"We depict hatred, but it is to depict that there are more important things. We depict a curse, to depict the joy of liberation."
Hayao Miyazaki (宮崎駿, Miyazaki Hayao, born January 5, 1941) is one of the most famous and respected creators of anime, or Japanese animated films.
- Translation: Nausicaä: Life is a winking light in the darkness.
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Manga: 1982-1994, Anime: 1984), Manga, vol. 8
- We depict hatred, but it is to depict that there are more important things. We depict a curse, to depict the joy of liberation.
- Children understand intuitively that the world they have been born into is not a blessed world.
- I believe that children's souls are the inheritors of historical memory from previous generations. It's just that as they grow older and experience the everyday world that memory sinks lower and lower. I feel I need to make a film that reaches down to that level. If I could do that I would die happy.
- Most people depend on the internet and cellphones to survive, but what happens when they stop working? I wanted to create a mother and child who wouldn't be defeated by life without them.
- If it is a dying craft we can't do anything about it. Civilisation moves on. Where are all the fresco painters now? Where are the landscape artists? What are they doing now? The world is changing. I have been very fortunate to be able to do the same job for 40 years. That's rare in any era.
- Actually I think CGI has the potential to equal or even surpass what the human hand can do.
Last modified on 17 April 2014, at 22:37