Metal Gear is a series of video games by Konami Computer Entertainment. The Metal Gear series centers around Solid Snake, a genetically engineered soldier. As a member of an elite task force FOXHOUND, Snake penetrated and destroyed several terrorist organizations, including one led by Big Boss, his genetic father.
Further adventures involve his disarming a nuclear crisis on a remote island in Alaska (and killing his genetic brother in doing so), and helping, as a part of his NGO, Philanthropy, to document and eradicate Metal Gears, including Arsenal Gear, a supercenter for information and warfare built in the New York Harbor by the Patriots.
- Big Boss: Solid Snake! I've been expecting you... I am the supreme commander of the FOXHOUND unit... And... The leader of the fortress of Outer Heaven, Big Boss! I gave this mission to you, a rookie, thinking I could use you to fool the rest of the world... But you were too good. You went too far! Solid Snake! I'm not going down alone. I'm taking you with me! Prepare to die!
- Solid Snake: This is Solid Snake... Metal Gear has been destroyed. Operation Intrude N313 was a success! No big deal, job done, that's all... No big deal... I'm coming back now... OVER
- Big Boss: ...can you hear me? Solid Snake... I'm not dead... Someday, I'll get even with you. Someday... we will meet again!
- [Intro text]
Lt. Snake, we received information from our intelligence man at the enemy's base. They have a weapon. Is it Metal Gear, which you destroyed 3 years ago? Go to the enemy base with 2 men. The pilot knows the route.
- Big Boss: You destroyed Metal Gear 1 and made me a cyborg. Now I want revenge.
- Big Boss: The nightmares? They never go away, Snake. Once you've been on the battlefield, tasted the exhilaration, the tension... it all becomes part of you. Once you've awakened the warrior within... it never sleeps again. You crave ever bigger tensions, ever bigger thrills. As a mercenary, I'd think you would have realized that by now. You care nothing for power, or money, or even sex. The only thing that satisfies your cravings is war! All I've done is give you a place for it. I've given you a reason to live.
- Naomi Hunter: Genes exist to pass down our hopes and dreams for the future through our children. Living is a link to the future. That's how all life works. Loving each other, teaching each other... that's how we can change the world. I finally realized it. The true meaning of life...
- Gray Fox / Frank Jaeger: We're not tools of the government or anyone else! Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at, but... At least I always fought for what I believed in...
- Otacon / Hal Emmerich: The whole reason I got into science in the first place was because I was no good with people. I was scared of them. I was scared of life. I thought that I could never understand them because they're so illogical. But I've finally learned how to like people. I'm not afraid anymore.
- Solid Snake: Life isn't just about passing on your genes. We can leave behind much more than just DNA. Through speech, music, literature and movies...what we've seen, heard, felt...anger, joy and sorrow...these are the things I will pass on. That's what I live for. We need to pass the torch, and let our children read our messy and sad history by its light.We have all the magic of the digital age to do that with. The human race will probably come to an end some time, and new species may rule over this planet. Earth may not be forever, but we still have the responsibility to leave what traces of life we can. Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing.
- Solidus Snake/George Sears: Jack, listen to me. We're all born with an expiration date. No one lasts forever. Life is nothing but a grace period - for turning our genetic material into the next generation. The data of life is transferred from parent to child. That's how it works. But we have no heirs, no legacy. Cloned from our father, with the ability to reproduce conveniently engineered out. What is our legacy if we cannot pass the torch? Proof of our existence - a mark of some sort. When the torch is passed on from parent to child... it extends beyond DNA; information is imparted as well. All I want is to be remembered. By other people, by history. The Patriots are trying to protect their power, their own interests, by controlling the digital flow of information. I want my memory, my existence to remain. Unlike an intron of history, I will be remembered as an exon. That will be my legacy, my mark on history. But the Patriots would deny us even that, I will triumph over the Patriots, and liberate us all. And we will become the "Sons of Liberty"!
- Otacon: Snake, you there? It's me. I've finished going over that disc.
- Snake: Did you find the Patriots' list?
- Otacon: Of course. It contains the personal data of 12 people. There was a name on it—Snake, it was one of our biggest contributors.
- Snake: What's going on around here?
- Otacon: I don't know...
- Snake: ...Anyway, where are they?
- Otacon: Well, we were right about them being on Manhattan, but...
- Snake: But what?
- Otacon: They're already dead. All 12 of them.
- Snake: When did it happen?
- Otacon: Well, ah... about a hundred years ago.
- Snake: What the hell...
- The Boss: What about you, Jack? What's it going to be? Loyalty to your country, or loyalty to me? Your country, or your old mentor? The mission, or your beliefs? Your duty to your unit, or your personal feelings? You don't know the truth yet. But sooner or later you'll have to choose.
- [EVA explains herself in audiotape to Snake]
- EVA: Snake, listen to me. She didn't betray the United States. No, far from it. She was a hero who died for her country. She carried out her mission knowing full well what was going to happen. Self-sacrifice... because that was her duty.
