Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (also known as Madagascar 2, and previously known as Madagascar: The Crate Escape) is a 2008 sequel to the 2005 film Madagascar about the continuing adventures of Alex the Lion, Gloria the Hippo, Marty the Zebra and Melman the Giraffe. Directed by Eric Darnell and Tom McGrath and written by Etan Cohen. It was distributed by Paramount Pictures, released on November 7, 2008. and released to theaters by DreamWorks Animation.
Alex The LionEdit
- My name is Alex. Ix. Like New York Knicks?
- How?! Me, Alex! Me and... me friends fly, fly in great metal bird! Then... plummet! [imitates a falling bomb] Smash ground! Go BOOM! Here we emerge. We offer only happiness and good greetings.
- Apparently, lions don't dance.
- If you're in Manhattan, feel free to look us up!
- (To Marty) I broke your iPod!
- (To Marty when the plane's crashing) I'd just like to say Marty, You are truly a one in a million friend!
Moto Moto the HippoEdit
- I like 'em big... I like 'em Chunky...
- Name's so nice, you say it twice (holds up 3 fingers - in reference to his name)
- I promise the answer will always be yes, unless a no is required.
Marty the ZebraEdit
- That is definitely not Crackalackin!
- I'm gonna kill you, butt biter!
- Right in the batteries!
Gloria the HippoEdit
- Who's your friend, or is that your butt?
- Hey, I can live with that.
- Manhattan is short on two things, parking and hippos.
- New York City, here we come, baby!
- You're not gonna believe it but, ha! I got a date with Moto Moto.
Melman the GiraffeEdit
- I've had a brainwave! Instead of going back, we could relax here for a few months!
- Listen, "Mototo". You gotta threat her like a queen, 'Cause you, my friend have found the perfect woman.
- Don't worry, you can flirt around with Mr. Hot Pants after I'm gone.
- Ya.- [gloria screams flat Melman falls on his] All; Whoa.
- Second of all, I only have 18 hours to live anyway.
- (hang from the light-fixture) You, inflight slave... Bring me my nuts on a silver
- If I, King Julien (that's my name), only had two days left to live, I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing.
- "(After being blown out of plane and deploying a parachute)" I can fly!
Nana (the old lady)Edit
- Bring it on!
- Bad kitty.
- We're New Yorkers. When we need food, we hunt for a decent hot dog stand! Am I right? When we need water, we build a dam! When we need shelter, we build skyscrapers!
- (Sees Makunga with her handbag and gasps) My handbag! You bad kitty!
- You hoodlums!
- Well done, boys. Looks like ice-cold sushi for breakfast.
- Attention passengers, this is your captain speaking. I've got good news and bad news. The good news is we're landing immediately. The bad news? We're crash-landing. (Plane begins to fall) When it comes to air-travel, we know you have no choice whatsoever. But thank you for flying Air Penguin!
- I'm trying! Can't you see these commies have my hands tied!
- Maternity leave?! You're all males!
- (to the doll, during the plane dive) My goodness, Doll, you're shaking like a leaf. (turning) Rico! You had your fun. Pull up!
- (to Rico as they try to land) Gently now. You just wanna kiss the ground. Just a little peck, a smooch like you're kissing your sister. (plane slams against the ground and the wooden landing gear breaks off) I said kiss it!
- [repeated line] Check.
- We lost engine 1. And engine 2 is no longer on fire.
- [After Skipper asks if the paper will fly] Yes. If we fold it here, here and here. [Turns the paper into a plane and send it flying]
- In case of a loss of cabin pressure, place the mask over your face [puts on mask & begins speaking indistinctly] to hide your terrified expression away from the other passengers.
- If the event of a water emergency, place the life vest over your head and kiss your-- [pulls on tab, causing life vest to explode] goodbye.
- May I kiss the bride, Skipper?
- Alex: I like to move it, move it!
- Gloria: He likes to move it, move it!
- Marty: She likes to move it, move it!
- Melman: We like to...
- Lemurs: Move it! [begin celebrating]
- [looking out over the African plain]
- Gloria: Am I trippin'?
- Marty: Look at all the zebras! Like me! Where are we?
- Melman: San Diego. This time I'm forty percent sure.
- Alex: I know this place.
- Marty: I think its Africa. Our ancestral grid! It's in our blood, I can feel it!
- Alex: No, no. It's more than that. It's like, deja vu, like I've... like I've been here before.
- Marty: It's like Roots!
- Alex: (dazed) No, no. It's like, deja vu, like I've... like I've been here before.
- Moto Moto: (raspy voice) Goodness, girl, you're huge.
- Gloria: Who's your friend or is that your butt?
- Julien: What ever happened to the separation of the classes?
- Maurice: Don't worry, I'm sure this democracy thing is just a fad.
- Gloria: Is this place great, or what!
- Alex: I'd go with 'or what.'
- Alex: She's got a gun! Let's get out while we can! Pass it on.
- [chimpanzees chatter the message all the way up the chain]
- Mason: He said, 'Let's have some fun and take out the dam. Basset hound.'
- Alex: Tell them, no! Pull up! They'll kill us! There's got to be another way! Pass it on.
- [The chimpanzees chatter the message all the way up the chain]
- Mason: They said, 'Don't pull up, kill us! There's no other way. Basset Hound.'
- Marty: Are you sure?
- [Private is giving a safety demonstration to the passengers]
- Private: [shows life vest] In the event of a water emergency, place the vest over your head, and kiss your-- [pulls on the red tab, causing the vest to inflate and explode] goodbye.
- [The penguins in the cockpit make several announcements while Mort tries to get in but gets blown away]
- Private: In case of a loss in cabin pressure, place the mask over your face [places oxygen mask over his face, muffling his voice] to hide your terrified expression from the other passengers.
