2005 film by Ang Lee
- Directed by Ang Lee. Written by Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana. Original short story by Annie Proulx.
Love is a Force of Nature.
- It's nobody's business but ours.
- Truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.
- You sit down before I knock your ignorant ass into next week!
- I wish I knew how to quit you.
- Brokeback got us good, didn't it?
- You know it could be like this, just like this always.
- There ain't never enough time, never enough...
- You know friend, this is a God damn bitch of an unsatisfactory situation.
Ennis Del MarEdit
- This is a one-shot thing we got goin' on here.
- Two guys livin' together? No way.
- Jack, I swear.
- If you can't fix it, you got a stand it.
- Alma Del Mar: You didn't go up there to fish!
- Alma Del Mar: Don't try and fool me no more, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty!
- Joe Aguirre: You boys sure found a way to make the time pass up there. Twist, you guys wasn't gettin' paid to leave the dogs babysittin' the sheep while you stem the rose.
- Lureen Newsome: What are you waitin' for, cowboy? ...a mating call?
- Cassie Cartwright: You don't say much but you get your point across.
- Jack Twist: Jack Twist.
- Ennis Del Mar: Ennis.
- Jack Twist: Your folks just stopped at Ennis?
- Ennis Del Mar: Del Mar.
- Jack Twist: Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar.
- Ennis Del Mar: You know I'm not no queer.
- Jack Twist: Me neither.
- Ennis Del Mar: Well, I guess I'll see you around, huh?.
- Jack Twist: ...Right.
- Ennis Del Mar: You got your wife and baby in Texas and, you know, I got my life in Riverton.
- Jack Twist: That so? You and Alma, that's a life.
- Ennis Del Mar: Now you shut up about Alma. This ain't her fault. The bottom line is...we're around each other and...this thing grabs hold of us again...in the wrong place...in the wrong time...we're dead.
- Jack Twist: Is there anything interesting up there in heaven? [BM-DVD]
- Ennis Del Mar: [looking up at night sky] I was just sending up a prayer of thanks.
- Jack Twist: For what?
- Ennis Del Mar: For you forgettin' to bring that harmonica. I'm enjoying the peace and quiet.
- Jack Twist: You know it could be like this, just like this, always.
- Ennis Del Mar: Yeah, how you figure that?
- Jack Twist: Once in a while. Every four fuckin' years?
- Ennis Del Mar: If you can't fix it, Jack, you gotta stand it. [IMDb]
- Jack Twist: For how long?
- Ennis Del Mar: For as long as we can ride it. There ain't no reins on this one.
- Ennis Del Mar: I tell ya there... there were these two old guys ranched up together, down home. Earl and Rich. And they was the joke of town, even though they were pretty tough ol' birds. Anyway they... they found Earl dead in an irrigation ditch. Took a tire iron to 'im. Spurred him up, drug him 'round by his dick 'till it pulled off.
- Jack Twist: You seen this?
- Ennis Del Mar: I wasn't but nine years old. My daddy, he made sure me and brother seen it. Hell, for all I know, he done the job.
- Jack Twist: That's more words than you've spoke in the past two weeks.
- Ennis Del Mar: Hell, that's the most I've spoke in a year.
- Ennis Del Mar: I'm gonna tell you this one time, Jack fuckin' Twist, an' I ain't foolin'. What I don't know – all them things I don't know – could get you killed if I come to know them. I ain't jokin'.
- Jack Twist: Yeah well try this one, and I'll say it just once!
- Ennis Del Mar: Go ahead!
- Jack Twist: Tell you what, we coulda had a good life together, fuckin' real good life! Had us a place of our own. But you didn't want it, Ennis! So what we got now is Brokeback Mountain! Everything's built on that, that's all we got boy, fuckin' all. So I hope you know that, if you don't never know the rest! You count the damn few times we have been together in nearly twenty years and you measure the short fucking leash you keep me on, and then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get. You have no idea how bad it gets! I'm not you... I can't make it on a coupla high-altitude fucks once or twice a year! You are too much for me Ennis, you son of a whoreson bitch... I wish I knew how to quit you.
- Ennis Del Mar: Well why don't you? Why don't you just let me be, huh? Because of you, Jack, that I'm like this. I'm nothing... and nowhere.
- Jack Twist: Ennis...
- Ennis Del Mar: Get the fuck off me!
- Jack Twist: Sorry... it's all right. Damn you, Ennis!
- Ennis Del Mar: I can't stand it anymore, Jack!
- Ennis Del Mar: If you don't want no more of my kids, I'll be happy to leave you alone.
- Alma Beers Del Mar: I'd have 'em if you'd support 'em.
- Alma Beers Del Mar: You still go fishing with Jack Twist?
- Ennis Del Mar: Not often.
- Alma Beers Del Mar: You know, I used to wonder how come you never brought any trouts home. You always said you caught plenty, and you know how me and the girls like fish. So one night I got your creel case(ph) open the night before you went on one of your little trips — price tag's still on it after five years — and I tied a note to the end of the line. It said, 'Hello, Ennis, bring some fish home. Love. Alma.' And then you come back looking all perky and said you caught a bunch of browners and you ate them up. Do you remember? I looked in that case first chance I got, and there was my note still tied there. That rod hadn't touched water in its life.
- Ennis Del Mar: Don't mean nothing, Alma.
- Lureen Twist: I thought Brokeback Mountain might be around where he grew up. Knowing Jack, it might be some pretend-place: where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring. [BM-DVD]
- Ennis Del Mar: No ma'am we, we was herding sheep on Brokeback one summer, back in '63.
- Lureen Twist: Well, he said it was his favorite place. I thought he meant "to get drunk." He drank a lot.
- Ennis Del Mar (mourning Jack's death): Jack, I swear...