Japanese animator, film director, and mangaka
|This People article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Translation: Nausicaä: Life is a winking light in the darkness.
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Manga: 1982-1994, Anime: 1984), Manga, vol. 8
- We depict hatred, but it is to depict that there are more important things. We depict a curse, to depict the joy of liberation.
- Children understand intuitively that the world they have been born into is not a blessed world.
- I believe that children's souls are the inheritors of historical memory from previous generations. It's just that as they grow older and experience the everyday world that memory sinks lower and lower. I feel I need to make a film that reaches down to that level. If I could do that I would die happy.
- (2005) The Guardian article
- It's difficult. [My female protagonists] immediately become the subjects of rorikon gokko (play toy for Lolita Complex males). In a sense, if we want to depict someone who is affirmative to us, we have no choice but to make them as lovely as possible. But now, there are too many people who shamelessly depict [such protagonists] as if they just want [such girls] as pets, and things are escalating more and more.
- 1988 interview with Animage, Animage, vol. 125, November 1988. Retrieved June 8, 2007.
- Most people depend on the internet and cellphones to survive, but what happens when they stop working? I wanted to create a mother and child who wouldn't be defeated by life without them.
- If it is a dying craft we can't do anything about it. Civilisation moves on. Where are all the fresco painters now? Where are the landscape artists? What are they doing now? The world is changing. I have been very fortunate to be able to do the same job for 40 years. That's rare in any era.
- on the topic of hand-drawn animation (2005) The Guardian article
- Actually I think CGI has the potential to equal or even surpass what the human hand can do.
- on the topic of CGI animation (2005) The Guardian article