woman with sexual and/or romantic attraction to other women
(Redirected from Lesbians)
A lesbian is a homosexual woman.
- For a woman to be a lesbian in a male-supremacist, capitalist, misogynist, racist, homophobic, imperialist culture, such at that of North America, is an act of resistance.
- Cheryl Clarke, "Lesbianism: An Act of Resistance," in This Bridge Called My Back (1981), p. 126
- Lesbianism is not mentioned in the Hebrew Bible, in contrast to male homosexual behavior, which is expressly forbidden as a capital crime. The absence of discussion of lesbianism in this context has raised scholarly interest.
- Rebecca T. Alpert, Jewish Women's Archive, "Lesbianism".
- At the 2008 Lambda Literary Awards (the awards the LGBT community gives to books ignored by straight book awards) not a single lesbian book nominated for best novel was published by a mainstream press. Our literature is disappearing at the same time we are being told we are winning our rights. How can we be equal citizens if our stories are not allowed to be part of our nation's story?
- Sarah Schulman, The Gentrification of the Mind: Witness to a Lost Imagination (2012), p. 151