you-- on?! Did you see the talons on that guy?!
- Pedro: Talons? Maybe, it's on... next time. [he and Nico turn and fly away]
- Pedro: RALFIEEEE!
- Nico: Blu, help!
- Pedro: Help! [Cut on Blu walking to Linda, while Rafael starts following him]
- Blu: Rafael, quit following me. You're going in the wrong direction. Isn't Carnaval that way?
- Rafael: I'm not going to Carnaval. No, I'm going home.
- Blu: But I thought you loved Carnaval.
- Rafael: I do, but I love my family much more, and that's a choice I made with this. [points to Blu's heart] ...Not with this. [points to Blu's head (or brain)]
- Join the party!
- Love at first fight
- Drool meets cool
- Party fowl
- If looks could kill
- 1 out of every 8 Americans is afraid of flying. Most of them don't have feathers.
- Jesse Eisenberg — Blu
- Anne Hathaway — Jewel
- George Lopez — Rafael
- will.i.am — Pedro
- Jamie Foxx — Nico
- Tracy Morgan — Luiz
- Jemaine Clement — Nigel
- Leslie Mann — Linda Gunderson
- Sofia Scarpa Saldanha — young Linda
- Rodrigo Santoro — Tulio Monteiro/Soccer Announcer
- Jake T. Austin — Fernando
- Bernardo de Paula — Sylvio/Kipo (voice)
- Wanda Sykes — Chole
- Jane Lynch — Alice
- Bebel Gilberto — Eva
- Thomas F. Wilson — Trapped Bird/Screaming Hang glider
- Tim Nordquist — Other Hang Glider
- Cindy Slattery — Neurotic Bird
- Jeffrey Garcia — Tipa/Bat
- Karen Disher — Mother Bird
- Francisco Ramos — Lead Marmoset
- Miriam Wallen as Green Bird
- Justine Warwick as Scaredy Bird
- Carlos Ponce — Marcel
- Davi Vieira — Armando
- Phil Miler — Avary intern/Waiter
- Carlos Saldanha — 2nd Waiter
- Renato D'Angelo — Policeman
- Kelly Keaton — Bookstore Customer/Lady Tourist
- Judah Friedlander — Tourist
- Ester Dean — Boy in Gondola
- Carlos de Oliveira — Gate Guard
- Sergio Mendes — Samba School Director
- Jason Fricchione — Truck driver