- Marty: [showing his detached seatbelt] Excuse me, miss, but aren't these supposed to be attached to my seat?
- Private: [removes the mask] No sir.
- [Makunga encounters Zuba in a flashback]
- Makunga: Look at it this way. After I defeat you and take your place as alpha lion, you'll have that much more time to spend with your pathetic excuse of a son.
- Zuba: Before I kick your butt again, tell me why you want to be alpha lion?
- Makunga: I'm better looking, I have better hair, I'm deceitfully smart, and I want everyone to do what I say.
- [The red bulb on the plane's fuel gauge is flashing]
- Kowalski: Skipper, look.
- Skipper: Analysis.
- Kowalski: It looks like a small incandescent bulb, designed to indicate something out of the ordinary, like a malfunction.
- Skipper: I find it pretty and somewhat hypnotic.
- Kowalski: That too, sir.
- Skipper: Right. Rico, manual! [catches the manual and promptly smashes the bulb with it] Problemo solved.
- Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
- Skipper: What makes you think that?
- Kowalski: We've lost engine 1! [out the left window, engine #1 sputters out] And engine 2 is no longer on fire. [out the right window, engine stops smoking and sputters]
- Skipper: Buckle up, boys. [covers "Doll's" eyes] Don't look, doll, this might get hairy. [on the intercom] This is your captain speaking. I have good news and bad news. The good news is that we will be landing immediately. The bad news is... we're crash landing.
- Skipper: Grit, spit and a whole lot of duct tape, we should be up and running in, say... 6 to 9 months.
- Alex: 69 months?!
- Skipper: No, 6 to 9 months.
- [After Alex has lost fighting with Teesti and Makunga banished Alex and shames Zuba for his betrayal]
- Zuba: Come on. Shoo shoo! [hits the dik dik with a broom] You should've told us, son. You should've told us you weren't a real king.
- Alex: You never told me I'd have to fight anybody.
- Zuba: Well, what did you expect, son?
- Alex: I don't know, maybe a little fatherly advice... like, "Hey, son... it's a fight!". [drops the dik dik]
- Zuba: You're a lion, aren't ya?
- Alex: But I never fought another lion in my life.
- Zuba: No, I guess not. You danced.
- Alex: And other stuff. The point is, you're pal, Makunga, set me up back there. I mean none of this would've happened if–
- Zuba: [on the verge of anger] If you were a real lion!
- Florrie: [angrliy] ZUBA!
- Zuba: [shouting back, loudly] Yeah, I said it!
- Alex: [on the verge of tears, face his betrayal, he wasn't supposed to let anything down] "A real lion"...? Thanks. [walks away then turns to his father] Thanks a lot. [he started walking away, when he failed, Zuba looked at Florrie, feeling no guilt in saying what he said. He was mostly angry with him for failing at the ceremony and getting them in their current problems. Alex still walks away from them. He felt sad, untested, discouraged, horribly affected, shame and a fool. He just couldn't help until he faces his sorrow leaving him tearful leaving them far away with devastation. He had a fall out with himself that no one could see him anymore]
- [The union monkeys have gone on strike. Mason and Phil are with Skipper at the negotiating table]
- Mason: The plane won't be fixed until the suits meet our demands. Now, about maternity leave.
- Skipper: Maternity leave? [glances under the table] You're all male...
- Marty: Look, we need that plane for a rescue mission.
- Skipper: Well, there's nothing I can do until we bust up this union.
- Gloria: I'm gonna get to bustin' up all you if you don't get this plane going!
- Skipper: Can't you see these commies have my hands tied, here? NO maternity leave! [Mason nudges Phil, who pulls out incriminating photos of Skipper and "Doll" in compromising positions]
- Mason: Maybe a certain someone wouldn't want these blowing around the savanna?
- Skipper: [reluctantly] Alright, you get your maternity leave.
- Still together, still lost.
- You got to move it move it. You got to move it.
- [from trailer] This fall, your favorite castaways are going home.
- [from trailer] They thought they were going home. They thought wrong.
- [from trailer] On November 7, for these castaways, it's a jungle out there.
- [from trailer] From DreamWorks, to survive in Africa, they'll have to get in touch with their wild side.
- Ben Stiller as Alex/Alakay the Lion
- Declan Swift as Young Alex/Alakay
- Chris Rock as Marty the Zebra and the other zebras
- Thomas Stanley as Young Marty
- David Schwimmer as Melman the Giraffe
- Zachary Gordon as Young Melman
- Jada Pinkett Smith as Gloria the Hippo
- Willow Smith as Young Gloria
- Cedric the Entertainer as Maurice the Aye-aye
- Andy Richter as Mort the Pygmy Mouse Lemur
- Sacha Baron Cohen as King Julien the "XIII" Ring-Tailed Lemur
- Tom McGrath as Skipper the Penguin
- Chris Miller as Kowalski the Penguin
- Christopher Knights as Private the Penguin
- John DiMaggio as Rico the Penguin
- Naelee Rae as Zuba the Penguin
- Conrad Vernon as Mason the Chimpanzee
- Elisa Gabrielli as Nana the Old Lady
- Bernie Mac as Zuba, Alex's dad
- Sherri Shepherd as Florrie, Alex's mom
- Alec Baldwin as Makunga, Alex's uncle
- will.i.am as Moto-Moto
- Tiny Lister as Teetsi
- Stacy Ferguson as Hippo Girlfriend
- Harland Williams as Additional Giraffe
- Kathryn Feller as Ostrich #1
- Beth Hilton. "Baldwin and will.i.am join Madagascar". Digital Spy. Retrieved on 2008-06-05.