practice of putting something off for lack of will to do it
Procrastination refers to the deferment of actions or tasks to a later time.
- I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
- Douglas Adams,The Salmon of Doubt (2002)
- God has promised forgiveness to your repentance; but He has not promised to-morrow to your procrastination.
- Augustine of Hippo, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 486.
- The truth is that we live out our lives putting off all that can be put off; perhaps we all know deep down that we are immortal and that sooner or later all men will do and know all things.
- Jorge Luis Borges, "Funes El Memorioso"] (Funes the Memorious), in Ficciones (1944); also published in Labyrinths (1964)
- Delay always breeds danger; and to protract a great design is often to ruin it.
- Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quixote de la Mancha (1605-1615), Pt. I, Bk. IV, Ch. 2
- Faith in to-morrow instead of Christ, is Satan's nurse for man's perdition.
- George B. Cheever, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 486.
- If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination.
- Thomas de Quincey,"Murder Considered as One of the Fine Arts", in Blackwood's Magazine, November 1839
- procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday
- Don Marquis, archy and mehitabel (1927), "certain maxims of archy"
- Life, as it is called, is for most of us one long postponement.
- Henry Miller, The Wisdom of the Heart (1947), "The Enormous Womb"
- Do you want to learn holiness with terrible struggles and sore affliction and the plague of much remaining evil? Then wait before you turn to God.
- Frederick William Robertson, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 486.
- Procrastination is the soul rebelling against entrapment.
- Nassim N. Taleb, The Bed of Procrustes: Philosophical and Practical Aphorisms (2010), p. 8
- Procrastination is the thief of time.
- Edward Young, Night Thoughts (1742-1745), Night 1, Line 393