Lin-Manuel Miranda (born January 16, 1980) is an American composer, lyricist, singer, actor, and playwright.
- I think that if we’ve done our job well and we articulate this individual’s life well, the themes inherent in that translate…It’s about legacy, about how much do we do with the time we’re given? And then there are themes that wrestle with the American character, but only in that Hamilton’s life is a rough-draft version of the arguments we still have as a country.
- On his work Hamilton in “Lin-Manuel Miranda on his Broadway smash Hamilton: 'the world freaked out'” in The Guardian (2016 Sep 25)
- There are a few people who only like hip-hop music, and a few who only like theatre music, and the rest of us just like good shit. It doesn’t matter what form it comes in. I think we’re all a lot more eclectic than we give ourselves credit for…
- On the combining of musical genres in Hamilton in “Lin-Manuel Miranda on his Broadway smash Hamilton: 'the world freaked out'” in The Guardian (2016 Sep 25)
- The honest answer is there are things inside me I want to make – Hamilton is one of those things, Heights was another. And since the success of Hamilton, my life has been about finding the balance between the things I always wanted to make and the opportunities that are so incredible I’d be angry if they opened and I wasn’t in them. So Mary Poppins and Little Mermaid definitely fall into that category. I think there is always a part of me that is checking in with childhood Lin and asking: ‘Would little Lin be freaking out about this?’ If the answer is yes, then I say yes.
- On his career post-Hamilton in “Lin-Manuel Miranda: ‘A Trump musical? I don't know how to score that yet’” in The Guardian (2018 Dec 1)
- …I think if you want to make a recipe for making a writer, have them feel a little out of place everywhere, have them be an observer kind of all the time, and that's a great way to make a writer…
- On how code switching between social environments informed his writing in “Lin-Manuel Miranda On Disney, Mixtapes And Why He Won't Try To Top 'Hamilton'” in NPR (2017 Dec 26)
Quotes about Lin-Manuel Miranda edit
- I hear a chavalo named Lin-Manuel in New York is pretty good.
- (Which writers — novelists, playwrights, critics, journalists, poets — working today do you admire most?) …Also Lin-Manuel Miranda; “Hamilton” blew me away, and I can’t wait to see what he does next.
- I remember a young playwright of Puerto Rican descent named Lin-Manuel Miranda, who told us in the photo line before an evening of poetry, music, and the spoken word that he planned to debut the first song of what he hoped would be a hip-hop musical on the life of America's first Treasury secretary, Alexander Hamilton. We were politely encouraging but secretly skeptical, until he got up onstage and started dropping beats and the audience went absolutely nuts.
- Barack Obama A Promised Land (2020)