Edward Thurlow, 1st Baron Thurlow
British lawyer and Tory politician (1731-1806)
- I was with you, Mr. Scott—till I heard your argument.
- Related by John Scott, 1st Earl of Eldon, in Horace Twiss, The Public and Private Life of Lord Chancellor Eldon (1844), p. 79.
- The accident of an accident.
- Speech in Reply to the Duke of Grafton. Recounted in Butler's Reminiscences, vol. i. p. 142.
- When I forget my sovereign, may my God forget me.
- 27 Parliamentary History, 680; Annual Register, 1789. Wilkes is reported to have replied, somewhat coarsely, but not unhappily it must be allowed, "Forget you! He ’ll see you damned first". Edmund Burke also exclaimed, "The best thing that could happen to you!" —Henry Peter, Lord Brougham, Statesmen of the Time of George III (Thurlow).
- Corporations have neither bodies to be punished, nor souls to be condemned; they therefore do as they like.