- Up the River of Death
Sailed the Great Admiral!
- The River Fight (published 1864).
- You might have deemed our long gun-deck
Two hundred feet of hell.
- The River Fight (published 1864). Compare: "War is hell", attributed to William Tecumseh Sherman; "This is the soldier brave enough to tell, The glory-dazzled world that 'war is hell'", Henry van Dyke, On the St. Gaudens Statue of Sherman.
- Since what unnumbered year
Hast thou kept watch and ward
And o’er the buried Land of Fear
So grimly held thy guard?
- The Sphynx (published 1864).