Pennsylvania, officially the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, is a state in the Northeastern, Great Lakes, Appalachian, and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States.
The state is one of the 13 original founding states of the United States; it came into being in 1681 as a result of a royal land grant to William Penn, the son of the state's namesake. Part of Pennsylvania (along the Delaware River), together with the present State of Delaware, had earlier been organized as the Colony of New Sweden. It was the second state to ratify the United States Constitution, on December 12, 1787. Independence Hall, where the United States Declaration of Independence and United States Constitution were drafted, is located in Philadelphia, the state's largest city. Valley Forge near Philadelphia was General Washington's headquarters during the bitter winter of 1777–78. During the American Civil War, the Battle of Gettysburg was fought in the south central region of the state.
|This geography-related article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I met a man who lives in Tennessee and he was headed for Pennsylvania and some homemade pumpkin pie. From Pennsylvania, folks are traveling down to Dixie's sunny shore.
- Perry Como, "Home for the Holidays" (1954), RCA Victor
- Do I hear you say you offered your services to Pennsylvania and you were refused? I know it, but what of that? The State is not more than the nation. The greater includes the lesser. Because the State refuses, you should all the more readily turn to the United States. When the children fall out, they should refer their quarrel to the parent.
- Frederick Douglass, "Should the Negro Enlist in the Union Army?", National Hall, Philadelphia (6 July 1863); published in Douglass' Monthly, August 1863
- The number of ballots that our Campaign is challenging in the Pennsylvania case is FAR LARGER than the 81,000 vote margin. It’s not even close. Fraud and illegality ARE a big part of the case. Documents being completed. We will appeal!
- Donald Trump via Twitter posted November 7, 2020
- Encyclopedic article on Pennsylvania on Wikipedia