1984 American war film
- [While giving guns to newly freed prisoners] C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
Lieutenant Colonel Andrew TannerEdit
- You think you're tough for eating beans every day? There's half a million scarecrows in Denver who'd give anything for one mouthful of what you got. They've been under siege for about three months. They live on rats and sawdust bread and sometimes... on each other. At night, the pyres for the dead light up the sky. It's medieval.
Strelnikov, a counter-insurgency expert, is brought in to deal with the Wolverines, and gives a lecture to the assembled Russo-Cuban town garrison criticizing their handling of the situation:
- "What I despise most about warfare, is the hypocrisy if often breeds. I've heard euphemisms that we are 'containing the enemy', that our 'sector of pacification is growing'. These are the tactics of the lie. Lies have the stench of death and defeat. You can only win a war by exterminating the enemy!
Do you know who we are fighting? We are fighting Wolverines: small, ferocious animals. For them, you need a hunter. And you know, I am a hunter.
From this moment on, there will be no further reprisals against civilians. This was stupid. Impotence. Comrades, if a fox stole your chickens, would you slaughter your pig because he saw the fox? No! You would hunt down the fox, find where it lives and destroy it! How do we do this? Become a fox."
- [The Eckerts head to the mountains with some friends]
- Jed Eckert: Matt and I have been coming up to these mountains with our dad our whole lives. We can hunt, we can fish, we can stay up here a long, long time.
- Robert: How long, Jed?
- Jed Eckert: [indicating the jets above them] Until we don't hear that no more.
- [During the evening battle, when a KGB Major approaches Col. Bella]
- KGB Major: Do you want to see me?
- Colonel Bella: Yes ... yes. Go to the sporting goods store. From the files obtain forms 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons, and lists of private ownership.
- [When Colonel Tanner is first found]
- Erica Mason: You American?
- Col. Andrew Tanner: [Indicating the American flag on his flight suit] Red-blooded.
- Mason: What's the capital of Texas?
- Tanner: Austin.
- Mason: [proceeds to kick Col. Tanner] Wrong, commie; it's Houston!
- Tanner: Easy, darlin'! I'm cold... and you've seen too many movies!
- [Robert is scratching tally marks for communist soldiers he has killed on his AK when Colonel Tanner passes by]
- Col. Andy Tanner: All that hate is gonna burn you up kid.
- Robert Morris: It keeps me warm.
- [Col. Tanner explains the global situation]
- Matt Eckert: What about Europe?
- Col. Andrew Tanner: I guess they figured twice in one century was enough. They're sitting this one out. All except England, and they won't last very long.
- Eckert: Well, who is on our side?
- Tanner: Six hundred million screamin' Chinamen.
- Darryl Bates: Well, last I heard, there were a billion screamin' Chinamen.
- Tanner: There were. [throws whiskey into fire, and it violently ignites for a moment, possibly signifying a Soviet nuclear strike on China]
- [The gang prepares to kill a Soviet Spetsnaz commando and their friend, Daryl Bates, who was forced to swallow a homing device that led the Spetsnaz to them]
- Jed Eckert: Do you want blindfolds?
- Stepan Gorsky: This violates the Geneva Convention!
- Eckert: I never heard of it!
- Gorsky: Dogface! I show you how Soviet dies.
- Morris: I've seen it before, pal.
- Danny: This isn't happening! Jed, let him go! He was one of us!
- Jed Eckert: Shut up, Danny! Shut up!
- Robert: He told them where we were!
- Jed Eckert: He did. Now get your rifles.
- Matt Eckert: No!
- Jed: WHAT DID YOU SAY?
- Matt: We're not doing it!
- Gorsky: [to Daryl] Boy, say at me you are friend, so I will not die alone.
- Matt: What's the difference, Jed?
- Robert: I'll do it.
- Matt: Shut up, Robert! [to Jed] Tell me what's the difference between us and them!
- Jed: Because ... we live here!! [kills Gorsky and when he hesitates with Daryl, Robert kills him]
- Patrick Swayze - Jed Eckert
- C. Thomas Howell - Robert Morris
- Lea Thompson - Erica Mason
- Charlie Sheen - Matt Eckert
- Darren Dalton - Daryl Bates
- Jennifer Grey - Toni Mason
- Brad Savage - Danny Bates
- Doug Toby - Arturo "Aardvark" Mondragon
- Powers Boothe - Lt. Col. Andrew "Andy" Tanner, USAF
- Ben Johnson - Mr. Jack Mason
- Harry Dean Stanton - Tom Eckert
- Ron O'Neal - Colonel Ernesto Bella
- William Smith - Colonel Strelnikov
- Vladek Sheybal - General Bratchenko
- Frank McRae - Mr. Teasdale
- Roy Jenson - Mr. Samuel Morris
- Pepe Serna - Mr. Mondragón
- Lane Smith - Mayor Bates
- Judd Omen - Nicaraguan Captain
- Radames Pera - Sgt. Stepan Gorsky