Rambo: First Blood Part II
1985 American action film directed by George P. Cosmatos
- Directed by George Cosmatos. Screenplay by Sylvester Stallone and James Cameron (director) from a story by Kevin Jarre.
They sent him on a mission and set him up to fail. But they made one mistake. They forgot they were dealing with Rambo.taglines
- Sir, do we get to win this time?
- [miffed at Murdock's doubts about Rambo] Pressure? Let me just say that Rambo is the best combat vet I've ever seen. A pure fighting machine with only a desire - to win a war that someone else lost. And if winning means he has to die - he'll die. No fear, no regrets. And one more thing, what you choose to call hell, he calls home.
- [Col. Trautman sees off Rambo]
- Trautman: Good luck son.
- Rambo: Murdock said he was with 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marines at Kon Tum in '66.
- Trautman: Yeah.
- Rambo: The 2nd Battalion was at Kud Sank. You're the only one I trust. [gets aboard plane]
- Rambo: To survive a war, you gotta become war.
- Co-Bao: That why they pick you? Because you like to fight?
- Rambo: Nah... I'm expendable.
- Co: Expendable... What mean expendable?
- Rambo: It's like... someone... invites you to a party, and you don't show up; doesn't really matter.
- Rambo: [points to Co's necklace] What is this?
- Co-Bao: It bring me good luck. What bring you luck?
- Rambo: [holds up his combat knife; Co stares at it in shock and surprise] I guess this.
- [Col. Trautman's angry over the decision to leave Rambo and the truth about his mission]
- Murdock: Oh Trautman, I still don't think you understand what this is all about.
- Trautman: The same as it always is! Money! In '72 we were supposed to pay the Cong four-and-a-half billion in war reparations. We reneged, they kept the POWs... and you're doing the same thing all over again.
- Murdock: And what the hell would you do, Trautman? Pay blackmail money to ransom our own men and finance the war effort against our allies? What if some burn-out POW shows up on the six o-clock news? What do you want to do... start the war all over again? You wanna bomb Hanoi? You want everybody screaming for armed invasion? Do you honestly think somebody's gonna get up on the floor of the United States Senate, and ask for billions of dollars for a couple of forgotten ghosts?
- Trautman: Men, Goddamn it! Men... who fought for their country!
- Murdock: That's enough! Trautman, I'm gonna forget this conversation ever took place.
- Trautman: You bastard!
- Murdock: And if I were you... I'd never make the mistake of bringing this subject up again.
- Trautman: Oh, you're the one who's making the mistake.
- Murdock: Yeah? What mistake?
- Trautman: Rambo.
- Murdock: Rambo, I didn't make the orders, I take them, just like you. [Rambo takes his knife out of his scabbard] I swear to God, I didn't know it was supposed to happen like this. It was just supposed to be another assignment!
- Rambo: Mission... accomplished. [grabs Murdock by the neck, pinning him to his own desk; drives his combat knife into the desk right next to Murdock's head] You know there's more men out there, you know where they are. Find 'em, or I'll find you.
- [Col. Trautman sees Rambo leave the ops center and walking away]
- Col. Trautman: John, where are you going?
- Rambo: I don't know.
- Trautman: You'll get a second Medal of Honor for this.
- Rambo: [looks over at rescued POWs, one of whom salutes him] You should give it to them. They deserve it more.
- Trautman: You can't keep running John, you're free now. Go back with us.
- Rambo: Back to what? My friends died here. Part of me died here.
- Trautman: The war, everything that happened here may have been wrong, but dammit, don't hate your country for it!
- Rambo: [stops and looks at him] Hate it? I'd die for it!
- Trautman: Then what is it you want?
- Rambo: I want...what they want, and every other guy who came over here, and spilt his guts and gave everything he had.. wants... for our country to love us...as much as we love it. That's what I want.
- Trautman: How will you live, John?
- Rambo: Day by day. [leaves him]
- What most people call hell, he calls home.
- They sent him on a mission and set him up to fail, but they made one mistake. They forgot who they were dealing with: Rambo.
- No man, no law, no war can stop him.