- [Snake is being honoured at the White House]
- Lyndon B. Johnson: You are above even the Boss... I hereby award you the title of Big Boss. You are a true patriot. [Snake shakes Johnson's hand and walks out, past army officials and his team, without fanfare]
- Unnamed bureaucrat: You know, we could use an infiltration unit like FOX in the army. Someone like him to handle our top-secret sneaking missions for us: a man who combines the qualities of a soldier and an agent.
- EVA: The Boss' defection was a ruse set up by the US government. It was all a big drama staged by Washington so they could get their hands on the Philosopher's Legacy, and the Boss was the star of the show. They planned it so that they could get the Legacy that Colonel Volgin inherited and destroy the Shagohod at the same time. Only a legendary hero like The Boss could have earned Volgin's trust. Finding out where the Philosopher's Legacy was hidden was to be her greatest mission. Everything was going according to plan... but then something happened that no one could have predicted. Colonel Volgin fired an American-made nuclear warhead at Sokolov's research facility. Khrushchev demanded that the US government provide proof that it wasn't involved. They couldn't just abort the operation to steal the Legacy, so the operation itself was greatly expanded and revised. The authorities in Washington knew that in order to prove its innocence they'd have to get rid of The Boss and that one of their own would have to do the job. The public couldn't be allowed to find out about it, not ever. This, they concluded, would be the best way to keep the whole thing under wraps. The Boss wouldn't be allowed to come back home alive. And she wouldn't be allowed to kill herself. Her life would be ended by her most beloved disciple... that was the way the government wanted it. That was the mission she was given. And she had no choice but to carry it out... her death at your hands was a duty she had to fulfill. Out of duty, she turned her back on her own comrades. A lesser woman would have been crushed by such a burden. [Snake walks through a cemetery with a bunch of flowers] The taint of disgrace will follow her to her grave. Future generations will revile her: In America, as a despicable traitor with no sense of honor; and in Russia, as a monster who unleashed a nuclear catastrophe. She will go down in official history as a war criminal, and no one will ever understand her... that was her final mission. And like a true soldier, she saw it through the end. But I think she wanted you, of all people to know the truth. She wanted to live on in your memory. Not as a soldier, but as a woman. But... she was forbidden to tell you herself. And that's why she told me. [Snake puts his flowers and the Patriot by a headstone marked "In memory of a patriot who saved the world: 192?-1964"] Snake, history will never know what she did. No one will ever learn the truth. Her story, her debriefing... will endure only in your heart. [tearfully] Everything she did, she did for her country. She sacrificed her life and her honor for her native land. She was a real hero. She was a true patriot. [A tearful Snake salutes the headstone].
- Old Snake: War has changed.(GRUMBLING) It's no longer about nations, ideologies or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by mercenaries and machines. War, and its consumption of life, has become a well-oiled machine. War has changed. ID tagged soldiers carry ID tagged weapons, use ID tagged gear. Nanomachines inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Genetic control. Information control. Emotion control. Battlefield control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. War has changed. The age of deterrence has become the age of control. All in the name of averting catastrophe from weapons of mass destruction. And he who controls the battlefield, controls history. War has changed. When the battlefield is under total control, war... becomes routine.
- Liquid Ocelot: This is only the beginning, Snake. America will descend into chaos... It'll be the Wild West all over again. No law, no order. Fire will spread across the world. The people will fight... and through battle, they will know the fullness of life. At last... our father's will... his Outer Heaven... is complete.
- Big Boss: Everything has its beginning. But doesn't start at "one." It starts long before that, in chaos. The world is born... from zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes two, two becomes ten, ten becomes 100. Taking it all back to one solves nothing. So long as Zero remains, one... will eventually grow to 100 again. And so our goal was to erase Zero. Even the mighty Patriots began with a single man. That one man's desires grew huge, bloated; absorbed technology; began to manipulate the economy. We realized too late that we had created a beast. We had helped turn Zero into 100. His sin... was ours. And for that reason, I'm taking it upon myself to send Zero... back to nothing. [...] It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world the way it is. It's about respecting the will of others and believing in your own. [...] Zero and I... Liquid and Solidus... We all fought a long, bloody war for our liberty to free ourselves from systems, nations, norms and ages, but no matter how hard we fought, the only liberty we found was on the inside, trapped within those limits... The Boss and I may have taken different paths but in the end, we were both trapped inside the same cage... "Liberty." But you have been given freedom. Freedom to be... Outside.
- Naked Snake/Big Boss It was four years ago, in Mozambique. There was a child soldier fighting with a guerrilla group in the struggle for independence. He killed dozens of government soldiers with just a single knife. He'd throw the enemy off guard with the innocent frankness of a young boy. Then he'd prey on them with the cold cruelty of a hunter. He spoke a little German so his enemies called him, "Frank Jaeger"... the frank hunter.
