2011 American dystopian sci-fi thriller film
In Time is a 2011 dystopian science fiction action film about a society where people stop aging at 25. Instead, a new economic system uses time as currency, and each person has a clock on their arm that counts down how long they have to live.
- Written and directed by Andrew Niccol.
Time Is Powertaglines
- I don't have time. I don't have time to worry about how it happened. It is what it is. We're genetically engineered to stop aging at 25. The trouble is, we live only one more year, unless we can get more time. Time is now the currency. We earn it and spend it. The rich can live forever. And the rest of us? I just want to wake up with more time on my hand than hours in the day.
- Do I really want to spend my life trying not to die by mistake?
- Henry Hamilton: How old are you? In real time?
- Will Salas: 28.
- Henry Hamilton: I'm 105.
- Will Salas: Good for you. You won't see 106, you have too many more nights like tonight.
- Henry Hamilton: You are right. But the day comes when you've had enough. Your mind can be spent, even if your body's not. We want to die. We need to.
- Will Salas: That's your problem? You've been alive too long? You ever known anyone who's died?
- Henry Hamilton: For a few to be immortal, many must die.
- Will Salas: What the hell is that supposed to mean?
- Henry Hamilton: You really don't know, do you? Everyone can't live forever. Where would we put them? Why do you think there are time zones? Why do you think taxes and prices go up the same day in the ghetto? The cost of living keeps rising to make sure people keep dying. How else could there be men with a million years while most live day to day? But the truth is... there's more than enough. No one has to die before their time. If you had as much time as I have on that clock, what would you do with it?
- Will Salas: I'd stop watching it. I can tell you one thing. If I had all that time, I sure as hell wouldn't waste it.
- Philippe Weis: You'd steal from your own father.
- Sylvia Weis: Is it stealing if it's already stolen?
- Philippe Weis: Is that so? You might upset the balance for a generation. Two. But don't fool yourself. In the end, nothing will change. Because everyone wants to live forever. They all think they have a chance at immortality even though all the evidence is against it. They all think they will be the exception. But the truth is: For a few to be immortal, many must die.
- Will Salas: [points a gun at Philippe] NO ONE should be immortal, if even one person has to die.
- Sylvia Weis: Will, if you get a lot of time, are you really gonna give it away?
- Will Salas: I've only ever had a day. How much do you need? How can you live with yourself watching people die right next to you?
- Sylvia Weis: You don't watch. You close your eyes. I can help you get all the time you want.
- Philippe Weis: Timekeeper. After this regrettable incident it's really not necessary for you to come in person.
- Raymond Leon: I'm afraid it really is... necessary.
- Philippe Weis: When can we hope for a rescue?
- Raymond Leon: I believe that's the point; she doesn't appear to want to be rescued.
- Philippe Weis: Mr Leon... Raymond. May I call you Raymond? [Leon doesn't respond] I blame myself. I invited the man into my home. He had so much time, how was I supposed to know? Of course, Sylvia brought this on herself by her lack of vigilance. That's why I always tried to keep her close. But she is clearly under Will Salas's control. [Weis examines his arm with clock on it] If it's a matter of resources, I'm... happy to make a contribution. It's a scandal what we pay our Timekeepers.
- [Leon nods lightly in apparent agreement]
- Raymond Leon: I have issued a warrant for your daughter's arrest. If she contacts you and you assist her in any way, I will issue a warrant for your arrest.
- Philippe Weis: There's nothing I cannot buy. Now, how many of my years do you want?
- Raymond Leon: There aren't enough years, even in your lifetime Mr. Weis. Goodnight.
- Sylvia Weis: What have we got?
- Will Salas: A day. You can do a lot in a day.
- Philippe Weis: Even if you gave a year to a million people, you're just prolonging their agony.
- Sylvia Weis: We're prolonging their lives.
- Philippe Weis: Flooding the wrong zone with a million years, it could cripple the system.
- Will Salas: Let's hope so.
- Sylvia Weis: We're not meant to live like this. We're not meant to live forever. Although I do wonder, Father, if you've ever lived a day in your life.
- Sylvia Weis: You must despise us...
- Will Salas: It's not your fault. We only have one life.
- Time Is Power
- Time Is Money
- Live forever or die trying.
- His crime wasn't stealing time. He was giving it away.
- Tomorrow is a luxury you can't afford.
- At the age of 25, the aging process stops
- Life is paid out a minute at a time
- The rich can live forever, the poor must earn for more time
- Justin Timberlake - Will Salas
- Amanda Seyfried - Sylvia Weis
- Cillian Murphy - Timekeeper Raymond Leon
- Alex Pettyfer - Fortis
- Vincent Kartheiser - Philippe Weis
- Olivia Wilde - Rachel Salas
- Matt Bomer - Henry Hamilton
- Johnny Galecki - Borel
- Collins Pennie - Timekeeper Jaeger
- Ethan Peck - Constantin
- Yaya DaCosta - Greta, Borel's wife
- Rachel Roberts - Carrera
- August Emerson - Levi
- Sasha Pivovarova - Clara Weis
- Jesse Lee Soffer - Webb
- Bella Heathcote - Michele Weis
- Toby Hemingway - Timekeeper Kors