Suggestion for another versionEdit
- You've followed a link to a page that doesn't exist yet.
- To create the page, start typing in the box below (see the help page for more info). Please see the guide if this is your first article.
- Please note that Wikiquote articles should contain quotations. To contribute encyclopedic information, like biography or discography, please go to the corresponding Wikipedia Newarticletext article and edit it instead.
If you are here by mistake, just click your browser's back button.
Copyright violation warning?Edit
I am wondering if we should include a bullet in this MediaWiki message that warns about copyright violations. I believe that many editors who come to Wikiquote to create an article from a copy of another site's quote article on the subject — especially for films and TV shows — don't bother to read any policies or use Wikiquote:Templates and its subpages, where we might present a bold warning, to start an article. Therefore, perhaps an effective way to slow down these obvious copyvios is to include a short, red statement in the bulleted list, like so:
- Do not just copy material from another website! This is known as a presentation copyright violation (even if the material isn't original with the site), and is subject to immediate removal or deletion.
Shorter would probably be better, but I'd want to try to keep editors from convincing themselves that the warning doesn't apply to them without at least checking out the link to WQ:COPY, which should also include a section about "presentation copyrights" that explains why such website copying is never a good idea.
- I am all for this addition, Jeff. The problem seems to be on the rise and anything that could possibly discourage copying would be welcomed. Although I'm sure we'll still see it from those that do not read the warning, it is definitely better than nothing. ~ UDScott 13:19, 17 August 2007 (UTC)