Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜; Hán Guóyú; born 17 June 1957) is a politician in Taiwan (Republic of China) of Kuomintang (KMT). He served as a member of the Legislative Yuan from 1993 to 2002, and was elected Mayor of Kaohsiung in 2018.
- In the future, there will be no blue-green (KMT or DPP) partisanship in Kaohsiung. All-out efforts will be made to pump up the (city) economy.
- Han Kuo-yu (2018) cited in "KMT's Han Kuo-yu wins Kaohsiung mayoral election" on Focus Taiwan, 25 November 2018.
- I am no ecstasy pill (like what did the DPP official Lin Hsi-yao said). It is the public (people of Kaohsiung) who can bear no more (about the lack of prospects in Kaohsiung under the DPP government).
- Han Kuo-yu (2018) cited in "The fall and rise of Taiwan’s Han Kuo-yu: a former Kuomintang outcast turns up the heat on Kaohsiung mayoral election rival Chen Chi-mai" on South China Morning Post, 26 November 2018.
- I perfectly understand how big a decision Kaohsiung voters have made to elect me mayor because I have only lived here for a short time. I promise to build a clean government, and use whoever is good for the city, regardless of their political affiliations, and do all I can to make Kaohsiung rich and great.
- Han Kuo-yu (2018) cited in "From rank outsider to mayor of Kaohsiung: meet the man who wooed Taiwan's electorate" on South China Morning Post, 26 November 2018.
- There are too many political issues (in Taiwan), he (bread master Wu Pao-chun) is not the one to deal with them, just let him do a good job in the bread profession.
- Han Kuo-yu (2018) cited in "Half baked: Taiwan's 'bread master' says he doesn't know politics, just bread" on Taiwan News, 11 December 2018.
- Both sides of the Taiwan Strait (Taiwan and Mainland China) have their differences of opinion. I hope people on both sides could help, protect and give their blessings to a simple businessman (bread master Wu Pao-chun) who wishes to develop his business without becoming too involved in politics.
- Han Kuo-yu (2018) cited in "President Tsai decries row over Wu Pao-chun" on Taipei Times, 12 December 2018.
- Fortune's wheel turns every 30 years. And now, it is time for Kaohsiung to be the master and the focus of the Chinese community worldwide.
- Han Kuo-yu (2018) cited in "Mayors, commissioners sworn in for new terms" on Taipei Times, 26 December 2018.
- What you (Mainland Affairs Council Minister Chen Ming-tong) have in mind are rigid restrictions, while what I have in mind is economic development. Rest assured, my city (Kaohsiung) will not touch anything related to diplomacy or national defense. Kaohsiung will only be an 'economic animal'.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "MAC minister, mayor meet on cross-strait ties" on Taipei Times, 24 January 2019.
- There are 'two undeniable' that are colliding with one another: "Do not doubt the Chinese Communist Party's determination to recover Taiwan" and "Do not doubt Taiwanese's determination to pursue democracy and freedom".
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Ko says Han’s cross-strait aspirations far from easy" on Taipei Times, 14 February 2019.
- Kaohsiung is opening its arms to all cities, nations and territories of the world.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Kaohsiung mayor departs for visit to Malaysia, Singapore" on Focus Taiwan, 24 February 2019.
- Clearly, agricultural products and seafood from Taiwan are not promoted enough in Hong Kong.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Taiwan’s Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu meets Hong Kong Chief Exec. and city’s top Beijing official" on Hong Kong Free Press, 22 March 2019.
- Your questions are very good (referring to the three questions asked by Post journalist questions regarding Beijing's "one country, two systems" governing principle, the "1992 consensus" on cross-strait relations and whether he would run for ROC 2020 presidential election). Have you tasted the fruit we brought from Kaohsiung? Haven't you? I have made it very clear that this trip (to Hong Kong, Macau and Mainland CHina) is a trip of economy and friendship. Thanks for your three questions.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Pineapple politics: Beijing-friendly Taiwanese mayor Han Kuo-yu comes bearing fruit, but won’t touch prickly cross-strait issues" on South China Morning Post, 22 March 2019.
- I'm bringing along my wife, my deputy mayor and my team to Hong Kong, under the watch of 10 city councilors. Am I really going to sell out Kaohsiung (to Mainland China)? I'm only here (in Hong Kong, Macau, Shenzhen and Xiamen) to sell fruits and fish products.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "‘Selling out my people? I’m only here to sell fruits’: Beijing-friendly Taiwanese mayor Han Kuo-yu fires back at critics over rare visit" on South China Morning Post, 23 March 2019.
- Macau has its own development strategies while Kaohsiung also has its own development strategies. Anyway, we are amazed that Macau's current Gross Domestic Product per capita ranks second in the world after having risen from HK$10,000 or so to over HK$80,000 in the past two decades, and Kaohsiung will strive to catch up.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Kaohsiung mayor meets liaison chief and Chief Executive" on Macau News, 25 March 2019.
- Now I reiterate that I support the 1992 consensus ... I hope there will be more exchanges across the strait and people will become good friends.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Senior Chinese officials give Taiwanese politician Han Kuo-yu the red carpet treatment on ‘non-political’ tour of mainland" on South China Morning Post, 25 March 2019.
- Today's Xiamen is a beautiful garden city, and we hope Kaohsiung will get better as well.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Xiamen, Kaohsiung sign 30 mln USD fruit, fishery deals" on Xinhuanet, 27 March 2019.
