MEChA is an acronym for Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán (Chicano Student's Movement of Aztlan). It is an organization that seeks to promote Chicano unity and empowerment through political action. The acronym of the organization's name is the Chicano word mecha, which is the Chicano pronunciation of the English word, match and therefore symbolic of a fire or spark; mecha in Spanish means fuse or wick.
El Plan Espiritual de Aztlán (1969)Edit
- We are a bronze people with a bronze culture. Before the world, before all of North America, before all our brothers in the bronze continent.
- Economic control of our lives and our communities can only come about by driving the exploiter out of our communities, our pueblos, and our lands and by controlling and developing our own talents, sweat, and resources.
- Economic ties of responsibility must be secured by nationalism and the Chicano defense units.
- For the very young there will no longer be acts of juvenile delinquency, but revolutionary acts.
- September 16, on the birthdate of Mexican Independence, a national walk-out by all Chicanos of all colleges and schools to be sustained until the complete revision of the educational system: its policy makers, administration, its curriculum, and its personnel to meet the needs of our community.
The Philosophy of MEChA (1999)Edit
- Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán (M.E.Ch.A.) is a student organization that promotes higher education, cultura [culture], and historia [history]. M.E.Ch.A. was founded on the principles of self-determination for the liberation of our people. We believe that political involvement and education is the avenue for change in our society.
- Thus, a Chicana/Chicano Nation is a necessity defined as an educational, socio-economic, and empowered Chicana/Chicano community.
- Our fundamental drive is to organize and challenge Chicana/Chicano estudiantes [students] to maintain self-respect and dignity to overcome historical prejudices and discrimination against the Chicana and Chicano Gente [people]. The historic mission of M.E.Ch.A. involves an educational plan of action that builds an educational ladder for the advancement of our people. Recognizing that the strength of our movement is rooted in our barrios, M.E.Ch.A. pledges itself to reach out to the community and schools, to establish new educational opportunities. We also recognize that our M.E.Ch.A. chapters are much stronger when they are rooted in and accountable to the Chicana/Chicano community. Consequently, We, Mechistas commit ourselves to return to our community and contribute to the development of the Chicana/Chicano Nation.
- As M.E.Ch.A., we must accept the challenge to combat all forms of oppression, and manifestations as experienced through racism, sexism, and homophobia, both inside and outside of our Movement.
- Advocating an educational revolution, we recognize that our bullets are our books and our victories are an increase in Chicana/Chicano graduates committed to our people's progress.