- [Gene addresses soldiers]
- Gene: Soldiers, hear my words! The Cold War will soon be over. For the United States and the Soviet Union no longer have the strength or authority to shape the world as they seem fit. Even as America sinks deeper into the quagmire of the Vietnam War, her allies in the West have achieved tremendous economic growth. And with the collapse of its planned economy, Russia can no longer keep up with the financial demands of her vast army. But the end of the Cold War does not mean that peace will follow. Freed from the domination of the world's superpowers, nationalism will soon be the driving force behind global politics. And the ever-widening gap between rich and poor will fan the flames of hatred between nations. Nuclear weapons will slip from the superpowers' grasp and spread throughout the world. Soon no one will know when or where the nukes will come from. Today's ally may be tomorrow's bitter enemy. Or worse: the time may come when soldiers of the same country will kill their brothers, just like you are now. Who of you can say that tomorrow you won't be aiming your rifles at your neighbors? Your comrades? Your families? Is there no one who has a grudge against you? No one who mocks you? No one who really needs you? Is there truly no one out there who would kill you? One of my men is standing amongst you right now. His instructions are to kill you - for your betrayal. Your enemy is standing right beside you. [points at individual soldiers] Is it you?... Or perhaps you?... This planet is like a giant bomb. See how easily it blows itself to bits with a single nuclear warhead. Or rather, a single bullet. [laughs] There he is... It's the enemy!
- Null: Why are you still alive? I used to get dreams, about my comrades. They would save me with strong arms and laughing voices. When I woke up from these dreams, I had nothing. No joy, no sorrow, no hatred, no memory. When I woke up from the darkness, all I saw were the bodies of men I've killed, lying in front of me. I know. Everyone dies. Crime. Disease. Accidents. War. No matter how good a man you are, no matter how good a soldier, there are no exceptions. Even if I don't kill them, they die. This world is full of death and yet you won't be killed. Why? Why do you still live? What do you hope to accomplish by living?
- Snake/Big Boss: [to Paz] No offense, but I don't know what peace is.
- Snake/Big Boss: [to Amanda] There's always another reason to keep on living.
- Snake/Big Boss: Chico, growing up means choosing how you're gonna live your life. [...] Treasure your memories, Chico. No matter what happens, keep them safe. [...] Nothing to be ashamed of. Pain gets the better of us all. [...] Remember, real heroes are never as polished as the legends that surround them.
- Senator Armstrong: Played college ball, ya know.
Raiden: At some cushy Ivy League school.
Senator Armstrong: [Headbutts Raiden and pulls his visor off] Try University of Texas. Coulda gone pro if I hadn't joined the Navy! I'm not one of those beltway pansies. I could break the president in two… with my bare hands. Don't fuck with this senator!
[He kicks Raiden into the air like a football, cueing inexplicable cheering in the background]
- Senator Armstrong: [To Raiden] Alright...the truth, then. You're right about one thing -- I do need Capital, And Votes! Wanna know why?! "I have a dream"!
Senator Armstrong: That one day, every person in this nation will control their own destiny! A land of the truly free dammit! A nation of action not words -- ruled by strength not committee! Where the law changes to suit the individual, not the other way around! Where power and justice are in back where they belong, in the hands of the people! Where every man is free -- to think --to act -- For himself! Fuck all these limp-dick lawyers, and these chicken shit bureaucrats! Fuck this 24/7 internet spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit! Fuck American Pride -- fuck the media -- Fuck - all of it! America is diseased -- rotten to the core...there's no saving it... We need to pull it out by the roots! Wipe the slate clean -- burn it down! And from the ashes a new America will be born! Evolved but unchained! The weak will be purged -- and the strongest will thrive -- free to live as they see fit! They'll make America great again!
Raiden: What the hell are you talking about...
Senator Armstrong: You still don't get it! I'm using war as a business to get elected! So I can end war as a business...In my new America, people will die and kill...for what they believe! Not for money -- Not for oil -- Not for what they're told is right! Every man will be free to fight his own wars! Hah...so, what do you think?..
Raiden: How the hell did you get elected...
Senator Armstrong: Well, I don't write my own speeches. You should try fighting for what you believe in sometime, Jack. Not for a company, or a nation, or for anyone else.
Raiden: Maybe I was wrong about you...
Senator Armstrong: Am I finally getting through? [Helps Raiden up, offers his hand] I'll rid this world of pointless wars, Jack.
Raiden: I was wrong. You're not greedy-
[Shakes Armstrong's hand, moves in close.]
Raiden: YOU'RE BATSHIT INSANE! (Commence boss battle)
Metal Gear Solid VEdit
- Kazuhira Miller: [fuming at the IAEA inspection] THEY PLAYED US LIKE A DAMN FIDDLE!
Venom Snake: [Holding urn with Diamond Dogs Member's ashes] I won't scatter your sorrow to the heartless sea. I will always be with you. Plant your roots in me. [Smears ashes on face] I won't see you end as ashes. You're all diamonds.
Skull Face: Such a lust for revenge... [drag away by XOF soldiers] WHO!?