John Scott, 1st Earl of Eldon
British barrister and politician, born 1751
(Redirected from Lord Eldon)
- It is better that the law should be certain than that every judge should speculate upon improvements in it.
- Sheldon v. Goodrich, 8 Ves. 481, 497 (1803).
- I always thought it better to allow myself to doubt before I decided, than to expose myself to the misery, after I had decided, of doubting whether I had decided rightly and justly.
- In Horace Twiss, The Public and Private Life of Lord Chancellor Eldon (1844), p. 350.
- I was with you, Mr. Scott—till I heard your argument.
- Edward Thurlow, 1st Baron Thurlow, related by Scott in Horace Twiss, The Public and Private Life of Lord Chancellor Eldon (1844), p. 79.