- Whoever can secure Taiwan's safety and make its citizens rich, then this is the one who will be a great president for Taiwan. Please support this person (in the 2020 Republic of China presidential election).
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Taiwan should not drag U.S. into conflicts: Kaohsiung Mayor Han" on Focus Taiwan, 12 April 2019.
- Fighting for the economy is not a slogan. Show the results. It's already been three years (since President Tsai Ing-wen took office). I don't care whatever reason or excuse you use, the point is how do the ordinary (Taiwanese) people feel? Too many Taiwanese people feel financially hard-hit. This is something people cannot be deceived about
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Han blames 3 presidents with law degrees for 'crippling' Taiwan's economy" on Taiwan News, 15 April 2019.
- I have witnessed for myself that Taiwan's progress has been idling for 20 years due to divisive and malfunctioning partisan politics. I could say the government of Taiwan is not dominated by public servants but by party servants.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Politicians should serve the people, not parties: Han Kuo-yu" on Focus Taiwan, 16 April 2019.
- I love the Republic of China (ROC), and I am willing to take all the responsibilities as long as it can help boost the development of the ROC.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Kaohsiung mayor Han Kuo-yu says run at Taiwan presidency on KMT ticket would have to be on his own terms" on South China Morning Post, 23 April 2019.
- Given the current situation, I cannot be included in opinion polls on the presidential election. As Kaohsiung mayor, I shoulder the expectations of Kaohsiung residents. If (KMT) party headquarters or the Central Standing Committee needs Han Kuo-yu in some way to make all kinds of arrangements, including opinion polls, I will respect their decision.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Han agrees to respect KMT mechanism" on Taipei Times, 1 May 2019.
- For 2020 (Republic of China presidential election), Han Kuo-yu hereby announces that he is ready to take on any important position and willing to risk life and limb to defend the ROC.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Hundreds of thousands attend rally to support Han's presidential bid" on Focus Taiwan, 1 June 2019.
- I have reiterated the four points time and again and very clearly: Defend the Republic of China; reject "one country, two systems"; love freedom and democracy; stand with peace and prosperity.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "INTERVIEW: Han Kuo-yu urges accountability in politics" on Taipei Times, 22 July 2019.
- This tree has a hole with water in it where mosquitoes could breed!
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Han tackles Kaohsiung's dengue outbreak by climbing tree" on Taiwan News, 24 July 2019.
- The (2020 Republic of China presidential) election is a choice between a peaceful Taiwan Strait or a Taiwan Strait filled with crisis.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Han Kuo-yu formally nominated as KMT presidential candidate" on Focus Taiwan, 28 July 2019.
- The people will make a most sacred and solemn choice (in the upcoming 2020 Republic of China presidential election) for the fate of our country in the next four years. We will choose whether to defend the Republic of China (ROC) or destroy the ROC.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Beijing-friendly candidate Han Kuo-yu calls upcoming elections a 'battle' for Taiwan" on The Japan Times, 28 July 2019.
- We shall strive to create another Taiwan Miracle, where Taiwan is safe and the people are rich.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Han named KMT’s 2020 candidate" on Taipei Times, 29 July 2019.
- This is a sacred presidential election (in 2020). It's not just for a personal victory for Han Kuo-yu, and it's not just for our Kuomintang. It's for our country, the Republic of China. We need to wholeheartedly create a safe Taiwan, where the people are rich, a Taiwan miracle, an economic miracle.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "KMT presidential candidate Han campaigns for economic miracle" on Radio Taiwan International, 29 July 2019.
- Our products are sold at higher prices and we lost (Mainland) Chinese tourists not traveling in group tours (to Taiwan). Without people coming in or goods going out, the (Taiwan) economy cannot grow.
- Han Kuo-yu (2019) cited in "Tsai causing ‘unspeakable suffering’: Han" on Taipei Times, 12 August 2019.
Quotes about Han Kuo-yuEdit
- Thank you very much for the (Kaohsiung) mayor (elect Han Kuo-yu)'s support of my profession. I am a professional baker. The world of bread is simple and happy. I like and enjoy making friends with you through bread. I am honored that many young people are willing to enter this industry because of me. I have a responsibility to create a bigger market for young people. Finally, Wu Pao-chun is still Wu Pao-chun. I am a very simple baker.
- Wu Pao-chun (2018) cited in "Half baked: Taiwan's 'bread master' says he doesn't know politics, just bread" on Taiwan News, 11 December 2018.
- Although Han (Kuo-yu) and I belong to different political camps, we both possess ROC national identification cards. Like I once said, the distance between the pan-blue (Kuomintang) and pan-green camps (Democratic Progressive Party), however wide it is, is narrower than that between the pan-blue camp and the red camp (Communist Party of China).
- If Han Kuo-yu is unfortunately elected (as) president (of the Republic of China) next year (2020), more visitors will arrive (in Taiwan) and exports will increase. People will become rich, but the People's Liberation Army will come in (to Taiwan). It will be a disaster for Taiwanese people and everyone will die together. Is that what you want?
- Chen Shui-bian (2019) cited in "Chen Shuibian says if Han becomes Taiwan's president 'everyone will die together'" on Taiwan News, 28 March 2019.
- Han (has managed to) mobilized the middle class and the lower middle class (in Kaohsiung) without paying money. Han Kuo-yu is the only candidate who has a really strong appeal to the lower middle-class voters.
- Joanna Lei (2019) cited in "Taiwan's Opposition Party Picks Populist Mayor Over Former Foxconn Chief for 2020 Presidential Race'" on Time, 15 July 2019.