QOTD by month
<– Last Month · This Month –>
- I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. ~ Martin Luther King
Initially QOTD selections would often remain unchanged for several days, but since 2 February 2004, they have always been changed on a daily basis. Since June 2005, QOTD proposals have been made at pages for each month which have sections for each date, and final selections usually reflect the result of rankings made there.
Any registered user is invited to make proposals, or to rank each candidate on these pages:
- January - February - March - April - May - June - July - August - September - October - November - December
Images began to be used in association with QOTDs on 27 January 2008:
"In that direction," the Cat said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Hatter: and in that direction," waving the other paw, "lives a March Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."
- January (images as well as sound files begin to be used on 27 January)
- June (last sound file used on 17 June, images continue to be used)
- February (3 February — controversial accusations and assertions threatened further use of images on the main page; further use of images at least temporarily suspended by long term editor here, out of disgust and contempt at the opposition to free expression, the apparent malice and clear presumptuousness of acts of censorship, as well as the hostilities, apathy or indifference of others involved in this project.)
- March (first month since January 2008 to begin without images accompanying QOTD)
- March (in this month, images begin to be used again with the quotes)
Abandoned experiment in creating sound filesEdit
- At the suggestions of several users, sound files began to be created for QOTDs on 1 November 2007. After a period of low interest and increasing indications of disapproval by a few, the experiment in creating sound files for QOTD was abandoned in June 2008.
The first sound file, created for use on 1 November 2007:
You cannot choose your battlefield,
God does that for you;
But you can plant a standard
Where a standard never flew.
~ Nathalia Crane ~
The first sound file actually used on the main page was for 3 November 2007:
- Man's right to know, to learn, to inquire, to make bona fide errors, to investigate human emotions must, by all means, be safe, if the word FREEDOM should ever be more than an empty political slogan. ~ Wilhelm Reich
The last sound file created for use with a QOTD was created and used on 17 June 2008:
|Our security strategies have not yet caught up with the risks we are facing. The globalization that has swept away the barriers to the movement of goods, ideas and people has also swept with it barriers that confined and localized security threats. ~ Mohamed ElBaradei|