Leopold I of Belgium
German prince who became the first King of the Belgians (1790-1865)
|This article about a political figure is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- My heart knows of no other ambition than that of seeing you happy.
- Foreign Relations of the United States, Translation of the speech from the throne. On ascending the throne, Leopold I to the Belgians.
- He is as uncontrollable and crabby as one can imagine. Not to be understood, because neither his mother nor his father is like that.
- Take a serious look at yourself. Ask yourself questions about your mood, the way you view the world and people, think about your mistakes and the dangers they unleash. Today the character of a person determines whether he can exercise influence and authority, far more than all the minds on this earth. As you know, this is all the more true in Belgium, and Belgians want to see in their leader the qualities they will never want from themselves. It is very good that you are involved in trade and industry, you understand well how desirable it would be that the Belgians were given the means to do something outside the homeland.
- I am saddened by the case of Constantinople, this journey was so well served to you, and you have spoiled it with a childishness.
- It is not for us that we exhort you to learn, but for yourself, because ignorance is an inability, a real disaster, because social positions and protection are no longer there as before, there is a ground for malice and even hatred.
- Leopold II, The Whole Story King Leopold I to his son Prince Leopold II.
Quotes about Leopold IEdit
- This wise prince, the true head of a nation of freemen, did more than deserve the love and admiration of his subjects. He rendered a distinguished service to the cause of popular liberty.
- Leopold I: Un Roi Protestant at the Chapelle royale" (Belgium)