Maria Petronella Gerarda Koopmans (Tegelen, September 21, 1956) is a Dutch veterinarian and professor of virology.
|This scientist article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- The intensity of animal and human contact is becoming much greater as the world develops. This makes it more likely new diseases will emerge but also modern travel and trade make it much more likely they will spread. [...] We have these outbreaks and the international community flies in but in the case of Ebola the disease went under the radar for four months. It’s really crucial we start to change that and make sure local health care infrastructure is better developed. People on the ground are vital. They are our first line of defence.
- As quoted in Scientists put on alert for deadly new pathogen – 'Disease X' by Paul Nuki and Alanna Shaikh, 10 March 2018, The Daily Telegraph
- Whether it will be contained or not, this outbreak is rapidly becoming the first true pandemic challenge that fits the disease X category.
- On the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic, as quoted in Coronavirus May Be ‘Disease X’ Health Experts Warned About (February 21, 2020) by Jason Gale, Bloomberg News
- Marion Koopmans's profile at Erasmus MC
- Marion Koopmans's biography at the World Health Organization