Ikiru is a 1952 film about the struggles of a dying Tokyo bureaucrat and his final quest for life's meaning. The title Ikiru translates to "to live" in English.
- Directed by Akira Kurosawa. Written by Shinobu Hashimoto, Akira Kurosawa, and Hideo Oguni.
Shimura sings Gondola no Uta
on the swing, "life is brief. fall in love, maidens.."
- I have less than a year to live. When I found that out... somehow I was drawn to you. Once when I was a child, I almost drowned. It's just like that feeling. Darkness everywhere, and nothing for me to hold onto, no matter how hard I try. There's just you.
- [singing] Life is brief, fall in love, maidens...Before the crimson bloom fades from your lips...Before the tides of passion cools within you...For those of you who know no tomorrow...Life is brief, fall in love, maidens...Before our raven tresses begin to fade...Before the flames in your hearts flicker and die...For those to whom today will never return...
- I can't afford to hate anyone. I don't have that kind of time.
- I just can't die -- I don't know what I've been living for all these years. This expensive saki is a protest against my life up to now.
- [telling a joke] "You've never had a day off, have you?" "No." "Why? Are you indispensable?" "No. I don't want them to find out they can do without me."
- That's not art. A striptease isn't art. It's too direct. It's more direct than art. That woman's body up there? It's a big juicy steak. It's a glass of gin. It's a hormone extract. Streptomycin. Uranium!
- How tragic that man can never realize how beautiful life is until he is face to face with death.
- Toyo: What help am I?
- Kanji: You - just to look at you makes me feel better. It warms this - this mummy's heart of mine. And you're so kind to me. No; that's not it. You're so young, so healthy. No; that's not it either... You're so full of life. And me... I'm jealous of that. If I could be like you for just one day before I died. I won't be able to die unless I can do that. I want to do something. Only you can show me. I don't know what to do. I don't know how. Maybe you don't know either, but, please... if you can... show me how to be like you!
Last modified on 13 April 2014, at 09:29