Marley & Me (film)
Marley & Me is a 2008 American comedy-drama film about the titular dog, Marley. It was directed by David Frankel and the screenplay by Scott Frank and Don Roos is based on the memoir of the same name by John Grogan. The film was released in the United States and Canada on December 25, 2008, and set a record for the largest Christmas Day box office ever with $14.75 million in ticket sales.
John Grogan edit
- A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his.
Arnie Klein edit
- Sometimes life has a better idea.
- Tell your dog not to worry, sooner or later we all lose our balls.
- Jennifer Grogan: Hi, guys, alright, say hello to Colleen!
- Conor: Daddy says her name is "whoops!"
- John Grogan: A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?
- Jorge: Why are you laughing?
- Sebastian: I'm just very immature.
- Colleen: I made a picture of me and Marley, Mommy wrote what I said Dear Marley I'll never forget you forever and there's kisses and hugs.
- John Grogan: That's pretty, why don't you put it there?
- [on the blanket covering Marley]
- Conor: Dear Marley. I love you more than anything in the whole world, I hope you like heaven and have lots of things to chew on, your brother Connor Richard Grogan.
- John Grogan: That's a good one.
- Jennifer Grogan: Patrick, do you want to say something?
- Patrick: No. He knows.
- Jennifer Grogan: I want to give him something. [takes off her necklace, to John] Your dad gave me this to celebrate the beginning of our family, but our family had already begun. [to Marley] Goodbye, clearance puppy.
- Lisa: I told myself not to scream, but I screamed and he stabbed me.
- John Grogan: [checking the wound] It's not that bad, in all the drama, I didn't catch your name.
- Lisa: Lisa.
- John Grogan: Lisa, it's going to be okay, we're going to sit here with you and wait for the police to get here, it's going to be alright.
- Debby: There were 11 thunderstorms while you were gone, 11, you were right, he doesn't like them and just so you know, I am a dog person, but that is not a dog, that is evil with a dog face that humps my leg and is peeing on your carpet.
- Jennifer Grogan: Marley's not allowed to drink out of the toilet, you should just keep him out of the bathroom in general.
- John Grogan: [to Marley] You remember how we were always saying what a pain you are... that you're the world's worst dog? Don't believe it. Don't believe it even for a minute. 'Cause you know we couldn't find a better dog. You know what made you such a... great dog is you loved us every day, no matter what. That's an amazing thing. You know how much we love you? We love you so much. I love you more than anything. I don't know exactly where we go from here... but I want you to remember you're a great dog, Marley. You're a great dog.
- Jennifer Grogan: You're part of the plan.
- John Grogan: Oh yeah?
- Jennifer Grogan: My plan... Step 1: Meet an incredibly sweet, smart, sexy man.
- John Grogan: Done. Step 2?
- Jennifer Grogan: Marry you instead.
- Arnie Klein: Listen, take a vacation. Go away for a couple of weeks. Take a month off.
- John Grogan: Go where?
- Arnie Klein: I dunno.
- John Grogan: I live in a vacation spot.
- Arnie Klein: Then go to someplace where it's painful and sad.
- Arnie Klein: There's gonna come a time very soon, when her ankles are gonna swell up, she's gonna have blotches all over her face, she'll be 40 pounds overweight, she'll be throwing up all the time, she's gonna look at you and she'll say "You bastard! You did this to me!"
- John Grogan: What happened to the glow, you know the...
- Arnie Klein: There's no glow.
Quotes about Marley & Me edit
- Heel the love
- Their relationship wasn't going anywhere until one little thing tied it all together.
- Owen Wilson - Johnny "John" Grogan
- Jennifer Aniston - Jennifer "Jenny" "Jen" Grogan
- Eric Dane - Sebastian Tunney
- Alan Arkin - Arnie Klein
- Haley Hudson - Debbie
- Haley Bennett - Lisa
- Kathleen Turner - Ms. Kornblut
- Nathan Gamble - Patrick "Pat" Grogan (Age 10)
- Finley Jacobsen - Conor Grogan (Age 8)
- Ben Hyland - Conor Grogan (Age 5)