Edie Arlisa Brickell (born 10 March 1966) is an American singer-songwriter who became famous with the hit "What I Am" as the lead singer of the folk rock group Edie Brickell & New Bohemians. She is the wife of Paul Simon.
- Sail through the sea of sad faces with love.
Love. Love for everyone.
Drift like a little boat on a wave.
- "Big Day Little Boat" on Edie Brickell & New Bohemians : Ultimate Collection (2002)
- I really thought I could give it up... But I really love music, and having a creative outlet is really the best thing you can do for yourself.
- He made me mess the song up when I looked at him... We can show the kids the tape and say, "Look, that's when we first laid eyes on each other."
- In a world religion class, everyone was complicating life and existence by over-thinking. I had this sense it's right here, right now. It's who we are and what we feel. It's not this tangled web of psychology and philosophy. I was driving to band practice and started singing that song. I wanted to be real, not adopt some philosophy or role. Instinct is our driving force.
- On her inspiration for the song "What I Am" in "Edie Brickell, New Bohemians Return to The Fillmore" in San Francisco Bay Times (12 October 2006)
- Choke me in the shallow water before I get too deep.
- "What I Am"; the earliest references to this clearly indicate "choke" is the word used in the song; since then "chuck me" and "shove me" have sometimes appeared in internet renditions of the lyrics.
- What I am is what I am. Are you what you are — or what?
- "What I Am"
- The village idiots in her bed
Never cared that her eyes were red
Never cared that her brain was dead.
In the hours that her face was alive
It was a thing just to be by her side.
- "Little Miss S."
- Wheels keep on turning and turning and turning
And nothing's disturbing the way they go around.
- "The Wheel"
- All your thoughts are in another head.
Your dreams are sleepin' in a different bed.
The force that moves you is a circular breath
of life and death going round and round and round.
- "The Wheel"
- Maybe you ride a different wave.
Maybe you catch another ray of the sun
That I've just begun to feel.
- "The Wheel"
I don't believe in hatred anymore.
I hate to think of how it felt before
Love like we do.
- "Love Like We Do"
When I'm all alone it's the best way to be.
When I'm by myself nobody else can say goodbye.
Everything is temporary anyway.
When the streets are wet — the colors slip into the sky.
But I don't know why that means you and I are — that means you and...
I quit, I give up.
Nothin's good enough for anybody else, it seems.
I notice me. I notice you too.
And there are simple things that we don't even try anymore.
There's a way out of this.
Beat the time.
And every time I turn around
we got some clever way to put each other down.
- "Beat The Time"