Edie Brickell (born 10 March 1966) is an American singer-songwriter who became famous with the hit "What I Am" as the lead singer of the folk rock group Edie Brickell & New Bohemians. She is the wife of Paul Simon.
- Sail through the sea of sad faces with love.
Love. Love for everyone.
Drift like a little boat on a wave.
- "Big Day Little Boat" on Edie Brickell & New Bohemians : Ultimate Collection (2002)
- I really thought I could give it up... But I really love music, and having a creative outlet is really the best thing you can do for yourself.
- He made me mess the song up when I looked at him... We can show the kids the tape and say, "Look, that's when we first laid eyes on each other."
- In a world religion class, everyone was complicating life and existence by over-thinking. I had this sense it's right here, right now. It's who we are and what we feel. It's not this tangled web of psychology and philosophy. I was driving to band practice and started singing that song. I wanted to be real, not adopt some philosophy or role. Instinct is our driving force.
- On her inspiration for the song "What I Am" in "Edie Brickell, New Bohemians Return to The Fillmore" in San Francisco Bay Times (12 October 2006)
- Choke me in the shallow water before I get too deep.
- "What I Am"; the earliest references to this clearly indicate "choke" is the word used in the song; since then "chuck me" and "shove me" have sometimes appeared in internet renditions of the lyrics.
- What I am is what I am. Are you what you are — or what?
- "What I Am"
- The village idiots in her bed
Never cared that her eyes were red
Never cared that her brain was dead.
In the hours that her face was alive
It was a thing just to be by her side.
- "Little Miss S."
- Wheels keep on turning and turning and turning
And nothing's disturbing the way they go around.
- "The Wheel"
- All your thoughts are in another head.
Your dreams are sleepin' in a different bed.
The force that moves you is a circular breath
of life and death going round and round and round.
- "The Wheel"
- Maybe you ride a different wave.
Maybe you catch another ray of the sun
That I've just begun to feel.
- "The Wheel"
I don't believe in hatred anymore.
I hate to think of how it felt before
Love like we do.
- "Love Like We Do"
- When I'm all alone it's the best way to be.
When I'm by myself nobody else can say goodbye.
Everything is temporary anyway.
When the streets are wet — the colors slip into the sky.
But I don't know why that means you and I are — that means you and...
I quit, I give up.
Nothin's good enough for anybody else, it seems.
- I notice me. I notice you too.
And there are simple things that we don't even try anymore.
There's a way out of this.
Beat the time.
And every time I turn around
we got some clever way to put each other down.
- "Beat The Time"