American singer-songwriter, guitarist, producer, actress, and poet
- I think each person knows what's good for them. I don't think you need to be drastic. But it's finding where's passion in your life. We can't live without dreams.
- The Late Late Show (24 January 1997)
- I kept getting typified as this Pollyanna neohippie. I think it's because I have a different definition of optimism. I've noticed a belief that somehow optimism lacks intelligence and that optimism stems from a lack of experience and naiveté. I don't believe that. I believe optimism is a choice. Cynicism isn't smarter, it's just safer.
- Pieces of You is not a good record. It's an embarrassing record, ultimately. It's like having your dirty laundry aired out. I didn't think people would hear it. But it made me realize that all people want is to be touched. They don't care if it's Celine Dion or Meat Loaf or me.
- Interview with Neil Strauss in Rolling Stone (24 December 1998)
A Night Without Armor (1998)Edit
- I'd sit on logs like pulpits
listen to the sermon
and find god in Simplicity,
there amongst the dandelion
- "As a Child I Walked"