2010 film by Noah Baumbach
Greenberg is a 2010 film about a man from Los Angeles, who moved to New York years ago, who returns to L.A. to figure out his life while he house-sits for his brother. He soon sparks with his brother's assistant.
- Directed and written by Noah Baumbach.
He's got a lot on his mind.
- The thing about you kids is that you're all kind of insensitive. I'm glad I grew up when I did 'cause your parents were too perfect at parenting- all that baby Mozart and Dan Zanes songs; you're just so sincere and interested in things! There's a confidence in you guys that's horrifying. You're all ADD and carpal tunnel. You wouldn't know agoraphobia if it bit you in the ass, and it makes you mean. You say things to someone like me who's older and smarter with this light air... I'm freaked out by you kids. I hope I die before I end up meeting one of you in a job interview.
- Dear Starbucks, in your attempt to manufacture culture out of fast food coffee you've been surprisingly successful for the most part. The part that isn't covered by 'the most part' sucks.
- All the men out here dress like children and the kids dress like superheroes.
- It's the harder, more painful decision to stay free but that's what adulthood is.
- You like me so much more than you think you do.
- Hurt people hurt people.
- Ivan Schrank: Youth is wasted on the young.
- Roger Greenberg: I'd go further. I'd go: 'Life is wasted on people.'
- Florence Marr: You like old things.
- Roger Greenberg: A shrink said to me once that I have trouble living in the present, so I linger on the past because I felt like I never really lived it in the first place, you know?
- Roger Greenberg: I'll take you to it.
- Florence Marr: How's that gonna work? Am I going to drive you to take me?
- Florence Marr: I just got out of a long relationship and I don't want to go from just having sex to just having sex to just having sex.
- Roger Greenberg: Who's the third 'just having sex'?
- Florence Marr: You. If we had sex.
- Roger Greenberg: Wish it wasn't too late to get my medical degree.
- Ivan Schrank: It's not too late.
- Roger Greenberg: I'd be over 50 by the time I graduated.
- Ivan Schrank: What is it? Four years, right?
- Roger Greenberg: Yeah, but I know myself. I'd procrastinate, take time off. Eight years at best. Who's gonna hire a 49... Let's just call it 50. A 50-year-old vet?
- Ivan Schrank: I'm confused. Are you going to vet school or regular medical school?
- Roger Greenberg: Neither, clearly.
- Florence Marr: We're not really even dating... and we're seeing other people. I'm not seeing anyone...
- Roger Greenberg: Neither am I!... But I want to.
- Florence Marr: Who?
- Roger Greenberg: I don't know! Anyone. I'm doing nothing, I'm not tied to anyone. How many times do we have to go over it. Jesus! I should be with a divorced 38 year old who has teenage kids and low expectations about life. I don't wanna fucking do this anymore. God!
- [Florence slowly walks out and slams door]
- Roger Greenberg: Can I get another scotch?
- Ivan Schrank: That's the busboy.
- Roger Greenberg: Then can I get another fork? This one has food on it.