Pranab Mukherjee (born 11 December 1935) was the 13th President of India, in office since July 2012 to 2017. In a political career spanning six decades, Mukherjee was a senior leader of the Indian National Congress and occupied several ministerial portfolios in the Government of India. Prior to his election as President, Mukherjee was Union Finance Minister from 2009 to 2012, and the Congress party's top troubleshooter.
- Hearty congratulations to the King and Queen of Bhutan on the birth of a baby boy
- Twitter Post on Bhutan's Queen giving birth to a baby boy, quoted on India.com (February 7, 2016), "President Pranab Mukherjee congratulates Bhutan Royal couple on birth of baby boy"
- India must assist other countries such as Pakistan, Nigeria and Afghanistan in their fight against this diseas in improving their health systems and infrastructure.
- Referring to Polio, Quoted on The Economics Times - India, "India should help other countries to eradicate polio: Pranab Mukherjee", March 29, 2014.
- Belying the prophecies of doom by many a self-styled Cassandra, the economy has emerged stronger as a result of adjustment effort mounted by us...; We have not cut subsidies. We have not cut wages. We have not compromised on planning... We have not faltered in our commitment to anti-poverty programmes... We have come out of it with our heads high.
- 1984 Budget speech, Quoted on BBC News, "Pranab Mukherjee's chequered career", June 26, 2012.
- Though IIPA has done commendable work, there is much more that can be done to increase the importance as a catalyst for change in public administration. It (IIPA) should also make ethical governance the central focus in its training calendar. It only implies that there should be no undue delay in decision-making and delivery of services. The absence of good governance has been identified as the root cause of many of the societal shortcomings.
- Quoted on India Today, "President Pranab Mukherjee says people won't tolerate poor governance", March 30, 2014.
- Science, education, research and innovation are the four pillars on which the development as well as the work culture of a nation rests. Scientific temperament cannot happen unless we improve the delivery of education at all levels. The government [India] has announced the Science, Technology and Innovation Policy. One of the key elements of the policy is to position India among the top five global scientific powers by 2020.
- Quoted on The Kerala, "Quality of education needs improvement: Pranab Mukherjee", April 3, 2014.
- The road to our country's development will, therefore, depend on the progress of our states. Yet, they have to have a national vision; Unless they are firm in their resolve, our country would not be able to reach its rightful place in the comity of nations. India's federal structure is a basic feature of our constitution... (It) represents unity in diversity. While performing their duties, civil servants would have to respect this aspect.
- Quoted on Sify News, "India's development depends on its states: President", April 4, 2014.
- My heartiest congratulations to you and your entire team at the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) for the successful launch of PSLV-C24, carrying the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS)-1B. The launch of PSLV-C24, with IRNSS-1B marks an important landmark in our space programme and demonstrates, yet again, India's capabilities in space launch technology. The nation will immensely benefit from the applications of IRNSS which include terrestrial, aerial and marine navigation, disaster management, vehicle tracking and fleet management etc. Kindly convey my greetings to the members of your team of scientists, engineers, technologists and all others associated with this great mission. Our nation is grateful for their hard work and proud of their accomplishments.
- Quoted on Yahoo News! India, "Pranab Mukherjee congratulates ISRO for successful launch of PSLV-C24", April 4, 2014.