brand name of an Austrian candy and associated mechanical candy dispensers
PEZ is the shortened name of PEZ Candy Inc. It is also the name of two of its product categories, namely:
- pressed, dry candies, straight-edged and shaped like 3/8-inch- (1-cm-) long bricks, and
- pocket mechanical dispensers for such candy.
The name "PEZ" was derived from the German word for peppermint, Pfefferminz, the first PEZ flavor.
- If I could only have one food for the rest of my life? That's easy. PEZ. Cherry flavor PEZ. There's no doubt about it.
- Vern Tessio, Stand by Me (1986)
- She doesn't quite chop his head off. She makes a PEZ dispenser out of him.
- Dwight, Sin City (2005)
- Jerry: So he starts to get up. He spots the PEZ dispenser on the coffee table.
- George: Ah, ah, PEZ dispenser.
- Jerry: He picks it up… he stares at it… It's like he's hypnotized by it. Then he's telling us this story about how when he was a kid he was in the car with his father, and his father was trying to load one of them.
- George: Well, they're hard to load.
- Jerry: Tell me something I don't know. So as the father's trying to load it, he loses control of the car and it crashes into a high school cafeteria. Nobody's hurt, but PEZ is all over the car. And the dispenser was destroyed virtually beyond recognition.
- George: Poor kid.
- Jerry: So as he's telling the story, he starts crying.
- George: What did you do?
- Jerry: What do you think? I gave him my PEZ dispenser.
- George: Wow.
- Jerry: Two hours later he checks into Smither's clinic. I talked to the doctor yesterday. He's doing great on the rehab. He's hooked on PEZ. He's eating them like there's no tomorrow.
- Seinfeld, "The PEZ Dispenser" [3.14], January 15, 1992