American actor (born 1974)
Jason Edward Mewes (born June 12, 1974) is an American television and film actor, film producer and internet radio show host. He has played Jay, the vocal half of the duo Jay and Silent Bob, in longtime friend Kevin Smith's films.
View Askew interview (1999) edit
- Quotes of Mewes from "Interviews Askew : Jason Mewes" by Mike McCarthy (14 March 1999)
- I was a metalhead and then I was into the rap and then I was a metalhead again.
- I used to hang out with Bryan down at The Rec. They were going to a comic book show, Kevin, Bryan and Walter. Bryan invited me and told Kevin that Jason Mewes kid's gonna come. And Kevin was like, "Oh, man, I don't want that dude going." He's like, "I ain't driving him." And Bryan was like, "All right. I'll drive." Kevin tells the story better, but when we were driving up — I don't remember, really, but he said I was saying all this stuff and Bryan and Walter were laughing and the whole time he was like, "This guy ain't funny. He ain't funny." He seemed like he really didn't like me. I think that was the first time I met him — he didn't want me coming with them to the comic book show. He didn't even know me, really, but he just didn't want me going. And then one day at The Rec I wound up doing something funny and that's when he started to like me.
- He asked me, "I wrote this movie and I wrote a part for you." He's like, "Will you do it?" And I was like, "Sure!" I didn't think nothing of it. He wanted to do it, but I didn't think he was gonna do it. It didn't even cross my mind again for a few months. And then all of a sudden he called me up and he's like, "Yo, you gotta come pick the script up, we're shooting the movie in like two weeks." … I was like, "What?" He was like, "Remember the movie I told you about? I wrote the part for you? We're doing it in like two weeks." I was like, "Oh shit. Cool." That was it.
- I started working at the Quick Stop with him. Every Sunday I used to go to the Quick Stop and we used to put the Sunday papers together at like five in the morning. And then after a while he got me a job at the video store next door. I used to lock up the store and go next door and hang out all the time and watch movies and stuff.
- In Kevin's movies I would like to stay Jay. But, yeah, I'd love to do something else in someone else's movie. I got a script sent to me at this office and I got a call from a woman — Universal's doing a snowboarding movie. I'm not in it yet, but I'm supposed to meet with the director in New York soon. I'm waiting to hear back from them.